You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What i miss from photoshop back in the days: More filters/effects

1 hour ago, 2ddpainter said:

the numbers are from wikipedia

I’ve just taken a look at the relevant Wikipedia article: Usage share of operating systems

The article includes this caveat:

the data source uses page views and not unique users for evaluation, for this reason, this data must be considered with caution

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Return said:

As shown on that page, the full set of figures is:

• Windows: 72.99%
  • OS X: 16.13%
  • Unknown: 5.33%
  • Linux: 3.77%
  • Chrome OS: 1.76%
  • FreeBSD: 0.01%

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hey guys, the 2000s have called and want their "Mac vs. PC" debate back!
Yawn. :87_pouting_cat:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

As shown on that page, the full set of figures is:

• Windows: 72.99%
  • OS X: 16.13%
  • Unknown: 5.33%
  • Linux: 3.77%
  • Chrome OS: 1.76%
  • FreeBSD: 0.01%

Looks about right, at the same time macos buyers often have more money and are more oriented towards creative work than windows users. Im not just saying that, i see that, people that want stable machines that are not in the way of their work, go for mac. We used only macs when i took graphical design course about 25 years ago. If you have a machine to display graphics to a huge audience for example, you also go for mac for the stability. You dont buy an expensive mac if you primiarily want to game. If you view it this way i think the two groups are not far from eachother regarding customer base in actual numbers. And with apple silicon, you get much more for your money in terms of raw computing power compared to what you used to get when mac ran on intel machines aswell, when macs now are much better purchase i cant see other than it tipping the balance in favour of mac when customers realize this.

9 minutes ago, loukash said:

Hey guys, the 2000s have called and want their "Mac vs. PC" debate back!
Yawn. :87_pouting_cat:

Its not really about that though. I think my cheap windows laptop is great for what it is, you get windows laptops for a fraction of the price of a mac laptop that does almost the same. I dont use it that much though so its not important for me that its stable. But the home computer i do serious work on and which is on 24/7 is a mac.

8 hours ago, saint77 said:

Is it the apple silicon switch they made?

Nope I don't think so, as you also don't find G'MIC PS Plugin for Mac Intel architecture versions alone.

There's a Windows build for PS & APh, but not for macOS ...

I think it's overall more to get all the needed resources & dependencies (PS C++ API, QT, G'MIC, ...) compiled & build the right successful way under macOS here. The whole takes a bunch of time and is involved by a lot of trying & error, so is no trivial task. - Thus all in all it's situation wise similar to the initially named filter forge (or worser in terms of a macOS PS plugin).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Nope I don't think so, as you also don't find G'MIC PS Plugin for Mac Intel architecture versions alone.

There's a Windows build for PS & APh, but not for macOS ...

I think it's overall more to get all the needed resources & dependencies (PS C++ API, QT, G'MIC, ...) compiled & build the right successful way under macOS here. The whole takes a bunch of time and is involved by a lot of trying & error, so is no trivial task. - Thus all in all it's situation wise similar to the initially named filter forge (or worser in terms of a macOS PS plugin).

How many coders would it take to make it compatible you think? 3? 4? And with 16% of global markets using macs, which is like 100 million computers or so, if 1% is interested in buying filter forge, thats 1 million sales they miss out on.

Even the fact that theres a lack of for example gmic support for mac, should make filter forge even more interested in getting into that market.

Dont tell me theres not money to earn here.

2 hours ago, saint77 said:

How many coders would it take to make it compatible you think? 3? 4?

Do you mean that filter forge or the G'MIC plugin?

If you look into the one above shown link you can see & read there at least ...

[Q] Is the current plug-in meant to be compatible with MacOS?

No, it is currently only available for Windows.

Both the plugin and G'MIC would have to be recompiled on macOS.
G'MIC does not currently offer a macOS build for any image editor.
I designed the plugin so that it should be possible to port it to macOS, but there is also a fairly large amount of OS-specific code that would have to be rewritten.

I also do not have any experience with macOS development.

... so I assume the G'MIC plugin has been build mainly by one person (coder). But probably the author (?) of G'MIC, who then in turn of course knows his code internals well. - Other than that there's an old GIMP 2.11 based macOS G'MIC plugin port (...don't know if that still works actual GIMP versions).

2 hours ago, saint77 said:

Even the fact that theres a lack of for example gmic support for mac, should make filter forge even more interested in getting into that market.

They did as far as I can see, as they offer a macOS PS plugin...

On Mac

• Mac OS X 10.15 or a newer system
  • Intel or Apple (M1) CPU
  • 4 GB RAM

On Mac

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Do you mean that filter forge or the G'MIC plugin?

If you look into the one above shown link you can see & read there at least ...

... so I assume the G'MIC plugin has been build mainly by one person (coder). But probably the author (?) of G'MIC, who then in turn of course knows his code internals well. - Other than that there's an old GIMP 2.11 based macOS G'MIC plugin port (...don't know if that still works actual GIMP versions).

They did as far as I can see, as they offer a macOS PS plugin...

eh yes for photoshop, not affinity. Guess i shuld have written that. Photoshop isnt interesting to me, who cares about them, i dont RENT software. But thats why it somewhat works in affinity too.

Maybe this has been posted previously, but it's worth mentioning in this thread. James Ritson (Affinity Photo Product Expert) has created a LOT of great Macros to generate artistic effects, photo editing effects, Sharpening routines and other cool filters. Many of his Macro packages are FREE to download and import into Affinity Photo, and a few are available at very low cost. His JR FILTER GALLERY MACROS V4 is free and has a lot of very cool effects, artistic filters, etc. Most of them are highly customizable too. Many of these effects use Procedural Texture Filters (good for learning about how to create them), and I think all (or most) of his macros are non-destructive. Worth checking out!

https://jamesritson.co.uk/resources.html

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

25 minutes ago, saint77 said:

eh yes for photoshop, not affinity. Guess i shuld have written that. Photoshop isnt interesting to me, who cares about them, i dont RENT software. But thats why it somewhat works in affinity too.

To be honest, I'm not really up to date with plugins.
But even if Photoshop was specified, shouldn't a plugin
for MacOS also work for Affinity Photo and others of course?

1 hour ago, saint77 said:

Depends on the PS API they've (filter forge) used for their plugin. The Affinity plugin API (AFAIK) relies on a subset of an older Adobe PS C++ SDK interface, so probably nothing which actual, more modern PS plugin implementations, are using nowadays anymore (...as Adobe has over time reworked/renewed their APIs & SDKs). - But that's all something some PS Plugin developer can tell much better in detail here.

19 hours ago, Ldina said:

Maybe this has been posted previously, but it's worth mentioning in this thread. James Ritson (Affinity Photo Product Expert) has created a LOT of great Macros to generate artistic effects, photo editing effects, Sharpening routines and other cool filters. Many of his Macro packages are FREE to download and import into Affinity Photo, and a few are available at very low cost. His JR FILTER GALLERY MACROS V4 is free and has a lot of very cool effects, artistic filters, etc. Most of them are highly customizable too. Many of these effects use Procedural Texture Filters (good for learning about how to create them), and I think all (or most) of his macros are non-destructive. Worth checking out!

https://jamesritson.co.uk/resources.html

These look cool, thanks. I wish affinity spent time replicating the artistic filters from photoshop though and maybe added some more more general purpose artistic filters, then filter forge could do what they want with mac compatibility, i wouldnt need them. But yes, things like this makes affinity better for graphics creation.

21 minutes ago, saint77 said:

I wish affinity spent time replicating the artistic filters

For the record, "Affinity" is the product. It's Serif who needs to spend time. ;) 
And in fact they do spend time on Good Things™: Application scripting has been confirmed to be in active development, and that may likely also include some kind of plugin API. 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, loukash said:

For the record, "Affinity" is the product. It's Serif who needs to spend time. ;) 
And in fact they do spend time on Good Things™: Application scripting has been confirmed to be in active development, and that may likely also include some kind of plugin API. 

If this means affinity (im just used to calling them that) or SERIF opens up affinity photo to what could become a huge catalogue of filters like filter forge, then all i cay say is GOD BLESS THEM! That would be fantastic.