You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Corrupting Parts of Files on Import

This has been an issue since at least July. When importing photos into Affinity for editing, it adds this strange corruption that you can see on the right edge of the attached image.

The worst part is that this also causes the image files themselves to have these lines introduced. Sometimes the line corruption is so bad that it completely ruins images forever. I have lost some of my favorite photos to this bug, which desperately needs fixing. If I can't resolve this, I will have no choice but to switch to another RAW processor because I can't afford to keep losing images to this kind of corruption.

Screenshot 2024-02-04 143846.png

Edited by Syberkonda

I don't see anything resembling corruption on the right edge, or anywhere else. 

Ah, now I see it.

ScreenShot2024-02-04at12_23_25PM.png.bc0017c760b7ca6164fa773c8c299ee7.png

42 minutes ago, Syberkonda said:

... When importing photos into Affinity for editing, ...

Importing how? What sort of photos? Are these raw files? Affinity Photo (most likely) or Designer or Publisher? What is the original horizontal dimension in pixels and what is the horizontal dimension in pixels once opened?

I am truly at a loss as to what could be happening here.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

I don't see anything resembling corruption on the right edge, or anywhere else. 

Ah, now I see it.

ScreenShot2024-02-04at12_23_25PM.png.bc0017c760b7ca6164fa773c8c299ee7.png

Importing how? What sort of photos? Are these raw files? Affinity Photo (most likely) or Designer or Publisher? What is the original horizontal dimension in pixels and what is the horizontal dimension in pixels once opened?

I am truly at a loss as to what could be happening here.

This is affinity photo and it's happening with both RAWs and jpegs. The horizontal dimension in pixels is 4736, which is the same once opened. I'm importing it into Affinity Photo using the "open with" dialogue in Windows, but this also happens when opening an image from within Affinity. The issue also happens whether the images are stored on my NAS or locally.

3 minutes ago, Syberkonda said:

This is affinity photo and it's happening with both RAWs and jpegs. The horizontal dimension in pixels is 4736, which is the same once opened.

Could you check your camera and see if the raw file size is 4736? Affinity Photo tries to use the entire sensor's image data and a lot of other software ignores the edges.

I haven't seen this and I use Canon's CR2 raw files and the Serif raw engine as opposed to the Apple raw engine which is available to Mac OS users. It is a Sunday afternoon here on the Wet Left Coast, I am sure that others with more experience will chime in once the real week begins, sit tight.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Could you check your camera and see if the raw file size is 4736? Affinity Photo tries to use the entire sensor's image data and a lot of other software ignores the edges.

I haven't seen this and I use Canon's CR2 raw files and the Serif raw engine as opposed to the Apple raw engine which is available to Mac OS users. It is a Sunday afternoon here on the Wet Left Coast, I am sure that others with more experience will chime in once the real week begins, sit tight.

This photo was taken using my A7IV's APS-C mode. I just took a new image and the horizontal dimension is 4736 on the RAW file when shooting in APS-C mode. However, this has also occurred with full-frame files and even jpegs from my Pixel 6 Pro in the past.

This image of two flamboyant cuttlefish shot using my Pixel 6 Pro in jpeg form was corrupted in July 2023, however the image has existed since the previous December and was already posted online. Unfortunately, the corruption was so bad that it corrupted the bottom half of the image. I ended up having to Frankenstein what was left over of the full res file with lower res versions of the image posted online. Unfortunately I don't have the corrupt version of this image anymore.

Notably, this occurred when importing the image into Affinity over an OpenVPN tunnel that I was using to connect to my Synology NAS while I was out of state. The more recent corruptions have occurred regardless of whether I am using OpenVPN to connect to my NAS or whether I am on the same network as my NAS. It also occurs when I have the image stored locally on my computer and not my NAS.

Curiously, the DSM viewer does not seem to acknowledge that the corrupt pixels exist. By that, I mean that the corrupted pixels are missing altogether in its preview of the images, as though the image were cropped. However, this corruption again only occurs after importing a file into affinity for editing.

PXL_20211222_235318301.jpg

Edited by Syberkonda

36 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I was thinking the same thing. But they're mentioning bottom half of an image now in the above post...

@Syberkonda Can you attach a throw away RAW we can just test ourselves on our end? It would exclude your setup. (Something non-important but shows corruption for you)

50 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

I was thinking the same thing. But they're mentioning bottom half of an image now in the above post...

@Syberkonda Can you attach a throw away RAW we can just test ourselves on our end? It would exclude your setup. (Something non-important but shows corruption for you)

Here you go! Thanks for offering to test!

OSK07731.ARW

On 2/4/2024 at 9:44 PM, Syberkonda said:

Curiously, the DSM viewer does not seem to acknowledge that the corrupt pixels exist. By that, I mean that the corrupted pixels are missing altogether in its preview of the images, as though the image were cropped. However, this corruption again only occurs after importing a file into affinity for editing.

I don't think your images are corrupted by Affinity Photo; it seems to be the reverse. Affinity is too generous. It shows all, even the "rotten" edges.
Old Bruce said it already:

On 2/4/2024 at 9:41 PM, Old Bruce said:

Affinity Photo tries to use the entire sensor's image data and a lot of other software ignores the edges.

Other image editing software give a smaller size to your image and even miss some of the real pixels seeable in AP, beside the repeated pixels.

PNG50-Capturedcran2024-02-0423_44_28.png.06f23973c513cc1cd67a74ac5684ca8d.png

It looks like Affinity does not use the same dimensions for your file (4736 × 3132 pixels, where Preview and Graphic Converter announce 4608 × 3072) and then it eventually repeats the edge pixels on right or bottom sides to extend the image to fill it. (Or this comes from the camera…)

Note also: in AP, there are extra pixels, well drawn, at the bottom of your photo (height 3132 vs. 3072). 

But what troubles me is that if I set a guide at 4608 pixels, it is smaller than what I see in other programs?
Look how the white shell is complete in Preview (said to be 4608 pixels wide) but the blue guide set in Affinity at 4608 pixels is crossing the shell ??

PNG50-Capturedcran2024-02-0500_14_06.png.2aaa60a4b41dae7093b59f4d78269fbc.png

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

1 hour ago, Oufti said:

But what troubles me is that if I set a guide at 4608 pixels, it is smaller than what I see in other programs?
Look how the white shell is complete in Preview (said to be 4608 pixels wide) but the blue guide set in Affinity at 4608 pixels is crossing the shell ??

Did you account for the extra pixels on both the left and right edge of the sensor that Affinity Photo will show? In other words, start from the center and count outward to the documented sensor size.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Oufti said:

I don't think your images are corrupted by Affinity Photo; it seems to be the reverse. Affinity is too generous. It shows all, even the "rotten" edges.
Old Bruce said it already:

Other image editing software give a smaller size to your image and even miss some of the real pixels seeable in AP, beside the repeated pixels.

PNG50-Capturedcran2024-02-0423_44_28.png.06f23973c513cc1cd67a74ac5684ca8d.png

It looks like Affinity does not use the same dimensions for your file (4736 × 3132 pixels, where Preview and Graphic Converter announce 4608 × 3072) and then it eventually repeats the edge pixels on right or bottom sides to extend the image to fill it. (Or this comes from the camera — I don't know exactly how it works…)

Note also: in AP, there are extra pixels, well drawn, at the bottom of your photo (height 3132 vs. 3072). 

PNG50-Capturedcran2024-02-0500_14_06.png.2aaa60a4b41dae7093b59f4d78269fbc.png

Very interesting, the Windows 11 photo app shows 4736 X 3132, as does GIMP.

I'm looking online and it looks like the A7IV's APS-C mode is in fact 4608 X 3072. What's even weirder is that many of my APS-C images don't have any "rotten" pixels in them at all, yet Affinity and the Windows 11 photo app see them as 4736 X 3132.

When affinity brings in full-frame images, which are supposed to be 7008 X 4672, it brings them in as 7028 X 4688, but doesn't usually show any rotten pixels.

I wonder if there's a way to disable bringing in these edge pixels. image.thumb.png.4741e78e8856761878de516fdc253fb9.png

Edited by Syberkonda

48 minutes ago, Syberkonda said:

I wonder if there's a way to disable bringing in these edge pixels. 

No. 

If they're not useful to you, on a given image or in general, you must crop them off. Or use a different raw developer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you use lens correction (which most people want), specifically barrel distortion correction, there is no longer any 1:1 relation between RAW sensor pixel (x and y amount) and resulting pixel amount, as transparent areas are normally cut off. 

I have no actual evidence, but I assume most RAW converter will actually scale the image to the „advertised“ pixel size to preserve the field of view.

To find out, we can try to compare out of camera jpg with RAW files with lens correction activated / not activated in Affinity (new stack)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I opened the OP image in both AP 2.3.1 and the current Beta 2.4.0.2256.

AP 2.3 reports the size as 4736 x 3132 and shows the smearing

AP 2.4 reports the size as 4692 x 3132 and there is no smearing.

FWIW, Corel PSP opened the image showing the 4736 dimension and the smearing.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @Syberkonda & thanks for your report!

Our most recent version of LibRAW in Affinity Photo V2 retail - which the app uses to develop RAW files - had only just introduced support for the Sony A7 IV when it was added to Affinity Photo and this version of LibRAW imports the full sensor size for the image, which may show additional pixels not present in other editors/image viewers.

However as Ron has mentioned above, Affinity Photo V2.4 beta includes an update to LibRAW - which seemingly has corrected the import size for these RAW files to be auto-cropped to the expected size and therefore no longer displays these additional pixels.

If you'd like to sign up and test the beta before this update is released, you can find out how in the below post -

Alternatively, if you don't wish to install a beta version alongside your retail version then I'd recommend simply cropping the images in Develop, until this update is released.

I hope this helps :)