You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange artefacts on RAW files loaded to Photo 2.4

Photo 2.4 has recently included compatibility with RAW files for Sony A6700. On first try loading a RAW file, there are strange coloured artefacts in various parts of the photo. I have turned of warnings for clipped highlights and shadows, but they remain. If the file is developed then reloaded to the develop persona, the artefacts are gone.

image.png.916d908545d191430765b194b6ac1743.png

A6700340.ARW

• Staff

Hi @Gerarbara,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your report and file. I'm logging this to be looked at.

NOTE: For anyone else having issues with RAW files from cameras listed in this topic  - Additional RAW format support - please report the problems there along with a sample RAW file for us to investigate and fix the issues. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I'm suddenly getting the exact same types of artefacts in Photo 2.4 with Pentax raw files. Reinstalled 2.0, fine. Upped to 2.1, fine. Upped to 2.4, same problem again. So for now I'm back with 2.1. Never was a problem before.

Hi @Mik Laver and welcome to the forums.

Can you provide us with a sample RAW file, and the specs from your computer? Are the drivers for the GPU up to date?

And in the meantime try it with deactivated hardware acceleration (Menu Edit > Settings... > Performance)

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 hour ago, Mik Laver said:

I'm suddenly getting the exact same types of artefacts in Photo 2.4 with Pentax raw files. Reinstalled 2.0, fine. Upped to 2.1, fine. Upped to 2.4, same problem again. So for now I'm back with 2.1. Never was a problem before.

Possibly:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Can you please let me know if this artefacting is still happening in the new 2.4.2 beta released today 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@Gerarbara

Thanks that is good news. Please can you confirm that your beta is using hardware acceleration and openCL in preferences. The release and beta do not share these settings.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I have just edited a RAW file with my Sony A7R IV (not Sony A6700) and artefacts are being shown where they weren't in an earlier stable

On 3/29/2024 at 5:57 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@Gerarbara

Thanks that is good news. Please can you confirm that your beta is using hardware acceleration and openCL in preferences. The release and beta do not share these settings.

release.

• Staff

Oh dear. We are not completely sure this was 100% resolved so sounds like this 2.4.2 beta is not all of the solution. Thanks for coming back and sharing 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

FWIW - I've just downloaded 2.4.2 and tried opening some old RAW files.  A quick sample from an old Minolta camera (.MRW files), Canon 20D (.cr2) and Sony cameras (NEX-7, A7 and A7R IIIa - .arw format) all seem to work fine.  OpenCL is on. 

• Staff

The issue "RAW files have Artefacts when opened in 2.4.0/2.4.1" (REF: AF-2178) has been looked at by the developers and a potential fix added in internal build "2.4.2.2356".

This change is planned for inclusion in the next customer release (2.4.2), but the Affinity team would like you to join our beta program and use this beta and let us know if the changes to developing Raw Files on Windows has addressed the issue for your specific hardware.

This customer beta build is announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.

If you still experience this problem once you are using that Beta build version 2.4.2.2356 (or later) please create a thread in the beta forum with a description of your PC hardware including processor and graphics card make/model.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/139-other-new-bugs-and-issues-in-the-betas/

I am already a beta user with 2.4.2.2356. My Sony A6700 issue appears to have been fixed. However, my Sony A7R IV RAW files show artefacts in the beta and stable 2.4.1, whereas they did not originally using a stable version. I don't know if this helps, but the artifacts, which comprise vertical lines in a block, move around the photo when viewed at different zoom levels.

Gerard

GAH04608.ARW GAH04641.ARW

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Please could you try the new 2.5.0 beta with Hardware Acceleration ON (join our beta program) and see if the problem has been addressed for you? 

Can you report your findings in this linked beta thread below made to share the results.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd