You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2. How to merge photos with realsize

Just now, anto said:

But Scale to Min Fit takes the value from the frame size, not the photo size. Right?

Yes, I'm afraid. The image will be resized to fit in the frame, not the reverse. 

In this case, Scale to 'None' would be the best choice for Picture frames because it's not resizing the image (as far as they have the same resolution as the document resolution, see above) but it implies that each frame should then be resized manually… 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

5 minutes ago, anto said:

But Scale to Min Fit takes the value from the frame size, not the photo size. Right?

You wrote:

19 minutes ago, anto said:

They were scanned by several people on different scanners with different resolutions. There were small photos and large ones. I have these photos.

So you know what sizes the frames should be.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

So you know what sizes the frames should be.

I'll make the frames more or less medium, because I'll do it all through merging and then editing. Because the photos are both horizontal and vertical.

It would be nice if there was an option in Select Same - Resolution (DPI).
Or in Resource manager, it would be possible to add a tag color to the photo. Then only the selected ones could be edited in a batch.

On 1/29/2024 at 7:46 AM, anto said:

I want to have images in real size.

11 hours ago, anto said:

It turns out that the images have different resolutions - 300 and 600 dpi.
Although the size in cm is the same.

The dpi of Publisher's document is 300 dpi.
How can I make sure that Publisher doesn't pay attention to the dpi and inserts the correct size in cm?

Since Affinity documents have a certain resolution there is no way to ignore it and image placement takes the document resolution in account (while it ignores a dpi set in the images).

Interestingly the document resolution influences the image size only when placing an image. Once it is placed, a change of the document resolution does not change the placed size of already placed images but adjusts their placed resolution instead.

5 hours ago, anto said:

It would be nice if there was an option in Select Same - Resolution (DPI).
Or in Resource manager, it would be possible to add a tag color to the photo. Then only the selected ones could be edited in a batch.

How about the batch process before placing the images? If you place a large sized image (alias 600 dpi) in reduced size in a 300 dpi document you don't use the full resolution of the image. Accordingly you don't need 600 dpi for these images. Your batch process could be to set the size/resolution of all 600 dpi images to 300 dpi (or to the dpi you want to use for the layout) and resample their size accordingly (-> reduced pixel dimensions and file size). As mentioned, this would be required before image placement to affect the placed image sizes.

Alternative (cumbersome + nothing for Data Merge): Change the document resolution for image placement: Set it to 300 dpi to place all 300 dpi images and set it to 600 to place all 600 dpi images. Then in each image gets placed in the size that you call its "real"/"correct" size.

Or: create two separate documents: one with 300 dpi for the 300 dpi images and one with 600 dpi for the 600 dpi images. Each document will contain images in their "real"/"correct" size. If all images are placed you can "merge" the two documents via "Add Pages from File…" while all the placed image sizes will be maintained.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

Alternative (cumbersome + nothing for Data Merge): Change the document resolution for image placement: Set it to 300 dpi to place all 300 dpi images and set it to 600 to place all 600 dpi images. Then in each image gets placed in the size that you call its "real"/"correct" size.

This is difficult to do because there are 200+ photos that are placed in folders (by sections), and it is not known in advance which photo has what resolution (you need to view and sort them).

Another question. In order not to lose the quality of the images, can I make the document resolution 600 dpi and adjust all the images to 600 dpi?

2 hours ago, anto said:

Is it correct settings?

I think the image dpi does not matter for Affinity, relevant is the pixel dimension. You need to downsize your those images. Should be possible via APhoto batch, too.

27 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I think the image dpi does not matter for Affinity, relevant is the pixel dimension. You need to downsize your those images. Should be possible via APhoto batch, too.

I changed the DPI as in the picture above, but I don't know what happened to the pixels, how they changed.
And all the photos were inserted into the document with 600 DPI correctly.

Aphoto doesn't seem to be able to change the resolution in batches. I just looked it up.

7 minutes ago, anto said:

I changed the DPI as in the picture above, but I don't know what happened to the pixels, how they changed.

If all you did was change the DPI metadata, then no pixels will have been added or taken away.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• Staff
11 minutes ago, anto said:

Aphoto doesn't seem to be able to change the resolution in batches. I just looked it up.

If you're looking to adjust the DPI of the images only using batch processing, please use the Macros provided below - 

19 minutes ago, anto said:

And all the photos were inserted into the document with 600 DPI correctly.

As mentioned, the dpi setting which is saved with an image is not relevant when placing it in Affinity. If you get them placed now with their 600 dpi in a different size in the 300 dpi Affinity layout it indicates you changed the pixel dimension of the image: Your screenshot shows the option "Keep print size" which is an UI equivalent to the Affinity option "Resample". This option decides whether you just assign a different dpi or indeed resize the image (-> its total amount of pixels ('Megapixels')).

In the Affinity dialog also the currently selected unit matters: if set to Pixels a change of DPI has a different affect than a physical unit like Millimetres. If you play around with the DPI slider + the "Resample" option checked/unchecked and toggle the "Units" you will notice differences in the interface (e.g. grayed-out pixel dimensions (for px) or inactive aspect ratio lock (for mm) and see the "Size" changing or not.

Pixels:
Bildschirmfoto2024-03-04um12_07_55.jpg.4b8243b508d02b99ad8e78ae7f7bd51d.jpg Bildschirmfoto2024-03-04um12_16_14.jpg.7ca8f8c2df70fc4a6db83761a244f3a7.jpg

Millimetres:
Bildschirmfoto2024-03-04um12_08_16.jpg.1434334aed379b70ef8a0d493ffde67f.jpg