You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Human Evolution poster

nomi02118

My brother bought a new place and requested I make him a poster on human evolution using the skulls. It took a while to research and decide what would work and to weed through alternative ways to present to timeline. The images were draw  in AP and it was set up in Apub.  The illustrations separately are on 15x15" canvases and the printed poster will be 12x18". 

Human evolution.jpg

This is a fantastic poster!.. well done!....are the skulls raster or vector?

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 minute ago, StuartRc said:

This is a fantastic poster!.. well done!....are the skulls raster or vector?

raster, i love vector for some things but this i wanted a more natural media look. Like older book illustrations.  Thank you! 

1 minute ago, StuartRc said:

4 minutes ago, nomi02118 said:

raster, i love vector for some things but this i wanted a more natural media look. Like older book illustrations.  Thank you! 

Thanks!....have a look at https://www.kenniskennis.com/

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2415
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

@nomi02118 Just some extra little ‘nit-picks’, all in the cause of getting it right before printing:

1. sometimes you use .xx (without the leading zero) but one time you use 0.xx (with a leading zero);
  2. mostly there is a space before the dash in the 'date range' but in “500- 25” there isn’t one;
  3. The names of “Homo Gautengensis” and “Home Antecessor” aren’t lined up with the other names on the right-hand side (or visa versa).
  4. The kerning of the title looks a bit ‘off’ to me (e.g. too much space between U and M, etc.), but that could just be me.

Great poster by the way, I just think it could be tweaked a little to make it even better.

11 minutes ago, GarryP said:

@nomi02118 Just some extra little ‘nit-picks’, all in the cause of getting it right before printing:

1. sometimes you use .xx (without the leading zero) but one time you use 0.xx (with a leading zero);
  2. mostly there is a space before the dash in the 'date range' but in “500- 25” there isn’t one;
  3. The names of “Homo Gautengensis” and “Home Antecessor” aren’t lined up with the other names on the right-hand side (or visa versa).
  4. The kerning of the title looks a bit ‘off’ to me (e.g. too much space between U and M, etc.), but that could just be me.

Great poster by the way, I just think it could be tweaked a little to make it even better.

I have to thank you for doing all the preprint editing for me! I "finish" something then don't look at it for a while, like a day or two so I can see it with fresh eyes before I send it out because I don't have anyone else to pick out mistakes for me. I am very encouraged by the positive responses. Maybe I will do another for fun with dinosaurs or something. 

Whilst in nitpicking mode, can I point out that scientific names have only the first word (the generic name) capitalised. The remaining words are all lower case. For example Homo erectus pekinensis.

The central skull should be named  Homo habilis, not Homo habitus.

A very nice poster!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

Whilst in nitpicking mode, can I point out that scientific names have only the first word (the generic name) capitalised. The remaining words are all lower case. For example Homo erectus pekinensis.

The central skull should be named  Homo habilis, not Homo habitus.

A very nice poster!

John

Thank you very much!