You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designating one item in group for snapping etc? (Publisher)

Hello!

Is there a way I can select an object in a group to be the object that will be the thing that  will snap or align on a page while still keeping the other objects in the group in the positions relative to that key object.  i.e if I have a text box with an image etc next to it but want to centre that text box on a page while keeping that image in the same position in relation to the text box

Sorry for my convoluted sentence structure!

Paul 

I'm assuming you are using publisher from the page reference.

From what I understand, wouldn't dragging the group do what you want? if the text file is bigger e.g. longer than the centre of the group will be the centre of the text frame, the only way it wouldn't work would be if the image was bigger than the text frame, so that the group centre would be the centre of the image.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I'm probably explaining myself badly.  The upload image gives you example, it is a group that consists of text boxes, shapes etc. I want the text box to be centre on the page (for example) but at the moment it uses the whole group as it's point of reference rather than the text box. Is there a way in publisher you can nominate an item in a group to be the thing it uses for such operations?

image.png

44 minutes ago, Paul Round said:

it is a group that consists of text boxes, shapes etc. I want the text box to be centre on the page (for example) but at the moment it uses the whole group as it's point of reference rather than the text box.

I would just include in the group a rectangle that is the width of the page and set its fill and stroke to clear. Arrange the various items as you like.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

21 minutes ago, Paul Round said:

... Just to clarify, what is that first step where you have a small circle? Sorry for the noob question

Took me a while to figure it out. That is the Control key being held down when the four way arrow is shown close to the "centre" mark. Look at the bottom left of the window and you'll see a bunch of useful options.

ScreenShot2024-01-17at12_47_12PM.png.c5858cd6d38aaabcef64cb08984ef53a.png

ScreenShot2024-01-17at12_48_09PM.png.cb5d316a68e4f701508c7bdf1b78961d.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

41 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Took me a while to figure it out. That is the Control key being held down when the four way arrow is shown close to the "centre" mark. Look at the bottom left of the window and you'll see a bunch of useful options.

ScreenShot2024-01-17at12_47_12PM.png.c5858cd6d38aaabcef64cb08984ef53a.png

I haven't even got to that point, I'm stuck at that bit right at the start. What's that circular thing that's clicked on?

30 minutes ago, Paul Round said:

I haven't even got to that point, I'm stuck at that bit right at the start. What's that circular thing that's clicked on?

That's called the Transform Origin, When you click on a shape, like the rectangle you will get a context menu just above the workspace, from that menu you can enable the transform origin.

image.png.4ced418fa78596df00ae7ed1e7231db2.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Take a look at the Point Transform tool in Designer or the Vector persona of Publisher.

Did you investigate Point Transform tool as suggested?

It is by far the fastest and easiest way to do what you asked...

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro