You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: "Fit to curve delete node" deserves some improvement

I often have to deal with polygonal pathes, which represents curves*). Look at this comparison between Designer and Inkscape**) (there is a red copy of the line to visualise before and after):

Fittocurvedeletenode.gif.4523cde659f2d3f494aa0f592354771c.gif

As far as I observed, designers "fit to curve"-functionality doesn't handle sharp edges at all. Am I right with this observation? Are there plans to change this? This would turn Designer from an almost perfect to a perfect map drawing tool!

*) the pathes are derived from openstreetmap which has no real curves. So all curves are approximated by small straight lines which results in a large number of nodes, which I'd like to reduce.

**) In case of Inkscape make sure that "Deleting nodes preserve shape" is selected in the preferences.

9 hours ago, max1josef said:

As far as I observed, designers "fit to curve"-functionality doesn't handle sharp edges at all.

Try converting Sharp nodes to Smooth, and then "Fit to Curve".

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Further to what Pšenda has said I think that there is a lack of a curve to be considered due to the straight edges. Semantics has collided with programming.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

13 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Try converting Sharp nodes to Smooth, and then "Fit to Curve".

As I wrote As far as I observed, designers "fit to curve"-functionality doesn't handle sharp edges at all. ", don't you think I haven't already tried that?

The problem with this is, that not only the nodes to be deleted have to be smooth, but also the neighbouring nodes, which influences the shape of the path outside the affected section (turning straight lines into curves).

@Old Bruce I don't know what you're trying to say. Inkscape proves that it is possible.

i feel the same as original poster. nodes protocol tools is badly arranged on Affinity. firstly i think we need simmetrycal nodes as on other applications. but more impprtant is the bad behaviour of adjacent nodes when you delete one node in the middle. on other programs in order to smooth curve lines i used to add nodes temporary just to delete others in the middle to correct slightly forced curves. 

5 hours ago, max1josef said:

@Old Bruce I don't know what you're trying to say. Inkscape proves that it is possible.

Most likely Inkscape's programmers decided to implement code which Affinity programmers decided to not write.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Most likely Inkscape's programmers decided to implement code which Affinity programmers decided to not write.

You have omitted a word in your statement:

Most likely Inkscape's programmers decided to implement good code which Affinity programmers decided to not write.

Seriously: I am not accusing affinity of deliberately writing bad code, but rather of lack of time and prioritizing other tasks.

This is just a suggestion to the Affinity team to improve the "deleting nodes" issue. Nothing more and nothing less.

Inkscape does this OK, but Corel Draw does this phenomenally. Affinity could definitely benefit from looking at/taking inspiration from Inkscape's source code on the Git for the reshape function. This would also benefit from being the default delete behavior. 

But, in defense of affinity's current implementation, even IS and CD can't reshape a set of straight lines in a curved line on node delete. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

3 hours ago, TonyO said:

Inkscape does this OK, but Corel Draw does this phenomenally. Affinity could definitely benefit from looking at/taking inspiration from Inkscape's source code on the Git for the reshape function. This would also benefit from being the default delete behavior. 

But, in defense of affinity's current implementation, even IS and CD can't reshape a set of straight lines in a curved line on node delete. 

Vectorstyler also does this very well. I don't usually have to adjust it much.