You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grouping of elements has stopped working?????

If you select (highlight) 2 layers in the Layers Panel and do Arrange > Group in APhoto

...what happens?

Or Layer > Group in Designer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks for your help - I've been using Affinity Designer for several years now and have never experienced this problem. I tried the layering panel a couple of times but to no avail.  It indicates that the elements are grouped but when I go back to the actual group on the canvas, each element is separate. I really don't know what's happening. Thanks anyway

12 minutes ago, caroline daniell said:

It indicates that the elements are grouped but when I go back to the actual group on the canvas, each element is separate.

This may be due to a new option in V2

With the Move Tool selected you should see an option in the context toolbar call Auto Select if you change the dropdown next to that to Groups, does selecting an item on the canvas then select the group for you

If not we may need you to upload a full-size screenshot of what you are seeing with the Layers panel in view and the Move Tool selected

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I cant see my last post in answer to you, so am sending again.

I don't to have an auto select option in my context toolbar so cannot carry out your suggestion above.

I've tried selecting all elements and grouping to see if that works to no avail.

Like I say I have been using the move tool to group elements for years - yesterday morning when I started to work on my canvas & wanted to group a set of elements it was no longer working.

As well as this, the layers panel itself seems to be playing up.  it doesn't appear to be working in the same way it has been up until yesterday morning.  Perhaps I need a new download of this software program.

I don't think I can capture the problem on camera.

Hope this reaches you and you can help

thanks

30 minutes ago, caroline daniell said:

I don't to have an auto select option in my context toolbar so cannot carry out your suggestion above.

In V2 when the Move Tool is selected & you click on an object to select it, that should appear in the context toolbar, along with the popup menu for Default, Objects, or Groups. It looks like this:

auto-select.jpg.39700a20298b84b290c19e81f0fe1cf3.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, caroline daniell said:

thanks - I have tried this suggestion but there's no auto-select option coming up in the context bar when I have elements selected with the Move Tool. I've looked at every option given in the context bar but can't find anything saying auto select.  I don't know what's going on!

Left to right, what do you see on the context toolbar?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On the lower bar:

Elipse, fill, stroke, none, convert to donut, convert to pie, enable transform origin, hide selection while dragging, show alignment handles, transform objects separately, convert to curves, allow selection..., align left centre right top middle bottom

On upper bar:

Designer Persona, pixel persona, export persona, synchronise defaults from selection, revert defaults, pixel view mode & 2 other options, move options x 4, flip options x 4, alignment, force pixel alignment, snapping, add, divide

And the usual drop down menus at the top - file, edit, text, layer, select, view, window, help

27 minutes ago, caroline daniell said:

Elipse, fill, stroke, none, convert to donut, convert to pie, enable transform origin, hide selection while dragging, show alignment handles, transform objects separately, convert to curves, allow selection..., align left centre right top middle bottom

That sounds like you have the Ellipse or another of the 'quick shape' tools selected, not the Move Tool.

Affinity Photo 

It says elipse if i select a circle with the move tool, rectangle if i select a rectangle shape etc.  so I do definitely have the move tool selected.  Like I say I've been using this program for the last few years & use grouping all the time!  So it's not like I don't know what the move tool + grouping should do - the group option comes up at the top in the context bar when I select elements, I go to it & click on it (which usually works) but, when I return to what I hoped I had grouped, the elements are all separate!  

18 minutes ago, caroline daniell said:

It says elipse if i select a circle with the move tool, rectangle if i select a rectangle shape etc. ...

Have nothing selected, just the move tool and nothing in the layers panel selected. Nothing at all.

ScreenShot2023-11-19at5_26_09PM.png.8636d31b8898804259571f611fc886a5.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, caroline daniell said:

with nothing selected I click on No Selection in context bar and auto-select or default options do not come up/show - nothing comes up.  I can see the other 2 headings - document set up & Preferences.  That's it!

Are you using Designer 2 2.2.1 ?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Any chance you can update to the current version? 
And screenshots or even better a screen recording would really help to see what is going on.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Ok I've updated the current version and tried grouping - but it's still not working.  I've also started having some other weird things happen when I'm trying to group elements in a vertical stripe! Like they move into a  cluster block!

I'll try and do screenshots tomorrow. I doubt I  can get a recording but will give it a go.

thanks for your help

1 hour ago, caroline daniell said:

group elements in a vertical stripe! Like they move into a  cluster block!

stripe? cluster block? – How are grouped elements arranged in the Layers Panel? Are they for instance nested as child layers within/below a parent layer? If yes, what happens to the visibility of the elements if you select to hide their parent layer in the Layers panel?

If you are in macOS, a screencast video can get created by pressing Command-Shift-5. https://support.apple.com/HT208721

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, caroline daniell said:

I doubt I  can get a recording but will give it a go

If all else fails you can use your mobile phone to record your screen and upload that footage. Sometimes that actually works better because you can also narrate what you doing and seeing, if it's not obvious in a screen recording

3 hours ago, caroline daniell said:

Ok I've updated the current version and tried grouping - but it's still not working.

How specifically are you trying to select one or more items to put into a group? Also, do you now have the Auto-select item on the Move Tool context toolbar, & if so is it enabled?

3 hours ago, caroline daniell said:

I've also started having some other weird things happen when I'm trying to group elements in a vertical stripe! Like they move into a  cluster block!

Are you talking about using any of the align options on selected items? If so, what does that have to do with putting items into groups?

Affinity Photo