You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Artifact with Text - 2096/2114

• Staff

Only my M1 Air. I will need to do some poking in the office with more hardware. We generally expect what we call a second render pass when using Automatic or Low but not to the extent in the above screen recordings. Maybe a bit of flashing.

The High quality pass just does a single, longer render pass.

Hi @Chris B,

Out of interest, are you running Sonoma on your M1 Air?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

5 hours ago, Hangman said:

I believe the problem is caused by the Retina Rendering setting

I also experienced unusual flickering when working with the latest Publisher beta but when switching to either Low Quality or High Quality option the flickering went away. Unfortunately, I can't remember whether this type of flickering took place on earlier betas.

I'm on Ventura 13.6.3.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

4 minutes ago, Seneca said:

I also experienced unusual flickering when working with the latest Publisher beta but when switching to either Low Quality or High Quality option the flickering went away.

Curiouser and curiouser but in many ways good that others are experiencing the issue as well though odd that @Chris B isn't...

5 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Unfortunately, I can't remember whether this type of flickering took place on earlier betas.

I certainly didn't notice it prior to the current Beta 2.3.0.2114 but it looks as though it may have been there on 2.3.0.2096 as well based on the thread title...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

@Chris B I know that the fix isn't listed in today beta, but just to confirm that it is hapenning too in 2139, one thing i've noticed when i have used the apps with the retina rendering with high, even with smaller docs, the overall performance of the app is too slow compared to what i'm used to. Don't know if it was expected because of that setting, but i'm now only using retail. ( @MattP know how much i love using beta apps even for daily work 😂 )

Another new build 2157 and the problem is still there.

I've double checked all my settings, all are the same, with the exact same file the 2.2.1 retail work well the last betas don't.

Please take a closer look to this because i will not update my retail version if this is not solved, because the workarounds cost me performance.

Thank you.

• Staff

Hey dcarvalho84,

Sorry this hasn't been fixed yet. This would not be an easy fix as it would likely require a complete overhaul of the rendering engine. The issue is logged with the developers for their consideration. You will be notified when a fix is made and tested by QA via the Serif Info Bot.

I would, for now, set the renderer to either Low Quality (Fastest) or High Quality (Slowest) until the developers get around to addressing this. For what it's worth, I always set my setting to High Quality as it gives the best user experience and if you've got a half-decent machine, you will likely never notice any extreme issues. May I ask what kind of performance hit you see?

So, @Chris B today i've done some more tests trying to find out what's going on. The first was simply turn my laptop on, without anything attached, no external monitor, no mouse, no wacom, the laptop itself and the same happened. So i think it's not additional hardware related. 

Regarding the slow performance i'm talking about just compare what you see in the video, in the first half the Beta 2 on High Quality, and the second the Retail in Automatic Best. For what i do i can't work with the settings in the beta 2, sorry. I've forgot to mention, the design is built with lot of things so i know it will slow down the preview as shown in the retail, but we are talking about a document with 500x1000 pixels, so a small file, this is just one example. So what i will do now is completely remove all the betas, and will reinstall them to see if i can make it work better. But overall, for the first time i'm not excited to use betas and i've had a lot of headache with some bugs before, but this one is making me almost quit, and again, i will not update when it turns retail if things for me remain the same. Sorry. We are talking about an M1 Machine... It's really strange.

Just add a follow up.

Uninstalled all betas and all related files, installed them again, ctrl+open and reseted everything, uninstalled everything from the affinity store, reopen the app with all fresh untouched settings and the same problem is there. So i'm done with testing. Really hope you guys can find where the problem is, the only thing i think it's strange is why the retail work well and the betas don't.  

• Staff

Thanks for the video @dcarvalho84

Would you mind sharing that file (or a similar one) with the developers?

I've made a private dropbox for them to access the file if you're happy to upload it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/DGVkrVhFD4dUARpcQY4i

Nobody outside of the Development team would be able to access this and the file(s) will be removed once we have investigated.

12 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Thanks for the video @dcarvalho84

Would you mind sharing that file (or a similar one) with the developers?

I've made a private dropbox for them to access the file if you're happy to upload it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/DGVkrVhFD4dUARpcQY4i

Nobody outside of the Development team would be able to access this and the file(s) will be removed once we have investigated.

I've had done that previously but i've uploaded it again.

Thanks

• Staff

The issue "Retina Rendering Causes Excessive Screen Flicker When Set to Automatic (Best)" (REF: AF-1156) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2165".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• Staff

@dcarvalho84 as the Serif Info Bot suggests, we believe we have successfully fixed this issue. We can see a clear difference between the previous betas that this was reported against and the internal 2165 build.

I am really hoping that it has greatly improved for you as well. Again, thanks for your patience.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

@dcarvalho84 as the Serif Info Bot suggests, we believe we have successfully fixed this issue. We can see a clear difference between the previous betas that this was reported against and the internal 2165 build.

I am really hoping that it has greatly improved for you as well. Again, thanks for your patience.

Hi @Chris B can't wait to try. Will of course let you know if it is ok for me or not. Glad to help.

Edit: I've done a quick test with 2165 and it seems fine now with my problematic file. :D Thank you.

• Staff
15 hours ago, dcarvalho84 said:

Hi @Chris B can't wait to try. Will of course let you know if it is ok for me or not. Glad to help.

Edit: I've done a quick test with 2165 and it seems fine now with my problematic file. :D Thank you.

Brilliant news! I'm really pleased about that!