You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Artifact with Text - 2096/2114

16 minutes ago, anto said:

Is this a native display or an external display?

I'm using an external display but as the main one, what is also known as Clamshell Mode, my laptop is closed when i'm working. I've always worked that way and didn't experienced this until the last two betas i guess.

• Staff

@dcarvalho84 do you have Hardware Acceleration enabled in Settings? If not, enable it. To me, this looks like there is a bit of a delay in our rendering tiles which is why you are seeing blocks. Instead of rendering the entire screen at once, we do it in blocks for efficiency. 

I have an M1 MacBook Air so if you have a file you can share, I'll see if I can reproduce it.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

@dcarvalho84 do you have Hardware Acceleration enabled in Settings? If not, enable it. To me, this looks like there is a bit of a delay in our rendering tiles which is why you are seeing blocks. Instead of rendering the entire screen at once, we do it in blocks for efficiency. 

I have an M1 MacBook Air so if you have a file you can share, I'll see if I can reproduce it.

@Chris B Yes, i have hardware acceleration checked. I can send you the file, but since it's a client work file i would like to send it to you more privately.  

• Staff

Can you upload it into this private Dropbox folder I've made for you, please?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/TsTgv8tYJOJMKx305JF3

Only development and QA can access this and the file will be deleted once we've investigated. Cheers :) 

• Staff

Thanks for the upload.

I've been trying to reproduce this for quite some time on my MacBook Air M1 2020 with Sonoma 14.1.1 and I just cannot get it.

I've tried all the different combinations of rendering in the Settings menu as well as closing the MacBook and using an external display. If you make a copy of the file, group all the layers and rasterise them, does it still happen?

If not, can you quickly try changing the font and see if it happens? We had to download a copy of it from Google but we still got the ? indicating something was missing. Only when we picked Regular from the list it resembled what we see in your recording. So I'm not sure if the font has anything to do with this or not.

Oh and for reference, we tried on an Intel 202 iMac as well as my Air.

Hi @Chris B,

I'm seeing the same issue when doing things such as inserting Footnotes in 2.3.0.2114 regardless of whether Hardware Acceleration is on or off...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

48 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Thanks for the upload.

I've been trying to reproduce this for quite some time on my MacBook Air M1 2020 with Sonoma 14.1.1 and I just cannot get it.

I've tried all the different combinations of rendering in the Settings menu as well as closing the MacBook and using an external display. If you make a copy of the file, group all the layers and rasterise them, does it still happen?

If not, can you quickly try changing the font and see if it happens? We had to download a copy of it from Google but we still got the ? indicating something was missing. Only when we picked Regular from the list it resembled what we see in your recording. So I'm not sure if the font has anything to do with this or not.

Oh and for reference, we tried on an Intel 202 iMac as well as my Air.

@Chris B I can test that, but today i've had this too with Designer and the font was completely different, doesn't seem to be font related.

@Hangman Exactly, that is the same. What OS version do you have? Now i'm with 14.2 beta

9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Is the external display a Wacom at all or just a generic monitor?

In my specific case, External Monitor in Clamshell Mode, and a Wacom Intuos Pro S 2019 with 6.4.3-2 drivers, because the new ones are so buggy that i can't use them because they crash all the time.

24 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

Exactly, that is the same. What OS version do you have? Now i'm with 14.2 beta

This is with Monterey 12.6.8 on a MacBookPro with no external monitor connected...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

• Staff

How much memory does your Mac Air have? I wonder if perhaps this is a memory issue. Try reducing the RAM Usage Limit to 12288 MB if you only have 16GB. If you have more than 16GB, still give it a go and see what happens.

Other than that, your settings match my own.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

How much memory does your Mac Air have? I wonder if perhaps this is a memory issue. Try reducing the RAM Usage Limit to 12288 MB if you only have 16GB. If you have more than 16GB, still give it a go and see what happens.

Other than that, your settings match my own.

@Chris B Mine have 16GB and i didn't touch that settings, but i will try with that value and will let you know if it's better, worse or the same.

Hi @dcarvalho84 and @Chris B,

I believe the problem is caused by the Retina Rendering setting and only seems to affect the Beta versions, the 2.2.1 Retail version is fine (for me at least)...

Quality.png.c3cf7b4a4bd41c5b66eae653e22f7f13.png

When Retina Rendering is set to Automatic (Best) I see bad flickering, when set to either Low Quality (Fastest) or High Quality (Slowest) I see zero flickering.

@dcarvalho84, perhaps you could give both those settings a quick test (which will require you to reboot Publisher) to see whether changing the Retina Rendering setting stops the flickering for you as well...

36 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Hi @dcarvalho84 and @Chris B,

I believe the problem is caused by the Retina Rendering setting and only seems to affect the Beta versions, the 2.2.1 Retail version is fine (for me at least)...

Quality.png.c3cf7b4a4bd41c5b66eae653e22f7f13.png

When Retina Rendering is set to Automatic (Best) I see bad flickering, when set to either Low Quality (Fastest) or High Quality (Slowest) I see zero flickering.

@dcarvalho84, perhaps you could give both those settings a quick test (which will require you to reboot Publisher) to see whether changing the Retina Rendering setting stops the flickering for you as well...

@Hangman Nice catch! It is indeed! @Chris B using what Hangman said solve the problem, so the problem for us is related with the retina rendering, if i switch to low quality, or high quality i don't have any issue with the file from the video.

Hi @Chris B,

Which system setups have you tried this on so far...

Just trying to think of the common factors between the three setups that might be the trigger. It doesn't appear to be Memory, Apple Silicon or OS-version related based on the tests above and as mentioned earlier I'm not experiencing this in the 2.2.1 Retail version when Automatic (Best) is selected so it initially appears to be specific to the Beta's.