You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2.2.1: How can I achieve this look?

Hi all,

I'm trying to achieve an effect like what can be seen in this picture around the pyramid, in particular the clouds / background.

It seems like a variation of half-tone, but not with circles but lines. Is it possible to do this with Affinity Photo?

Thanks!

glowing-eye-of-providence-above-pyramid-

To be totally honest, I see only these options:

1. draw it by hand (in Affinity Designer)
  2. use AI based tools

I would be surprised if any conventional workflow can transform a photo into this kind of drawing.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

One idea:

1. take source image, e.g. sky with clouds and blue (dark)
  2. duplicate 3 times
  3. add threshold adjustment, set different levels e.g. 25 50 75 percent 
  4. Rasterize to mask
  5. Create 3 pattern layers, paint in diagonal / \ and horizontal — pattern
  6. Nest masks to pattern layers
  7. use suitable methods like liquify or other distortion layers to create more artistic look

can be adjusted to Designer with curves and live mesh.

lighting filter or displace filter might be useful for less artificial look.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

11 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

One idea:

1. take source image, e.g. sky with clouds and blue (dark)
  2. duplicate 3 times
  3. add threshold adjustment, set different levels e.g. 25 50 75 percent 
  4. Rasterize to mask
  5. Create 3 pattern layers, paint in diagonal / \ and horizontal — pattern
  6. Nest masks to pattern layers
  7. use suitable methods like liquify or other distortion layers to create more artistic look

can be adjusted to Designer with curves and live mesh.

lighting filter or displace filter might be useful for less artificial look.

I'm admittedly new to Photo, but I tried to follow your instructions with some pattern layers and colors. Isolatedly it's an interesting result, but I'm not sure how to connect the dots with regards to using this to "half tone" an existing picture - if possible? Very interesting! 

image.thumb.png.5cc037af01f27ae5a68c95928d2cca75.png

The patterns should be much smaller, with a pen of 1-4px, and contain multiple thin lines.

Then you need to experiment a bit with blend modes to get the 3 patterns combined.

This kind of illustrations are originally copperplate engravings. You can mimic this effect in Affinity Photo (google for instructions, most of them are for Photoshop, but the workflow is pretty easy to transfer to Affinity's app).

I hope you don't mind me advertising myself; unfortunately, the free offer expired, but I created some set of assets and macros for this kind of illustrations.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

There are also pattern brushes that might prove useful for emulating an engraving effect. I haven't tried this myself, but for example, these raster brushes from Frankentoon look like possibilities: https://frankentoonstudio.com/product/wanderer-brush-pack/

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Try Photo's built in Engraving brushes.

Try Photo's Halftone Live Filter, set it to Line instead of dot. Use many copies with different settings for fine and coarse lines and angles and mask out different areas.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi, @christerdk. I've posted an Affinity Photo macro that is meant to approximate this particular look. I created the macro a few years ago, but this post spurred me to refine it a bit and post it to the forum. You can find it in the Resources section, and should feel free to download it and try it out. Let me know if you do, and what you think!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17