You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am using AP for the first time, prviously I used Photoshop which was pretty easy to use.

I'm trying to remove part of the image using either the Erase or the Clone tools'

I've read the manual on each of these tools but it doesn't seem to actually tell you how to use them - it only tells you what they can do and how to adjust their parameters.

In Photoshop you could use the Clone tool by using 'alt' to select the sample area and then click the part you didn't want.

Does AP work in a similar manner? If so where can I find the instructions?

Also as I use the various adjustments part of the image momentarily blurs - is this a bug?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

42 minutes ago, Twolane said:

You might have a look at this video, but I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

Thanks for the help. this would do what I want but I would also like to know how to use the Clone and Eraser tools.

I do suspect that I missed something to do with the layers. I will go back and check.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

The Clone Tool works the same way as the Clone Tool in Photoshop does. Even the handling is the same (Alt key to pick up pixels, then release Alt and click to the target point). Take a look at the settings in the Tool Bar too. E.G. in most cases "Aligned" is the best choice.

Concerning the Eraser, I think there is no big difference too. But I would probably prefer to use a mask for it, because it is a non-destructive way to erase. You can always restore everything you erased by painting with black colour on the mask, if you repaint it with white colour. I'm not sure at the moment if that would work with the Eraser Tool too (as it does e.G. in GIMP). But you should be able to redo erasing with the Redo Brush. So there are different options to do what you want to.

The mistake I was making was not selecting the image layer.

Since using it I find it is very erratic and slow. Is this normal or a bug?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

4 hours ago, jackamus said:

The mistake I was making was not selecting the image layer.

Since using it I find it is very erratic and slow. Is this normal or a bug?

It works fine & quickly on my Mac (specs in my sig below) but I don't use it on huge files.

How large (in pixels) is the layer you are working on & is it an Image, Pixel, or some other kind of layer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

It works fine & quickly on my Mac (specs in my sig below) but I don't use it on huge files.

How large (in pixels) is the layer you are working on & is it an Image, Pixel, or some other kind of layer?

The images were 12MB pdf. I went back to do a screen shot to show the blurring but couldn't reproduce the problem. I can only assume that it was a one-off glitch.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

In case of Image layers it needs a little more time on first click, because the layer must be rasterized first. Possibly it is the same or takes even more time with PDfs, because PDF is not an image file format, but a sort of container format that can contain images, text (as vector data) and vector graphics.

I see what you mean. It would have been better to scan the original image as a jpeg rather than a pdf.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, jackamus said:

It would have been better to scan the original image as a jpeg rather than a pdf.

Or as TIFF if you care about the quality of the source image.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.