You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2 - MacOS - Export for Web

hi there,

i finally upgraded to version 2  - in the hope, that the export section would finally show the file size before! actually exporting the file. but no. did i overlook something? this is so crucial for me, that i keep using ps instead since version 1. i was asking then for that feature and it still is no possilble???

the other thing is the preview image. i searched for a long time to find how to change the preview size. 100% is all i need. there should be an easy way (button or else) to do that.
now i know i should hit cmd 1. but it does nothing. also - and + do not change the preview size. 

i am on a mac with the latest ventura 13.5.1 (intel)

i really hope that both issues are fixable in v2.

thanks a lot and best wishes, kai  

10 minutes ago, Kai said:

i finally upgraded to version 2  - in the hope, that the export section would finally show the file size before! actually exporting the file. but no.

First, for an experiment like that I certainly hope you took advantage of the 30-day free trial, rather than immediately purchasing.

Next, do you not have something like this (screenshot from Windows, but Mac users should see the same in V2 (and something similar in V1):

image.png.ca442f1eb275f3817d2eacf807a0cc04.png

12 minutes ago, Kai said:

the other thing is the preview image. i searched for a long time to find how to change the preview size. 100% is all i need. there should be an easy way (button or else) to do that.
now i know i should hit cmd 1. but it does nothing. also - and + do not change the preview size. 

For me, on Windows, all the standard Zoom shortcuts work there: Ctrl-1, Ctrl-0, Ctrl-+, Ctrl--, etc. Perhaps there's a problem on Mac?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

hey walt, thanks for your fast reply!  :)
actually i found the estimated file size now.
first thing i did is customizing the overall text size and boosting the text contrast ;) 
would like the file size much more visible. this is where i keep looking at when changing the image quality. its kind of important...
resizing still does not work in the export window (as it should according to the official help document).
it works for the normal work window, though. best wishes, kai  

ps: i bought the upgrade also, because i want to support affinity after being ripped off by the adobe subscription team... ;)

You're welcome.

Do you see the zoom problem with all Export formats, or only some of them? There have been issues on both macOS and Windows that affected only some of the Export formats.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff
17 hours ago, Kai said:

resizing still does not work in the export window (as it should according to the official help document).

Zooming in the Export Preview is only compatible for Raster formats, such as JPEG, PNG, TIFF etc. If you are exporting to a format such as PDF, SVG, EPS, etc then this is option is not available.

I hope this clears things up :)

hi walt and dan,

thanks for asking and explaining.
i checked now all formats. none is responding to the keyboard shortcuts in the epxort preview window...

is this forum for users only? or do the developers read along and respond? or do i have to contact affinity through a different channel???

thanks again!

17 minutes ago, Kai said:

is this forum for users only? or do the developers read along and respond?

The Developers don't usually respond here, but Serif QA and Support staff regularly respond.

For example, @Dan C is a staff member as you can see from various clues on his post. The information about who posted shows it:

image.png.174fc5ee4ccda96aa8fc20315929f1b8.png

and on the upper right of the post: image.png.ae09eb7ae1bb03575e4ea1ea0dd69141.png

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, Kai said:

i checked now all formats. none is responding to the keyboard shortcuts in the epxort preview window...

On my Mac:

The zoom keyboard shortcuts worked for the preview of raster exports in Affinity 1, but currently do not work in Affinity 2.

In Affinity 2, the raster export preview can still be zoomed by trackpad or mouse wheel, which is better than nothing.

Edit: Aha! The keyboard shortcuts do work in Affinity 2 on Mac if you ensure no text input field (such as width or height) has focus.

Edited by lepr
added new discovery

hi lepr,

thanks for your input! 

i can confirm what you say. but wtf???

the whole user experience of changing the zoom in this export window is so random and bad - i can't believe it!

unfocusing the height or width field is a challenge for itself...

i hope some developers find some time to read this thread and find more time to fix this soon!

now cmd-0 (fits the whole window) and cmd-1 (100%) work. but not + or -. for me thats ok, since i need only the 100% view.

but to figure this out i took a handful helpful people from the forum here. that should not be like this. 

thanks so much everbody. from now on i can at least use the app and wave goodbye to ps. yeah!!!

1 hour ago, Kai said:

unfocusing the height or width field is a challenge for itself...

Or the DPI field for PDF or any other place in the export window where there is a field. IMO, no field should have the focus when that window is first opened, & better still would be if that window has its own set of zoom controls for the preview pane....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

speed: actually a different topic... but since some are reading along... ;)

working with photo2 is sooo slow. like rubber. switching back to other apps (cmd-tab) is almost impossibly slow. i expected a lightning fast app compared to ps. but it is the other way around 🤔

what are your experiences??

16 minutes ago, Kai said:

and is the official support reading along? or should i contact them directly somehow?

Dan C is Following this topic, as you can see from the Follow box at the top of the topic or bottom of the topic, depending on where you're reading it).

Whether he'll feel like saying anything, or when he'll get to this discussion again, is up to him and his workload/schedule.

It would help, though, if you started a different topic if you want to discuss performance rather than how the zoom shortcuts work while Exporting.

-- Walt
PC:

18 hours ago, Kai said:

but to figure this out i took a handful helpful people from the forum here. that should not be like this. 

Just read the Help:
image.png.572b0301559151ce0ca0ceb03a077b1b.png

https://affinity.help/photo2/English.lproj/pages/Sharing/export.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

13 minutes ago, Kai said:

but how to report issues/bugs like that? 

If you really think something is a bug (that is, the code is not working properly and as documented) then you would post in the appropriate Bugs forum:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/71-bug-reporting/

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, Pšenda said:

Just read the Help:

That works, but in this particular case the documented methods were not working, because the wrong field in the dialog had the keyboard focus. That's  what took awhile and several people to figure out, I think.

-- Walt
PC:

14 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

as i wrote, it did find and read the help. it just does not work. usually i would try these key combinations and they work. but here they do not. 
in my german help file it says cmd not ctrl. and it did work yesterday for 0 and 1 but not for + and -.
today again nothing works....

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

the documented methods were not working, because the wrong field in the dialog had the keyboard focus.

Almost. It's not a case of wrong field. The keyboard shortcuts for zooming the preview should work regardless of any control in the dialog having focus.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Kai said:

and is the official support reading along? or should i contact them directly somehow?

As Walt mentioned, Affinity staff members should 'follow' all threads here on the Forums - though this may only be visible if said Staff member has replied within the thread.

We don't necessarily comment on all threads as they can be resolved without our intervention, but we will comment where needed, as and when we can.

19 hours ago, lepr said:

Edit: Aha! The keyboard shortcuts do work in Affinity 2 on Mac if you ensure no text input field (such as width or height) has focus.

18 hours ago, Kai said:

i can confirm what you say. but wtf???

the whole user experience of changing the zoom in this export window is so random and bad - i can't believe it!

15 minutes ago, lepr said:

It's not a case of wrong field. The keyboard shortcuts for zooming the preview should work regardless of any control in the dialog having focus.

I can also verify that I'm seeing this behaviour, and it does not occur on Windows. Even with a field in focus, I can use CTRL+1 to zoom to 100%, for example.

Therefore this is a bug in the macOS version of the app, which I'm getting logged with our development team now.

1 hour ago, Kai said:

speed: actually a different topic... but since some are reading along... ;)

working with photo2 is sooo slow. like rubber. switching back to other apps (cmd-tab) is almost impossibly slow. i expected a lightning fast app compared to ps. but it is the other way around 🤔

As you've mentioned, this is a different topic which should be in a separate thread - I can see you have already posted this elsewhere, so thank you for that!
Our team should reply ASAP to assist further.

21 minutes ago, Kai said:

in my german help file it says cmd not ctrl.

The modifier keys shown in the Helpfile are dynamic and will update based on the OS you are viewing the helpfile on. For example this screenshot uses 'CTRL' as Psenda is a Windows user, however you will see 'CMD' as you are on macOS.

22 minutes ago, Kai said:

it did work yesterday for 0 and 1 but not for + and -.
today again nothing works....

On macOS, I am finding that these shortcuts work provided that I am exporting to a raster format, and I do not have an actively highlighted field, as per the aforementioned bug. Can you please ensure that both of the above are true on your mac, then try using these shortcuts once again?

Please keep replies in this thread civil, many thanks :)

13 minutes ago, lepr said:

Almost. It's not a case of wrong field. The keyboard shortcuts for zooming the preview should work regardless of any control in the dialog having focus.

Part of the problem, at least for me on my Mac, is that for example CMD-1 sometimes is entered as 1 in a field when it has the focus, as if I had just typed 1 without the modifier. But sometimes that just produces an error beep instead so it is not consistent.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Part of the problem, at least for me on my Mac, is that for example CMD-1 sometimes is entered as 1 in a field when it has the focus, as if I had just typed 1 without the modifier. But sometimes that just produces an error beep instead so it is not consistent.

Thanks R C-R, I'm seeing the same behaviour and occasionally experiencing the beep - even for Raster formats - and this info is included within the aforementioned development log.

These shortcuts should work, regardless of the currently highlighted or last used export field :) 

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

The modifier keys shown in the Helpfile are dynamic and will update based on the OS you are viewing the helpfile on. For example this screenshot uses 'CTRL' as Psenda is a Windows user, however you will see 'CMD' as you are on macOS.

When viewing the online version of Help on an Android device, I get an incorrect redirect to MacOS (although I'd guess Android+Win as well as iOS+MacOS are more common). So would it be possible to select the type of OS used in Help?

In the mentioned part of the Help, it could be stated that, just like double-clicking on the layer thumbnail, double-clicking on the export preview works here too = Zoom to Fit, which is especially handy when zooming with scrolling.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.