You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request for the layers panel - reverse order of selection

It's so typical of me to create a lot of elements and then realize I've done it in the wrong order. It would be really useful to be able to reverse the order with an "Invert order of selection".

Of course, this is not a function that should be in the right-click menu, but in the layers menu.

Just a suggestion 🙂

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

Just to let you know, you can do that already using a trick.

Suppose you start with this, for example:

image.png.05e622a24d0f0ad095e1b67629bc2c25.png

You can select the 3 layers, Group them, then use Layer > Arrange > Move Outside (Designer, Publisher) or Arrange > Move Outside (Photo) and you'll end up with this:

image.png.78b72f2d3ec1978cb3866ea7ba6ad8d4.png

Then you can simply delete the empty Group.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Just to let you know, you can do that already using a trick.

Suppose you start with this, for example

You can select the 3 layers, Group them, then use Layer > Arrange > Move Outside (Designer, Publisher) or Arrange > Move Outside (Photo) and you'll end up with this:

Then you can simply delete the empty Group.

Ah, yes, I actually have that trick on my list to report as a bug because it's a real issue. I can almost taste how the programmer has worked with elements in a list here - but incorrectly.

Because:

• 'Move outside' reverses the order of the selected. (bug)
  • 'Move inside' keeps the order.

So if I'm interested in moving items out of a group with this menu choice, the items are inadvertently turned upside down, which is disastrous if the order is relevant, and it usually is.

But thanks for the tip anyway. :)

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

On 7/26/2023 at 5:33 PM, Bitarts said:

Ah, yes, I actually have that trick on my list to report as a bug because it's a real issue.

Please note that you can also move the selected objects above their Group layer within the Layers panel. If the selected objects are spread over many other layers in the group, it helps to select "Move to front" first before selecting "Move to outside" (or click that Toolbar button Bildschirmfoto2024-03-07um12_58_38.jpg.99b4feb57dc02fc8203b83e4a1d00e5d.jpg ).

If this "bug" alias function/feature would get "fixed" without also newly implementing the requested feature, the current option to reverse the order of the selected layers would no longer be available.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 7 months later...
On 7/27/2023 at 2:19 AM, thomaso said:

Please note that you can also move the selected objects above their Group layer within the Layers panel. If the selected objects are spread over many other layers in the group, it helps to select "Move to front" first before selecting "Move to outside" (or click that Toolbar button Bildschirmfoto2024-03-07um12_58_38.jpg.99b4feb57dc02fc8203b83e4a1d00e5d.jpg ).

Thanks but I tend to forget these workarounds over time: 😕

1 hour ago, Bit Disappointed said:

Thanks but I tend to forget these workarounds over time: 😕

Yes, – that's why I placed them in the Toolbar close to the Layers panel. It helps to bring them more into focus and use them instead of dragging layers.

Bildschirmfoto2024-03-07um22_37_34.jpg.e4312a11901f6351f267b136fd2aceb0.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thank you. I'll try that. For the future, I am looking for more concrete functionality for the benefit of everyone. 🙂 I envision two functions that could be made by Serif, but could also be created as scripts when they are available.

Examples:

1. Sort Selected
    1.     A-Z
    2.      Z-A
    3.     Reverse Selection
  2. Rename Selected
    1. Bulk Renaming
    2. Numbered Bulk Renaming

• Staff

Hi @Bit Disappointed,
The workaround given above is a bug and was logged as such. There's also an improvement request to add proper functionality to reverse the order of layers. I've bumped/updated both reports. Regarding sorting and renaming I advise you to create a new thread in the Feedback&Suggestions section and copy/paste the content of the post above since it may get lost/buried in this thread about reversing the order of layers. Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, @MEB 🙂