You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Files won't open in Release version

Not sure where to post this as it is not a bug, rather an issue I find troublesome. I see that .afpub files saved in the Publisher Beta version 2.2.0 will not open in the Release version 2.1.1, giving the error "Failed to open document [...] This file includes features from a later version of Affinity" (screenshot attached). Is there a way of preserving compatibility? Observed with Mac OS Ventura 13.4.1 on both M1 and Intel. Is it the same for everybody?

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 15.37.54.png

It is normal that you can't open files from a newer version in an older one.

(It is also normally suggested that beta software is only used for testing purposes, not for any important work, due to any possible problems, such as compatibility issues.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

It is not normal by any means, and I have been Beta testing in various contexts for more than 20 years. There is usually a way of preserving compatibility, at least a few points back. As I cannot use the Beta, it is time to delete it now. The way round this for anyone wishing to continue is to export (e.g. to PDF) and reimport.

28 minutes ago, JohnWhi said:

The way round this for anyone wishing to continue is to export (e.g. to PDF) and reimport.

Or use copy/paste from the beta to the release version. 

28 minutes ago, JohnWhi said:

There is usually a way of preserving compatibility, at least a few points back

The Affinity apps have never provided that. File compatibility is dictated by the first two numbers in the release number. E.g., 2.0.4 is compatible with any other 2.0 release. 2.1.1 and 2.1.0 are compatible. But 2.1 and 2.0 are not compatible. And 2.2 is not compatible with 2.1, 2.0, 1.10, etc.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Point taken. But people coming from other contexts might expect some warning to this effect, as for example with the Microsoft Office Beta.  It could have been made clearer in the Release Notes.  A particular problem was that, following installation, the Beta became the Default program to open .afpub files, and the usual efforts to change this simply did not work. The fact that some .afpub files open only in one version seems a bit curious, and perhaps some suffix other than .afpub should have been used. (I think of the change from .doc to docx.) I was involved in the original Publisher Beta, but this experience has put me off Affinity Betas of any kind for good. Choosing my words carefully, I also wonder if this will be compatible with the next OS version Sonoma, due in the autumn, or whether it will suffer from crashes if another window/program is opened.

My opinion will obviously not change anything but nonetheless I agree with OP: I’d be grateful for more compatibility between Beta and Public, at least for features available in both and not exclusive to Beta. Cheers!

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

• Staff

Hi @JohnWhi
When signing up to the Beta Program there is a warning regarding using the beta versions for production work (see quote and link below). 

Please also consider that documents saved in the beta versions may not be backward compatible with the currently released version.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/affinity-beta-program/

I can see you and @walt.farrell have both provided solutions to get the document back into 2.1.1. Just note that if you do copy & paste the document, any 2.2 feature specific elements will not copy over. 
When the 2.2 build does move to public release, you will be able to open the files made in the 2.2 beta.