You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I use AP daily and the change you made to the brushes panel is much appreciated.

Now,  selecting a brush generates a blue highlighted border around the selection and when changing the size of the brush, the highlighted border turns to red..... A very simple way of keeping track with what brush you are presently using...

Also displaying the names of the brushes is very helpful, too.

Thanks Again.

2145899168_Screenshot2023-05-22at10_48_22AM.png.588418de4aa6a9fcff8d511116ee8e33.png630032134_Screenshot2023-05-22at10_48_12AM.png.f45caa43bfe79c24ca3f7d924e053efd.png

Thanks Red Sands for this detailed explanation on how it should be done.

How would you  redesign and bring scaling to  the interface?

Yes, the dark blue is barely visible , perhaps a light cyan blue would work better.... but on the whole, having the brush selection marked with a colored border is a vast improvement over earlier versions of AP where one is left just guessing what brush you are using after using it for sometime in your daily workflow.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:43 PM, Red Sands said:

That is nice.

I hope that toolbars and other UI elements will also benefit from an improvement with the same colour logic with blue for selected - soon. For example, you can see your brush on the left is selected - or almost see. It is "hightlighted" with deep dark on a darkish grey background, which gives an extremely low contrast ratio of:

image.png.a827419b3e8078d1cbf48f7a36dbbb89.png

1.38!!! or do you prefer... 1.38???

Notice that we are not measuring the contrast between the white icon and the background, but between the highlight colour and the background, which is almost black on dark grey.

And then the keyboard warriors from the web usually jump in and say "Well, this is for text, this is not text but a UI element", so let's look at contrast requirements for UI elements:

It's too fancy to call it highlight when it's low-light. I can't see which tools are active when I'm sitting in the least imperfect light, even with an expensive monitor with good contrast and brightness.

However, you can reduce the problem but only in the desktop apps - if you pull the UI brightness all the way to the max, the interface becomes more like Photoshop's but still darker. But that requires everyone to do it, which is not the solution. No help in the iPad apps, though.

And to get ahead of the last of the usual suspects:

"Patience, Serif is working on fixing it, I am sure."

No, companies need to understand and know all this before they start designing a new user interface like in 2.0, now Serif Software implemented it incorrectly and are now actually doing double the work to fix it afterwards. It is a total waste of resources, and delays the features you are otherwise looking forward to.

image.png.65424a38e20c93e019ab6a2be7430957.png

Another day we can talk about the user interface in general, which has been complained about constantly in v1.x and which in 2.1 is still bizarrely microscopic and not scalable.

The year is 2023! 

I'm not sure about you guys, but the blue is very visible on my monitor on the stock default ui settings. Quite a bit more so than the screenshot that was provided here that threw RedSands into a meltdown lmao

So to echo the sentiments of the original poster, Thank you Serif for the work done in 2.1! Keep it coming.

• Staff

I'm sorry, but this post is completely unacceptable here on the Affinity Forums, @Red Sands and therefore I have hidden this.

You have every right to request a change in the UI for accessibility reasons, but you cannot interweave this with personal attacks towards other users.
Please see rule 1 in our Guidelines.

36 minutes ago, Red Sands said:

So what's not so funny in this thread is that you are not at all qualified to participate.

You do not get to decide who can and can't participate in threads here on the Affinity Forums, as you a not a moderator or member of Affinity Staff.

I also suggest that your improvement requests or criticisms regarding the apps UI are posted in their own, relevant thread.
I appreciate OP has mentioned the Brush Studio improvements in their original post but as this thread is not specifically feedback regarding the UI readability, it is deserved of it's own thread, where it can be discussed separately.

Continuing to post in this way may result in your account being removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regarding Brushes Panel:

Love it, but do wish greatly that when relaunching Affinity that the selected brush was shown. After relaunching Affinity you have to reselect a brush before it then visually keeps track of it for you.

Regarding unnacceptable comments: Not defending the comment that was removed, but I see the instigating comment just as out of line.

12 minutes ago, DanH said:

After relaunching Affinity you have to reselect a brush before it then visually keeps track of it for you.

Personally, I would also like the fact that the selection of the brush (including the setting of its parameters) is modified according to the selected curve with the applied brush. As is the case with the parameters Stroke, Colors, etc.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff
On 5/26/2023 at 6:44 PM, Red Sands said:

Whow, what a drama, eh? I do not in any way decide who can participate, nor do I write that he is not allowed to write here. I write that I don't think he is qualified to comment on the topic. It's a common statement in debates because it's a common scenario outside of this vulnerable forum - and I stand by it.

Any user is welcome to comment on any public topic here on the Affinity Forums - there is no requirement for qualifications and it is not your duty to judge other users based on this, or inform them that they do not have the relevant knowledge or qualifications to reply to a thread.

This is not acceptable on the Affinity Forums, regardless of if you choose to do this elsewhere.

On 5/26/2023 at 6:44 PM, Red Sands said:

apparently one type of demeaning post is allowed and the other is not. It just has to be schoolyard-ish enough and it'll get through.

I have edited a previous post in this thread, which I believe you are referring to. We would not deem any demeaning posts as allowed here on the forums, however more serious action was taken for your post - as it is not the first of it's kind which has had to be edited, or was reported as abusive to the moderators.

We try to give our Forum members as much leeway as possible, when running a multi-lingual forum with users of varying technical knowledge we understand that misinterpretations and heated discussions can occur and we try to police this fairly for all, though I'm certainly sorry if you feel this is not the case currently.