You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is DXO6 compatible with affinity photo2?

Integration

new Automatic integration with Affinity Photo during installation

Nik Collection 6 detects the presence of Affinity Photo during installation

See:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I wonder if Nik perspective will work within affinity photo now as a plug-in. This has some nice updates but while I like DXO products they make incremental upgrades not worth and upgrade price too often. I might wait until 7 unless I find myself flush with extra cash somehow. 

25 minutes ago, nomi02118 said:

I wonder if Nik perspective will work within affinity photo now as a plug-in. 

No, it will not.

See my recent post. I just upgraded. Perspective is not an option. The bugs I had with Silver FX and Viveza not opening in Affinity (opening as a stand alone software) are gone. Everything seems to work fine. 

I agree with you on the upgrades. There does not seem to be much in the way of mind blowing changes. Feels like an extension of the upgrades they usually do. Actually, they have brought back the sliders under the control points thankfully. So, arguably, they have gone backwards! :)

I do love using Nik though. It is very well done. 

2 minutes ago, youngmedia said:

No, it will not.

See my recent post. I just upgraded. Perspective is not an option. The bugs I had with Silver FX and Viveza not opening in Affinity (opening as a stand alone software) are gone. Everything seems to work fine. 

I agree with you on the upgrades. There does not seem to be much in the way of mind blowing changes. Feels like an extension of the upgrades they usually do. Actually, they have brought back the sliders under the control points thankfully. So, arguably, they have gone backwards! :)

I do love using Nik though. It is very well done. 

I love the plugins too and have used them for a long time. For perspective stuff I have been using the viewpoint plugging in dxo photolab, but it would be great not to have to leave A photo to do that. 

7 minutes ago, nomi02118 said:

I love the plugins too and have used them for a long time. For perspective stuff I have been using the viewpoint plugging in dxo photolab, but it would be great not to have to leave A photo to do that. 

I use the DISTORT > PERSPECTIVE filter in Affinity. Do others do things better?

Just now, youngmedia said:

I use the DISTORT > PERSPECTIVE filter in Affinity. Do others do things better?

I use that for many photos but these other tools are much more accurate and powerful especially with more extreme distortion. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 6:44 PM, GrahamMYC said:

DXO have just announced an interesting update to Nik Collection. Does it work with AP2?

The newest Nik6 works with AP2, but do not further update from v.2.0.4 to 2.1, because there is an incompatibility. I was on 2.1 but rolled back to 2.1.
Further... and I see that this has been reported in this discussion: Perspective Efex still does not work on AP. You'll get a 'warning' when you launch it.

CANON cameras (7D, G9), lenses ranging from 10 to 400mm, and Speedlite 580EX II - iMac (24", M1, 2021) running Ventura MacOS 13.4.1(c)

2 hours ago, LesC said:

The newest Nik6 works with AP2, but do not further update from v.2.0.4 to 2.1, because there is an incompatibility. I was on 2.1 but rolled back to 2.1.
Further... and I see that this has been reported in this discussion: Perspective Efex still does not work on AP. You'll get a 'warning' when you launch it.

I had the same issue. Updated to Affinity 2.1 and the plugins no longer worked within Affinity, the opened as standalone application with only the option to 'Save As Preset;.

I did not think of rolling back Affinity to 2.0. Instead going the rollback Nik route. I had skipped Nik 5, and that does work with 2.1. So, I asked DXO to send me Nik 5 instead. Which they did. They did not send me a licence though so still waiting for that.

Meanwhile DxO has rolled out Nik 6.1. I learned about this is in a Facebook group. So I updated AP to 2.1 again. Downloaded Nik 6.1, uninstalled the previous version using the uninstaller, installed the new 6.1 version and voilà. Things now are back to normal.

CANON cameras (7D, G9), lenses ranging from 10 to 400mm, and Speedlite 580EX II - iMac (24", M1, 2021) running Ventura MacOS 13.4.1(c)

4 hours ago, LesC said:

Meanwhile DxO has rolled out Nik 6.1. I learned about this is in a Facebook group. So I updated AP to 2.1 again. Downloaded Nik 6.1, uninstalled the previous version using the uninstaller, installed the new 6.1 version and voilà. Things now are back to normal.

Same here. All working with Affinity 2.1 and the new Nik version.

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple of days I updated Nik to 6.1.1. and Affinity Photo to 2.1.1. System to Ventura 13.4.1. All seems well, but not much testing done (yet).

16 minutes ago, LesC said:

The last couple of days I updated Nik to 6.1.1. and Affinity Photo to 2.1.1. System to Ventura 13.4.1. All seems well, but not much testing done (yet).

Any chance you can do a run through of each plugin to ensure it opens within AP and not stand alone. I usually like to stay nice and up to date but tired of rolling back AP / Nik so often in the last few weeks :)

19 hours ago, youngmedia said:

Any chance you can do a run through of each plugin to ensure it opens within AP and not stand alone. I usually like to stay nice and up to date but tired of rolling back AP / Nik so often in the last few weeks :)

OK, it took me yesterday afternoon and this morning to run through each and every Nik6 module on AP 2.1.1 and MacOS Ventura 13.4.1, because I had several other updates to do. I can confirm that all modules, except for Nik Perspective work fine and that changes made with the different modules can be saved back to Affinity Photo. I always make a new layer before using any plugin.
The reason why Nik Perspective does not work would be due to a characteristic of AP:

Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 10.11.31.jpg

On 6/23/2023 at 1:58 PM, youngmedia said:

@LesC - Great, thank you. 
Perspective has never worked as far as I know and is promoted as such by DXO. I did not know it could be used as a stand alone. I may try that.

Oh yes, it does work as a standalone, but as I am also a DxO Photolab user, I will usually do the 'perspective' corrections from there. I mostly use a wide-angle lens, so I need these corrections.

If it is indeed the 'host' (Affinity) I wonder whether it could be fixed over here. ;)

Just now, LesC said:

Oh yes, it does work as a standalone, but as I am also a DxO Photolab user, I will usually do the 'perspective' corrections from there. I mostly use a wide-angle lens, so I need these corrections.

I use DXO photlab also and DXO viewpoint which integrates into it and is pretty much the same as ink perspective in my experience.