You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 2 - Password protected PDF not possible?

It may have been asked before, but couldn't see any other topic of it.
Is there any way how to create (export) a password protected PDF for your documents?

I am working on a confidential investors relation document in Publisher 2 that need some extra protection.
But the export module says 'NO' to me as in it isn't available?

What am I overlooking here?

Hi @GregTh and welcome to the forums...

You're not overlooking anything, I'm afraid this isn't something currently possible when exporting to PDF via the Affinity software suite... You can off course add password protection after creating your PDF though it is not what I would describe as particularly secure in as much as it's extremely easy to bypass PDF password protection but for the intended purpose it's likely at least sufficient for your needs...

Are you on Mac or Windows?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Thanks for your reply.

I am a Mac user, so there are a dozen of options still available.
However coming from Indesign, it is mostly these smaller things that I am still missing in Publisher.
Would be nice if Serif could add these features to Publisher. Its just an extra step I have to do now, while it would be nice to just export and set the security level of what a user is allowed do with the document. 

The content I am working on is not what I would call very confidential.
Still client wants to have some security build into the document. Most likely (i think) because of possible legal issues.

Edited by GregTh

On Mac you do have the option to Print, then Save to PDF in place of Export to PDF which would give you the option to Password Protect your Publisher document and I think give you what you're looking for here...

So if you simply Cmd P instead of Cmd Option Shift S then from the Print dialogue window click the PDF dropdown and select Save as PDF, this will then give you direct access to the Apple Preview Password Protect Security options to add password protection for both Opening and Editing the PDF directly within Publisher, i.e., without having to create your PDF and then open it in another application to password protect it.

Give that a go and see if it gives you what you need...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 2 months later...

Since I'm now also running inti this issue where some medical documents need to be password protected for reviews, I think Affinity is not the right tool to wprk with.
Looking back, the question is already open since 2019. 😲!

Those days, where awareness of security is growing by every one, many ask to protect their documents. 
It seems this is not really understood / seen by Affinity developpers (since this question is open for a long time).

For me it is clear that I / we cannot use Affinity publisher at this moment to generate any professional business / or critical content for protected PDF export.
That's sad. Hope that there will be a security option soon! Tool is great, but things like securtity / protection are essential these days.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

PDF password protection has now been added to the 2.2 beta:

If you would like to try this feature before release you can join the beta program here:  https://affinity.serif.com/affinity-beta-program/

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

Perfect!
I am already on the beta, but wasn't aware this feature has now been implemented.
Couldn't find it at first, but then tried to see if there was an update, and there we have it. ;)
Thank you for implementing this feature request.

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Huub said:

I am now on the Publisher 2.2.1 (Windows) version and cant seem to find a PDF password protection option when exporting. Didn't the option made it yet into the 2.2.1 version, or am i missing something?

This is in version 2.3x, currently in beta state.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta