You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo latest Beta is not working anymore. Crashing at starting up.

Same issue as another used reported for Publisher. Photo not longer starts.

Macbook Pro M2 2022 / Ventura 13.2.1

Using control on startup (Clear User Defaults and Don't restore ...), didn't work. Tried also with Reset studio but didn't work.

Let me know if you want me to send the crash report.

Macbook Pro // M2 16GB // Ventura 13.2.1 

Hi @Fernando Ribeiro, I believe this is an issue with the mru.dat file, the suggested advice here is to rename the mru.dat file (to something like mru(org).dat though it doesn't matter how you rename it) which you will find located here...

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo 2 Beta/mru.dat

Hopefully, that will allow you to run Photo again without issues...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

19 minutes ago, Fernando Ribeiro said:

But now when I try to open a file from Beta on the regular version 2 I get a warning that the file as features from a later version of Affinity and cannot be opened.

Isn't that the expected behaviour, as the beta is a later version than the current release version!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 3/4/2023 at 1:55 PM, PaulEC said:

Surely that is expected behaviour, as the beta is a later version than the current release version!

Well, I've been using Beta and the regular version with the same files and hadn't had a problem yet. Only now.

Can you please try to open the file I've attached on the previous post, on the regular version, and see if the alert pops ? Thanks

Macbook Pro // M2 16GB // Ventura 13.2.1 

I've tried it and get the same message.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

51 minutes ago, Fernando Ribeiro said:

But now when I try to open a file from Beta on the regular version 2 I get a warning that the file as features from a later version of Affinity and cannot be opened.

There's appears to be something wrong with your testefile.afphoto file as it is only 8KB in size. I can open it in the latest Beta .1713 but it's just a blank 72dpi 1,920px x 1,080px document containing no layers...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

19 hours ago, Hangman said:

There's appears to be something wrong with your testefile.afphoto file as it is only 8KB in size. I can open it in the latest Beta .1713 but it's just a blank 72dpi 1,920px x 1,080px document containing no layers...

Possibly just a quick blank file uploaded to show the opening issue

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 of 3 pictures opened fine, the third one crashes the Photo Beta.

File is opening fine in release build.

MacBook Pro. Can upload the whole crash report if it helps. Happened a few minutes ago, also happening with other pictures now.

Edit: restarting the Mac did not help. Gets as far as stating "loading 1 document", then quits. Also crashes (as described by others) when I just want to open it without importing a photo.

screenshot_4194.png

screenshot_4195.png

Edited by manu schwendener
added detail