You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer (possible all apps) Subscript BUG!!

derei

Tested in both 2.0.4 and in 1.x versions, and the issue seems to be the same. This is both worrying and reassuring: it looks like a ported error from some core programming of the app, but at the same time this can narrow the options and speed up discovering why and what's not working. So, devs... please dig!

The issue (tested in Designer, but presumably it may be in all apps): a character can't be made subscript. However, it can be made superscript. The toggle works, but there is no change on the screen.

There are more posts on this forum about this feature, but none in the bug report area, as I could see.

Please fix this ASAP.

image.png.6bca2948f5e6962586ff3ff0691cd5b8.png

It's hard to say for sure whether you have demonstrated a bug, as we do not know what font you're using. And in the Typography settings (which we can see you're using), the font must support whatever options you've chosen. That means, for example, that you can only have a subscript "t" using those options if the font provides an actual subscript "t" character.

On the other hand, the Super/Subscript option in Positioning and Transforming directly above the Typography section should work for all characters.

However, as an experiment I tried Arial, and checked the Glyph Browser to confirm what subscript characters are available. And I got strange results:

image.png.ffed25cb73f4988927f1d425bc0700b4.png

From the Glyph Browser listing, the i, r, u, v, and j should also have become subscript in addition to the letters that did.

So something is going wrong, but it's not a complete lack of Typography subscript support.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Use Character -> Positioning and Transform -> Super/Subscript not the Typography options for Super and Subscript.

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 19.53.07.png

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 19.52.41.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff

The Superscript/Subscript buttons in the Typography section (in the Character panel) only work with fonts that provide support/glyphs for them. For fonts without such support such as this one , use the Superscript/Subscript options from the S: dropdown control in the Positioning and Transform section right above in the Character Panel.

1 hour ago, Lee D said:

The Superscript/Subscript buttons in the Typography section (in the Character panel) only work with fonts that provide support/glyphs for them. For fonts without such support such as this one , use the Superscript/Subscript options from the S: dropdown control in the Positioning and Transform section right above in the Character Panel.

That's certainly true, Lee. But it does not explain what I saw with Arial above, where the subscript characters shown by Glyph Browser are not being handled by the Typography subscript option as I would expect.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

This is a real problem because it modified the text of an old document that I have to return to a client (1 year project)... Fortunately, I noticed this before printing... This won't be the case for everyone.

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

On 2/8/2023 at 8:12 AM, walt.farrell said:

That's certainly true, Lee. But it does not explain what I saw with Arial above, where the subscript characters shown by Glyph Browser are not being handled by the Typography subscript option as I would expect.

Apologies for replying a year later. Instead of searching the Glyph browser for subscript as you showed in your screenshot, select "Superscripts and Subscripts" from the list of Subsets below the list of fonts. That will show you the actual characters which the Typography panel's Superscript and Subscript features can transform. I don't know why search returns a different set of glyphs but searching won't provide accurate results.

5 hours ago, Burny said:

This is a real problem because it modified the text of an old document that I have to return to a client (1 year project)... Fortunately, I noticed this before printing... This won't be the case for everyone.

Just use Character > Positioning and Transform > Super/Subscript if you're using a font that doesn't offer true superscripts and subscripts.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)