You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V1 users spent money and now we are stuck with an Basic product that will never be updated.

So just to be clear, your plan is screw people who trusted and purchased your product first...with the belief that is something that will grow and evolve in a better software...because let's be honest as for now Affinity tools are extremely basic compared to the competition. I want to know who is the genius who though to release a new software without allowing previous customers to purchase the updates, I am not saying completely for free but at least at least veeeery generous discount.

So now I bough this half softwares and spent money to figure out this thing will never be better.....wow,.....terrible strategy...I was hoping this was finally slowing to beat and be better than illustrator but you screwed up. I guess I will go back to Adobe.

v1 users? You speak for all of us? I dunno, but that car I bought is getting kind of tired after a couple of years. Mebbe I should go ask the dealership if I can get a replacement for nada. Come to think of it, so is my toaster. It too - oh, never mind. Oh, wait. I know. I'll go to the manufacturer. They'll fix me up with something for nothing for sure.

1 hour ago, Twolane said:

v1 users? You speak for all of us? I dunno, but that car I bought is getting kind of tired after a couple of years. Mebbe I should go ask the dealership if I can get a replacement for nada. Come to think of it, so is my toaster. It too - oh, never mind. Oh, wait. I know. I'll go to the manufacturer. They'll fix me up with something for nothing for sure.

I did not buy a car from Serif. 

1 hour ago, SFurniss said:

@Mvpixel @DreamEngine

Here's a link to a post where our MD explains our thinking on this, and other V2 related matters in detail. https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/172853-affinity-v2-updates-pricing-and-no-subscription/ 

That's a great read and all.

Of course you need to make money, of course you need money to continue developing your products. And when I saw that your products were a one off lifetime purchase (thats how it read anyway!) it did raise a red flag as to how you would do this.

Your release of a V2 shortly after I bought licenses has lost my trust.

There was a tried and tested route where software developers offered 'upgrades' and previous users were offered discounts on this. The boss does try to explain his way out of this with what is pitched as a completely new product, when it should be an upgrade. In this case the upgrade price is the 40% off, which in itself is fair enough. Maybe it is just a matter of words. In the end you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Buying the product again at 60% of what I recently paid is just not something I am prepared to do right now.

Probably a monthly subscription is the answer for Serif. Just make it cheaper than Adobe.

Too bad people can't be upgraded to a new version....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, DreamEngine said:

I did not buy a car from Serif. 

Well, you bought something. Now you want it all for free, for ever. Good on ya. How's that attitude to life workin'?

Did v1 suddenly stop loading for your "team"? Like your old car/toaster/teevee, it will keep on keeping on.

16 minutes ago, Twolane said:

Well, you bought something. Now you want it all for free, for ever. Good on ya. How's that attitude to life workin'?

Did v1 suddenly stop loading for your "team"? Like your old car/toaster/teevee, it will keep on keeping on.

If you had bothered to actually read what I wrote you would see I did not say I wanted something for free.

And as you cannot be bothered to read what people say, I see no point in an further discussion with you.

How you communicate with people needs some serious reappraisal.

2 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

If you have read the forums you would have known that:

• There was never a mention of upgrades being free.
  • Version1 will be fully functional as long as it's lifetime allows it(supported by the os and its updates)
  • There will be updates to version 1 to patch critical issues that may occur by these OS updates(within reason)

Ah yes, my mistake. I should have joined the forum and read everything before making my purchase.

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2023 at 12:37 AM, Mvpixel said:

So just to be clear, your plan is screw people who trusted and purchased your product first...with the belief that is something that will grow and evolve in a better software...because let's be honest as for now Affinity tools are extremely basic compared to the competition. I want to know who is the genius who though to release a new software without allowing previous customers to purchase the updates, I am not saying completely for free but at least at least veeeery generous discount.

So now I bough this half softwares and spent money to figure out this thing will never be better.....wow,.....terrible strategy...I was hoping this was finally slowing to beat and be better than illustrator but you screwed up. I guess I will go back to Adobe.

I agreed and it is kind of irritating. :(