You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edits made to RAW file in Develop persona lost when Developing the file

I am in the process of editing approx 60 RAW files (one at a time). In about 10 to 15 cases the edits I made to the RAW in the Develop Persona were lost/discarded during the Develop process. In most cases I started again and second time was OK and in very few cases (just 1 or 2) the second attempt also failed. I haven't tried a third time. The files are Sony RAW (.ARW) and I have experienced the problem with files from a Sony A7 and a Sony A77

@Steve Ballard,

What edits are you making in the Develop Persona? Are they real obvious or subtle? 

Some adjustments you need to be zoomed to 100% to really see them. I have noticed for the Sharpening, there's a subtle loss.

Could you attach a RAW file so we and Serif can test it?  I've tried replicating this on my CR2 Canon files and can not. FWIW, if you really want to see if your edits are being lost, discarded when developed, try making some radical, wild adjustments and see if they're lost.

It seems like a lot is getting blamed on the Hardware Acceleration/OpenCL. Could you check and if it is enabled, disable it to see if that might be your issue? Find it in AP's Preferences>Performance tab.

FWIW, I download a couple of Sample ARW files from here: Sony A7Rii Sample Images. Using those, I could not replicate losing edits.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

There is nothing subtle about the edits where I noticed they were dropped. The edits were generally one or more of Exposure control, Shadow & Highlights and Contrast, and all of a noticeable amount. I am photographing old slides (from 1970s and 80s) and their exposure is all over the place. I have attached one RAW file where the problem occurred once, but was OK on the second attempt. I have also attached a screen shot showing the extent of the changes (-1.3 exposure, 21% contrast and -17% highlights); this would be similar to the edits when the failure occurred. The screen shot is from this morning for the purpose of this reply and they developed OK on this occasion.

Capture 1.JPG

DSC06280.ARW

What Output (in the context toolbar) are you Developing these RAW files to?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@Steve Ballard,

Thank you for providing the file. I've downloaded it and have been testing using it. I'm not seeing any significant loss.

Part of what would affect what you're seeing and I'm not is how we develop the file. I noticed when I developed it, the Histogram would not look like the one in your screenshot. I finally managed to develop where they looked similar. To do this I had to have the Apply Tone Curve and Exposure Bias set in the Develop Assistant. It applies a lot of exposure, thus I think is why your Exposure setting is -1.3. I do not have AP apply those, I want to control that.

Everyone will have their own method of RAW file development. This also depends on the software being used. I use a different method in AP, than used in Lightroom or Paintshop Pro (Aftershot).

Here's a screen grab of what I see and how I develop RAW in AP. Keep in mind that I do not use the Tone Curve & Exposure Bias.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Here's a quick screen grab showing the difference when AP applies Tone Curve  Exposure Bias. I did not develop in this screen grab, as I have done this numerous times and still could not see a loss in what the Develop Persona produced.

FWIW, I do not rely that much on Histograms when editing, developing files. I use my eyes more. I try to keep the Blacks & Whites from Clipping, but there are areas in some images that it's ok to let them, and probably can't be recovered anyway, or what I'm seeing in the image, and want it to look like, they must be clipped, ie; don't want the viewer to be looking at those... ;)

Thanks for the processing information, but I don't see how that progresses the issue of "edit loss". I appreciate it is an intermittent problem and therefore tricky to find, but it is a definite problem to the point that for this task of digitising old slides (several hundred) I have abandoned Photo 2 and returned to Photo 1.

In case it is relevant my wider workflow involves loading 4 RAW images at a time from Sony PlayMemories Home (an intermediate batch file is needed due to the install issue that stops direct invoking of Photo 2 from other programs). Each RAW image is then processed in turn. Every so often (again random) Photo 2 shows signs of slowing and shortly following this will crash or lock up. I haven't noticed any link between the edit loss and the crashes. My editing, both to the RAW and the developed images are simple as the result needed only has to be reasonable. My RAM usage limit I have increased to just short of 40K MB, not specifically for this task.

59 minutes ago, Steve Ballard said:

but I don't see how that progresses the issue of "edit loss"

Just trying to get to the same starting point of the image processing you're seeing before Developing to the Photo Persona. Not saying there's not some bug, but so far haven't seen that, no matter how I develop it.

The attached RAW file had the failure twice this morning.  Edits where simple, first exposure increased by approx 0.75 then contrast by 15%. Press Develop and the edits are lost. I tried a 2nd and 3rd time and all three failed. On the third I did a screen capture at the three relevant stages, i.e. before any editing, after edits but still in Develop persona and immediately after Develop pressed. There were three other RAW files loaded at the same time, this was the first to be processed.

I then made a 4th Attempt with no other files loaded. This worked OK.

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

DSC06301.ARW

I'm still not seeing any loss.

FWIW, I have the 32bit RGB Profile set to ROMM (basically for working with HDR). In the Develop Assistant I have the RAW Output set to RGB 16bit. 

On 1/4/2023 at 6:16 AM, Steve Ballard said:

On the third I did a screen capture at the three relevant stages, i.e. before any editing, after edits but still in Develop persona and immediately after Develop pressed.

For the future: It would be more helpful, in my opinion, to have the screenshots include the complete application window so we can see everything (both left/right studios, menu, toolbars, etc.) as there is often relevant information that someone trying to provide answers may need, that the user with a problem may not think about.

However, from what you said: Has this only happened with multiple RAW images loaded?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Point noted.

But I do have to correct the multiple RAW images report. Shortly after I posted that comment I experienced the problem with a single image loaded. I had switched my work method to single image as I thought this may avoid the problem, but it wasn't long before it happened again in that mode. I am inclined to think it has something to do with the number of images processed since Photo 2 was loaded regardless of whether multiple of single loading/processing used. I have no proof of this though.

I don't restart my system often as I usually hibernate at the end of day rather than close down which means Photo 2 is not reloaded often, generally only when it crashes or locks up. 

• Staff

I believe we have an answer as to what's causing this. It happens when I open 2x raw files at the same time. Changes made under the Basic panel such as Enchance, Shadows & Highlights etc. are not saved. The other files opened at the same time seem to retain the changes.

See this thread -