You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing image in Photo

Perhaps a dumb question, but I’m trying to increase the print size of an image that is 350dpi. In photoshop one can drop the dpi to 300 and the print size will increase accordingly. In Photo I can change the image size but the dpi remains the same, or change the dpi size and the print size remains the same, regardless of whether resample is chosen or not. I would like Photo to calculate what the print dimensions are when I change the dpi, without my having to do so manually, as photoshop does. How do I do this?

22 minutes ago, Girlvsworld said:

I would like Photo to calculate what the print dimensions are when I change the dpi

Just change the DPI, and don't resample.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Something I don't understand is going on. In both Photo, and Photo 2, if I change the DPI of a document and do not Resample, the document dimensions (in inches) do not change. If I do that on the Desktop, the document dimensions do change.

Maybe someone with more iPad experience than i will be able to explain it. Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, Girlvsworld said:

As mentioned, when I change the dpi with or without resampling, the print size remains the same. I want to slightly enlarge the pictures by dropping the dpi.

Changing dpi on iPad resize without resampling does not change image pixel size. It only affects the images meta data (telling printer required dpi setting). You can see the effect on print size by opening Navigator studio and selecting 100%. Or Export and Preview then adjust to 100% view. Print dimensions are shown on Export screen. Some examples below. Same image set to 50dpi and then 1200dpi. Both views at 100%.

8CDC31AA-FF52-44AE-987B-5889FCB8EAFA.jpeg

C2377C2E-263C-4E78-BC1D-DE41B0E72FCB.png

8A63CCF9-4A8F-4614-885E-4437688A03A9.jpeg

8A591F97-DFC7-4DFC-971B-A184A1E0AD05.jpeg

578F750D-C775-4352-B7C5-28FABEFFF397.jpeg

7E65B760-4031-43B9-8BB1-11198B18FA0B.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 hour ago, DM1 said:

Changing dpi on iPad resize without resampling does not change image pixel size.

Of course. But on the Desktop, if you have the document units set to inches, you can see it you do another document Resize, or check the Transform panel, that the "print size" had changed. On the iPad that doesn't happen. I find that puzzling.

-- Walt
PC:

This doesn’t work for me either. When I drop the dpi the image dimensions remain unchanged on export. I have a document sized 5.25 x 8 at 350 dpi. In photoshop with resample unchecked, if I drop the dpi to 300 the image is resized to 6.127x9.33 inches. In Photo it just drops the pixels with resample unchecked but remains the same size. Also I would like to know what size my final image is without having to export it. I’m guessing this is a bug.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

On the iPad that doesn't happen. I

In Photo it just drops the pixels with resample unchecked but remains the same size. Also I would like to know what size my final image is

Correct in both cases. What I’m seeing is that the printed size doesn’t change, just the image resolution.

Your “final image size” is determined by the size you have initially set your document/canvas. You can change canvas size and move image around (crop) or select and drag image box handles to resize on available canvas.

Changing dpi without rescanning affects resolution not size (it’s the way iPad version always worked and operates this way, I believe, by design). It may have been done this way due to iPads limited printer driver features.

You can see the effect on print preview if you vary dpi sufficiently. From memory I recall Affinity actually uses a PPI setting but call it DPI, hence the zoom effect that occurs on screen.

Protocol suggests a 3600x2400px image at 600dpi print resolution would print at 6x4” and at 300 dpi the same 3600x2400px image would print at 12x8”  at half the resolution, but on iPad (unless you resize dimensions or Resample dpi), the original image size is retained and only the resolution is altered.

I’m guessing this is a bug.

Export/Share/AirPrint bug.

Printing from document menu honours the document/canvas size settings, and simply applies dpi as a resolution. This appears to work as documented.

On iPads you are meant to be able to select an output (print) size on the Export screen. This definitely doesn’t work when I then Share with my printer. Altering pixel dimensions makes no difference to actual print size which instead appears to be driven by whatever paper size the printer is set to. For example I choose 1800x1200px (document set to 600dpi), expecting a 3x2” image but instead getting an A4 image! Maybe DPI is not being recorded in meta data or iPad driver can’t read it?

Certainly seems like a bug to me.  Printing from Export screen using Share to AirPrint is a documented feature so should be supported.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

If it’s by design it’s ridiculous. Am I going to do print work for a client who prints it on their home printer? Then these are not professional apps. Why would I print something at half resolution? I want an image at x size at 300 dpi and Photo can’t manage it. These apps have been so disappointing to me. Guess I won’t give up Adobe products, nor recommend that anyone else do so. I went and did what I needed to as an automated batch in Photoshop and 27 images were done in less than a minute.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Girlvsworld said:

Any update to this? It’s making me a little crazy that I can’t resize photos which would be the most basic photo editing function you would think. 

In the beta versions of Affinity Photo for iPad (v.2.10 beta 1736) this is fixed…

When I change the DPI, the pixel size increase, or, the opposite, when I change the size of the picture the DPI is increasing…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

• 2 weeks later...

Still can’t get this to work properly. Have images at 8x8 at 792 dpi, would like to resize to 10.25 at 300 dpi. Changing the image size is not resampling the dpi, changing the dpi has no effect on image size. I’m deleting photo and going back to v1 to use on my iPad, since I can’t use it for the most basic editing functions!

12 hours ago, Girlvsworld said:

Still can’t get this to work properly.

On 12/27/2022 at 6:14 AM, Girlvsworld said:

I would like Photo to calculate what the print dimensions are when I change the dpi, without my having to do so manually, as photoshop does. How do I do this?

Not having used Photoshop for a decade I am assuming from what you described, that it behaves differently to Affinity photo. Changing dpi with Resample off, in AffinityPhoto affects print quality, it does not have any effect on print size. V1 and V2 behave the same.

Testing with latest beta:

My original image is 8x6 at 300dpi.
Export size 2400x1800px.

Open resize and change dpi to 100dpi. Turn off Resample and tap the tick to accept settings change.

Export photo.
My new Export size is 800x600px
Note:
A 2400x1800px image prints 8x6 at 300dpi.
A 800x600px image prints 8x6 at 100 dpi (same size, reduced quality).

That outcome is what I would expect.

The vertical / horizontal resize sliders settings only take effect if resampling is turned on.

Examples.

IMG_2170.jpeg

IMG_2171.jpeg

IMG_2173.jpeg

IMG_2176.jpeg

IMG_2177.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 3/3/2023 at 2:42 AM, MEB said:

Hi @Girlvsworld,
Thanks for you report. I'm logging this to be looked at. 

Hi all- Apologies if this thread has been resolved already, but I wanted to report some findings on this topic that seem to generally address the issue:

After several workflow tests, I found that if one keeps the resize units constrained to PIXELS (as opposed to inches) from the outset, eveything seems to work consistenly just fine. So, upon importing/opening the original image from your camera or scanner, or wherever; simply leave the image units at the default which is PIXELS, then check to make sure RESAMPLE is not selected, change the resolution (DPI) to your desired number of pixels, and then APPLY the change by clicking on the check mark. Once the new pixel resolution is applied, if you then select RESIZE again from the document menu, you can see that original pixel dimensions of the image remain unchanged, no pixel data has been gained or lost (upsampled or downsampled). This is exactly the result one would want in a non-destructive resizing workflow. After applying the desired resolution, once you’ve checked the pixel dimensions at the new resolution, THEN change the units to INCHES (or whatever you prefer), and then APPLY that change, and you will see that the document size has indeed scaled in proportion (as one would expect) to the change in pixel SIZE. And in fact, no resampling has occurred. It actually works just fine. 

With that said, resizing images on the iPAD in APv2 is more than a little cumbersome, especially for those more accustomed to the desktop/laptop version with a proper image size window that calculates pixel dimensions, resolution, and document size in real time, similar to the way Photoshop does. 

Finally, as a comparison, I also tested this workflow by changing the document dimension units to inches before changing the image resolution. And in every case, regardless of the fact that I was very careful to confirm that resampling was DESELECTED at all times, Affinity Photo always upsampled/downsampled the image. This is the essence of the problem in my opinion. It’s easy to completely destroy the resolution of an image if you don’t carefully resize your image in the proper order on iPAD. All that would need to be done to fix this quirk in the resizing workflow is to make it so that the document units (inches etc) acknowledge or respect RESAMPLING choice. If resample is deselected, then regardless of the document units, there should never be resampling. That’s not the case as it is now. I also tested this in the newest version of AP Beta ver. 2.2.0 (1994), it has not been changed or fixed. 

Sorry for length of this response, I do hope it is helpful for anyone who has just discovered this quirk and was as concerned as I was at the outset. Hopefully the folks at Serif will correct it in the future, it’s a bit surprising that this has been left as is, it’s certainly not the most elegant workflow in terms of UI/UX, especially because in my opinion, v2 of all the apps set the bar VERY HIGH in terms of iOS UI/UX design. For now, rest assured that it’s not really as bad as all that, all one has to do is remember to resize images in the proper order: apply PIXEL dimensions, then apply document UNITS, and it all works just fine thankfully!

Hope this has helped! 

Aloha,

Scott 

iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) iPadOS 16.6.1 (20G81), Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
iPad Pro M1 (12.9-inch) (5th generation) iPadOS 16.6.1 (20G81) Apple Pencil (2nd gen)
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1, Affinity Designer 2.1.1, Affinity Photo 2.1.1 and betas 2.2.0 (1994)

11 hours ago, sgroenig said:

Hi all- Apologies if this thread has been resolved already, but I wanted to report some findings on this topic that seem to generally address the issue:

After several workflow tests, I found that if one keeps the resize units constrained to PIXELS (as opposed to inches) from the outset, eveything seems to work consistenly just fine. So, upon importing/opening the original image from your camera or scanner, or wherever; simply leave the image units at the default which is PIXELS, then check to make sure RESAMPLE is not selected, change the resolution (DPI) to your desired number of pixels, and then APPLY the change by clicking on the check mark. Once the new pixel resolution is applied, if you then select RESIZE again from the document menu, you can see that original pixel dimensions of the image remain unchanged, no pixel data has been gained or lost (upsampled or downsampled). This is exactly the result one would want in a non-destructive resizing workflow. After applying the desired resolution, once you’ve checked the pixel dimensions at the new resolution, THEN change the units to INCHES (or whatever you prefer), and then APPLY that change, and you will see that the document size has indeed scaled in proportion (as one would expect) to the change in pixel SIZE. And in fact, no resampling has occurred. It actually works just fine. 

With that said, resizing images on the iPAD in APv2 is more than a little cumbersome, especially for those more accustomed to the desktop/laptop version with a proper image size window that calculates pixel dimensions, resolution, and document size in real time, similar to the way Photoshop does. 

Finally, as a comparison, I also tested this workflow by changing the document dimension units to inches before changing the image resolution. And in every case, regardless of the fact that I was very careful to confirm that resampling was DESELECTED at all times, Affinity Photo always upsampled/downsampled the image. This is the essence of the problem in my opinion. It’s easy to completely destroy the resolution of an image if you don’t carefully resize your image in the proper order on iPAD. All that would need to be done to fix this quirk in the resizing workflow is to make it so that the document units (inches etc) acknowledge or respect RESAMPLING choice. If resample is deselected, then regardless of the document units, there should never be resampling. That’s not the case as it is now. I also tested this in the newest version of AP Beta ver. 2.2.0 (1994), it has not been changed or fixed. 

Sorry for length of this response, I do hope it is helpful for anyone who has just discovered this quirk and was as concerned as I was at the outset. Hopefully the folks at Serif will correct it in the future, it’s a bit surprising that this has been left as is, it’s certainly not the most elegant workflow in terms of UI/UX, especially because in my opinion, v2 of all the apps set the bar VERY HIGH in terms of iOS UI/UX design. For now, rest assured that it’s not really as bad as all that, all one has to do is remember to resize images in the proper order: apply PIXEL dimensions, then apply document UNITS, and it all works just fine thankfully!

Hope this has helped! 

Aloha,

Scott 

iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) iPadOS 16.6.1 (20G81), Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
iPad Pro M1 (12.9-inch) (5th generation) iPadOS 16.6.1 (20G81) Apple Pencil (2nd gen)
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1, Affinity Designer 2.1.1, Affinity Photo 2.1.1 and betas 2.2.0 (1994)

Yes, I have the same experience, starting always from pixels, I just always do resizes using 3 steps on the iPad, DPI change, then units change, then size change.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help