You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help on crashes

TJ Mead

• 2 months later...

Ok people I just bought a new powerhouse PC with Win 11 and plenty of memory and a beefy video card. Guess what the dam thing is still shutting down.

It worked great for the first couple hours and then it shut down and I just turned it all off. Today it did it again. What the $&@k is going on. I have kept up with all the updates with no solution. By the way I joined the Beta program as well and it does the same thing. Fix it please. This has been the best graphics software I have ever used, well version 1, but this is driving me crazy!

Thank you.

11 hours ago, TJ Mead said:

Everything is up to date this is a brand new PC

That does not mean the drivers are up to date. Many times, the manufacturers have updated drivers since the PC was built. It doesn't hurt to go to the manufacturer's website and check.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 weeks later...

Have you all got this issue figured out yet? By the way of course I installed all of the updates DUH. They were done the same day I got the PC. Just as a reality check Version 1 does not shut down V2 and the Beta both do. With this being a new PC, with all the updates, the problem must be on your end not the PC.

I really hope someone can figure this out because I do love the product. When it works!

Thanks, TJM

• Staff

@TJ Meadit is likely something very specific to your machine or the hardware/software installed on it.

The crash dump suggests it may have something to do with panning?

image.png

Do you have a gaming mouse with custom drivers or a tablet etc. installed that you're using? Just to clarify, I realise months ago you said you're using a Logitech MX Master 25 mouse so just wanted to check nothing had changed. I absolutely think it's this that's causing the issue to be honest. We aren't having any other reports like this.

• 1 month later...

Well the crash reports are sent automatically. This is not a crash it just shuts down. No save no nothing... it just closes. I do hope someone is working on this to resolve the issue. The same problem with a new computer is not a problem on this end its the software. Please fix it. PLEASE!

• Staff

Can you check the polling rate of your mouse? There's a potential issue where if your polling rate of the mouse is around 125, it can cause issues. This might be why a lot of the references have been suggesting your mouse and panning with it is faulting.

39 minutes ago, Chris B said:

There's a potential issue where if your polling rate of the mouse is around 125

I have a an average logitech mouse and the test gave me a polling around 125.
If users are using just mice of the shelf is this going to be fixed by Serif as this would be an issue for many users.

• Staff

I use a Razer mouse at work, both are different models and both are set to 1000 and I see some lag. If I set it to 125, it becomes unusable for me (as it's too fast) but does not lag.

A quick test (and I really hope I'm not going down the wrong rabbit hole with this) is to do the following:

1. Open Designer
  2. Display Assets
  3. Drag one out (don't release) and move the cursor around the canvas

This is all logged with the developers and needs looking at. I'm not saying this is definitely TJ Mead's issue but it might be connected. Just to clarify, the issue occurs with anything above 125. 125 itself or below should not show this behaviour.