You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help on crashes

TJ Mead

Still shutting down. I installed V2.0.3 and was so excited to get it. Unfortunately, it didn't take care of the issue. Still shutting down. I do like the new futures in V2 but the shutting down thing is more than I can tolerate. I sure hope someone has the answer to this problem.

I remain

TJM

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Chris B said:

Are you leaving the document open when shutting down? Is it saved locally or in the cloud? I'm involved in another thread that sounds similar to this.

No, the program closes on its own right in the middle of an edit. it doesn't ask to save it just closes as though I clicked on the close X. In addition, it will close when opening a document from time to time.  When this happens while working on a document I need to start from scratch.

This happens so frequently I haven't even had an opportunity to look at all the new features of V2. Very frustrating.

Thanks

TJ

• Staff
15 hours ago, TJ Mead said:

Thanks. I'm seeing a reference to the mouse. Can you please tell me what mouse you're using and if it has any special drivers or button mapping customizations. 

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thanks. I'm seeing a reference to the mouse. Can you please tell me what mouse you're using and if it has any special drivers or button mapping customizations. 

I'm using a Logitech MX Master 25. Using Windows drivers. This is the same mouse I used on the previous version of Affinity with no issues.

• Staff

A colleague has this mouse and it uses an app called Logi options + is this what you're using?

He uses it on macOS I believe and suggests that you can customise the DPI per app and add custom button mapping so perhaps there's something in that if you are indeed using that app. If not, I'm logging it with dev anyway.

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

A colleague has this mouse and it uses an app called Logi options + is this what you're using?

He uses it on macOS I believe and suggests that you can customise the DPI per app and add custom button mapping so perhaps there's something in that if you are indeed using that app. If not, I'm logging it with dev anyway.

I was using Logi Options but stopped a long time ago. I've been letting windows drivers run it. They seemed to work better. But Like I said no issues with Affinity

10 hours ago, Chris B said:

Just to be sure. I removed all Logitech mouse apps/drivers from my startup and restarted the PC. But Noooooo still did it. f#@&. 🙂

• Staff

A developer has replied and it looks like we may not be unhooking the mouse events, however they've asked for a bit more info which might help us get to the bottom of this. Is there a particular tool you're using at the time it crashes? What Persona are you in when it crashes? Are you painting or using correction tools?

On 1/16/2023 at 2:24 AM, Chris B said:

A developer has replied and it looks like we may not be unhooking the mouse events, however they've asked for a bit more info which might help us get to the bottom of this. Is there a particular tool you're using at the time it crashes? What Persona are you in when it crashes? Are you painting or using correction tools?

No particular tool, any persona, any tool. Sometimes just selecting a tool and it shuts down or trying to open a document. There seems to be no particular one thing that is common to this happening.

• Staff
On 1/18/2023 at 7:18 PM, Ted R said:

So far it's helpful following this thread as I'm having exactly the same issues. Nice to know I'm not alone. Eagerly awaiting a brilliant solution.

Can you attach a crash report please:

Press the Windows Key + R to launch the Run dialog and enter the relevant app path:

%USERPROFILE%\.affinity\Photo\2.0\CrashReports\reports

We can compare it to the one TJ Mead supplied

Thanks Chris, I also had an email recommendation from Gareth, at Affinity Support, to change the display setting to WARP in Preferences/Performance. It seems to have done the trick for the moment, but we'll see about long term. I could still send a crash report, if you think it'll help.