You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Workflow Downgraded in V2

The previous workflow for exporting saved a step compared to the current version.

Now, instead of easily clicking once to select file type, a finicky dropdown menu must be used.

This would be acceptable if there were some benefit, like fewer or ideally 0 crashes on export, but I've not found the upside here. Why has the UI design been downgraded?

EDIT:

You all have made some good points below, it seems more advanced users want to be able to use the mouse less, I agree, that was my point, I was noticing a two-click process in place of the old one-click process. The best would be individualized keyboard shortcuts for exporting the file type you'd like.

For my workflow I bounce back and forth between .jpg and .png, so a modifier on Mac to Command + Option + Shift + S, like Command + Option + Shift + S + P and Command + Option + Shift + S + J would save the most time for everyone, the rest of the alphabet gives us plenty of room for additional formats.

I prefer the drop down menu as I can change the type of file either with the up/down arrow keys or, better still, by typing the first letter or two of the type you want.

So if I last exported as SVG but want a PSD, I just type P S ... and PSD is selected. (This is on Windows; don't know about the other platforms.) Couldn't do that on v1.

I'm a keyboard shortcut junkie, so it's actually a huge improvement for me.

12 hours ago, powsimian said:

This would be acceptable if there were some benefit,

There is a benefit for getting new export formats added, as it is probably easier for the Developers to program the dropdown list than it is to keep adding additional icons for us to click on in the Export dialog. This may encourage them to respond faster to some customer requests for additional export formats.

It also makes the list in File > Export and the Export Persona more similar, which may help users move between the two methods of exporting with less confusion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

There is a benefit for getting new export formats added, as it is probably easier for the Developers to program the dropdown list than it is to keep adding additional icons for us to click on in the Export dialog

You forget that the software is not made for the developers, it is made for users who use them! Look at the iPad version. There we also have no icons but there is no senseless drop down menu. Here you have at least the buttons side by side and you don´t have to make a click and then search in the list. I would prefer a small icon for fast finding my preference but a solution as on ipad version is better than nothing. 

Affinity Designer SVG Export Settings for Silhouette Studio :  r/silhouettecutters

Edited by imagodespira
added image

1 hour ago, imagodespira said:

You forget that the software is not made for the developers, it is made for users who use them!

No, I merely point out that there are trade offs. If users want more export formats, then an easier way of programming the UI may be needed to more easily allow that. Otherwise, the developers may not be easily able to provide the functions at all, and the users get no new formats.

I cannot comment on the differences between iPad and desktop in this area, as I don't know anything about the internals and that level of programming.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

18 hours ago, _Th said:

So if I last exported as SVG but want a PSD, I just type P S ... and PSD is selected. (This is on Windows; don't know about the other platforms.)

It's the same on Mac.
In fact, I just found out that contrary to my earlier (false) claim somewhere in the forum, the new Export window actually does support tabbing all of its UI elements:

• System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Keyboard > make sure "Change the way Tab moves focus" is active and has a shortcut > use the shortcut to toggle the Tab key behavior – which is also shortcut to the "Use keyboard navigation […]" check box.
    (That's on Catalina, your mileage may vary on newer MacOS)
18 hours ago, _Th said:

Couldn't do that on v1.

Exactly.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

then an easier way of programming the UI may be needed to more easily allow that. Otherwise, the developers may not be easily able to provide the functions at all, and the users get no new formats.

UI programming isn't difficult. Designing a good UI ... only difficult when working with programmers that don't/can't/won't deign to the designs of a good UI designer. This is increasingly commonly a problem as programmers have ever more gotten it into their heads that they don't need designers of UI, let alone UX.

The limiting factor in export formats is NOT the UI.

It's not programming a good UI that is difficult, it's pleasing everyone. 

Unless you can show us how your good programming experience made you create a wonderful UI that pleases everybody. 'till then ....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

4 minutes ago, AlainP said:

Unless you can show us how your good programming experience made you create a wonderful UI that pleases everybody. 'till then ....

No need. These are known issues for workflow. Simple to solve by favouring a few principles that support high output and/or iterative endeavours.

Affinity seems to lack care of/for the most immediate, low resistance, smooth workflows and of experience with actual design workflows.

Exporting is very important for iterative works, especially for the things created in Designer/Photo that are being used somewhere else, outside of Affinity, or otherwise need analysis and consideration outside of Affinity.

MANY designers are working with design software to create textures and elements that go onto/into other systems, and their work needs to be constantly considered in that other environment, which is done by first exporting the artwork. This is an iterative workflow - adjust properties in image, export, switch the utilised environment, refresh to reload this texture/image, and asses what's right and wrong, continue editing... repeat... repeat etc.

To this end, exporting should be, ideally, instant shortcuts for any format and location that's going to be repeated frequently, and involve the absolute minimum of ninja-finger modifier usage and definitely not require mouse movement, nor mouse hand to reach for a keyboard shortcut. 

This includes the confirmation dialog for overwriting an existing file, which is going to be part of this process for a busy worker, dozens of times in a work session.

Similarly, Affinity products generating previews shouldn't be slowing down this process, at all. 

Game art going onto models or used as decals/textures in the game worlds, product packaging and incorporating elements into more complex documents (big InDesign docs) are examples of these kinds of usage scenarios where speed and flow and energy usage are huge considerations for the designer's time and creativity. 

I don't know about your programming and design abilities, but as for "wording" ... you're quite good.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

On 12/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, _Th said:

I prefer the drop down menu as I can change the type of file either with the up/down arrow keys or, better still, by typing the first letter or two of the type you want.

So if I last exported as SVG but want a PSD, I just type P S ... and PSD is selected. (This is on Windows; don't know about the other platforms.) Couldn't do that on v1.

I'm a keyboard shortcut junkie, so it's actually a huge improvement for me.

How do you select the drop down without using the mouse?

I also love the keyboard shortcuts, command + option + shift + S to export then when I overwrite I use the command + R to replace the previous file, but I still need to use the mouse to select the drop down.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:42 PM, walt.farrell said:

There is a benefit for getting new export formats added, as it is probably easier for the Developers to program the dropdown list than it is to keep adding additional icons for us to click on in the Export dialog. This may encourage them to respond faster to some customer requests for additional export formats.

It also makes the list in File > Export and the Export Persona more similar, which may help users move between the two methods of exporting with less confusion.

They only added one file type from the previous version.

23 minutes ago, powsimian said:

How do you select the drop down without using the mouse?

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 hours ago, powsimian said:

They only added one file type from the previous version.

Two, I think. WEBP and JPEG XL. 

Some changes are probably made to plan for the future. For example, there are many requests for DWG and DXF export, as well as import. And others, too.

-- Walt
PC: