You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 Affinity Designer on Windows 11 - boolean operations not working properly using vectors that were converted from text. Video attached

Nevermind there is a problem with boolean operations on the ipad, but if you convert the text to curves on the ipad its fine. IIRC you could use art text + vectors or shapes and boolean functions would work on V1. However, on the desktop version, both art text or converting art text to curves cause problems with boolean operation

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @saraartist,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm I've been able to replicate this issue with your file and I have logged it with our developers to be resolved ASAP.

I hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just came to this forum to see if anyone was reporting issues with Booleans (on PC/Windows)...  In the previous version, I was always able to convert my Text to curves, select all the letter shape layers and Boolean them with the Add to get a singular object that I could use in other boolean operations.  But now, it behaves irractically.  Some "curves" it combines, others it does not.  If two letters overlaps, instead of the Add it look like it does an Xor.  Here is an example of a text converted to curves, then a couple of the letters (shapes) re-arranged to overlap and then the Add operation on it.  The first 2 letters (shapes) Xor'd and the S & q shapes did the Add...  What?!?!?!  It's very frustrating...

image.thumb.png.cb283d4ae5c3a112550b338f75264b12.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just adding my observations to this issue - I have experienced similar boolean problems (in all Affinity v2 products [on windows for me]) - it does seem to boil down to one object being subtracted from text that was converted to curves.  (Even text that was converted to curves via Designer/Photo v1).  An easy repro is to take, say, a big letter P, convert to curves and then create a square, angled at 45 degrees counter clockwise and overlay the top right of the P ; subtract the square from the character and the whole thing vanishes.

I can also confirm using the exact same steps in Designer/Photo v1 work like a charm.

I also noted that the new Shape Builder also has similar issues identifying the overlapping regions to boolean when one of the shapes came from a converted True Type glyph.

Hope it helps track things down...

1 hour ago, Paulie68000 said:

Hi, just adding my observations to this issue - I have experienced similar boolean problems (in all Affinity v2 products [on windows for me]) - it does seem to boil down to one object being subtracted from text that was converted to curves.  (Even text that was converted to curves via Designer/Photo v1).  An easy repro is to take, say, a big letter P, convert to curves and then create a square, angled at 45 degrees counter clockwise and overlay the top right of the P ; subtract the square from the character and the whole thing vanishes.

I can also confirm using the exact same steps in Designer/Photo v1 work like a charm.

I also noted that the new Shape Builder also has similar issues identifying the overlapping regions to boolean when one of the shapes came from a converted True Type glyph.

Hope it helps track things down...

Yep, there are several threads about the matter. I believe it is a same issue. So, "One ring to bring  them all..." ( -- Gandalf (c) ). I mean, perhaps one single fix will solve many problems (probably). And yes it happens when text is converted to curves, whether is such operation by itself what changed (only with text: with shapes works great), or some characteristic of text elements in v2 that has changed from v1. 

The tools not working well due to this, appear to be (till further notice about more tools affected) : Knife, Booleans (add, subtract, etc), and ShapeBuilder.

We (forum people) have found two methods that seem to make possible to work with all these tools without problems (the simple, easy and elegant one is from @,,,  , the  one about changing document's width to 1px). In case you are curious or need a workaround to continue working on your project(/s) until they fix this (linked below a post with a summary of both methods. You can skip to "method 1, method 2 paragraph. The previous text is only about that case's specifics)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/178299-affinity-designer-crashes-after-using-shape-tool/&do=findComment&comment=1027498

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "Boolean Operation fails on text converted to curves" (REF: AFD-6172 & AFD-5816 ) have been fixed/improved by the developers in internal build 2.1.0.1709
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @Nick808,

This certainly seems to be the same issue that has been resolved by our team - however I'd recommend trying this for yourself in our latest beta version as I don't have a copy of the exact font you're using in your screen recording.

You can find out how to sign up for the beta here - 

Hopefully you should find that this works as expected, but if you find this or any other bugs, you can report them here - 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/139-other-new-bugs-and-issues-in-the-betas/

I hope this helps :)

But if you use the Beta, you should work on copies of your documents. Once you Save an Affinity file using the 2.1 Beta you won't be able to Open it using 2.0.4 any more.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

• Staff

The issue "Divide fails on text" (REF: AFD-5860) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.