You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Warping curve in symbol is not applied to all symbols.

jpfouch48

When applying a warp modifier to an object in a symbol, the warp is not propagated to all symbols. It is only applied to the symbol that made the modification. The warp is showing up in the layers for each symbol, just not displaying the actual warp in the object. I would expect to warp to be duplicated to all symbol objects.

• Windows 11 22621
  • Hardware Acceleration Enabled
  • AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS
  • AMD radeon RX 6700S

Warp test.afdesign

Edited by jpfouch48

That's right, but hmmm - one might see this as a feature. You can design a symbold, use it multiple times in your layout. But every instance might be warped individually. It's like individual position and rotation. Isn't this rather a bonus than a bug. Or didn't i understand the problem?

New approach

v2-symbol-warp-usecase.afdesign

image.png.739354aeed5729bcad6df208d39cb3b8.png

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

We should ould be able to do both.

If the Warp is inside the symbol (and the symbols are Synced) then it should affect all symbols. 

If you want to warp symbols individually then the symbol should be in the warp. 

Anything else is inconsistent with existing behaviour. 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

@oscarlosan

That would be nice. I tried several grouping scenarios with symbols which none of them worked like expected.

May you please provide a simple Designer example file here that shows your solution 🙂

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I just revisited this issue today in v2.3.1 and it appears to be functioning correctly?

I made a symbol and duplicated it. Then applied a Warp Group to the curves inside the Symbol. Both instances of the symbol received the Warp Group and deformed correctly.

So is this bug fixed?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• Staff

Hi @Aammppaa,
Officially no. It's still on the backlog - nobody has been able to recreate it from scratch since v2.2.0.2005.
I also haven't been able to recreate it in the current release version nor in the beta (both macOS and Windows). It's possible same other change(s) may have fixed this. Currently we only have a couple old files where the issue is still visible (no deformation) when we open the files.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi @Aammppaa,
Officially no. It's still on the backlog - nobody has been able to recreate it from scratch since v2.2.0.2005.
I also haven't been able to recreate it in the current release version nor in the beta (both macOS and Windows). It's possible same other change(s) may have fixed this. Currently we only have a couple old files where the issue is still visible (no deformation) when we open the files.

I've done some very basic testing to see if I could reproduce and have not been able to do so either with 2.3.1. The file uploaded in the original post still seems messed up but I suspect that is because it was created with the older version.