You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboards in Affinity Photo 2

8 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

That’s a well known option. Bottom line is that we need artboards on all apps.

Tell the Affinity dev team & marketing.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 minutes ago, Return said:

I think the same answer will be for photo.

Publisher is understandable, it’s a tool for books and magazines. Photo however, is intended as a design tool as designer. Artboards are common sense in Photo.

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

4 minutes ago, albertkinng said:

Photo however, is intended as a design tool as designer. Artboards are common sense in Photo.

Photo is intended as an application for working on a single canvas, e.g., a single piece of art you're creating or a photo image. Artboards are for more general design work, and for its intended purposes, Photo does not really need them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, Return said:

No, it's what the user wants to use in its creative process, not dictated by the developers.

No. The Developers wrote the applications, and intended them for specific purposes. Users may wish to use them for other purposes, but that does not mean that is what the applications were intended for.

After all, the developer of the hammer certainly didn't intend you to use it to fry an egg.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The Developers wrote the applications, and intended them for specific purposes.

If it isn't intended it shouldn't even be possible to open artboards in publisher or photo.
But the same goes for pages in designer or photo.
Or edit photo's in publisher or designer.
It is either all because the format dictates it or nothing.
Since it shares the same format it is possible  and should be or it is a design flaw(ed decision).

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

After all, the developer of the hammer certainly didn't intend you to use it to fry an egg.

A hammer can do lot's of things it wasn't intended to do so your analogy is very weak here.
It can repair a shoe, put nails in wood, demolish glass, kill another man, take your pick.
The same I could do with a brick and this was also not intended for these purposes as well.

@walt.farrell

Schließlich hatte der Entwickler des Hammers ganz sicher nicht die Absicht, damit ein Ei zu braten.

So sehe ich das auch. Warum sollte jedes der drei Bearbeittungsprogramme eine Eierlegendewollmilchsau sein! Man kann auch Programme überfrachten, also zuviel hinein packen! 
Es dauert keine drei Sekunden um von Designer zu Photo und zurück zu gehen. 

Google Übersetzer

That's how I see it too. Why should each of the three processing programs be a jack of all trades! You can also overload programs, i.e. pack too much into them!
It takes less than three seconds to go from designer to photo and back.

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Photo is intended as an application for working on a single canvas, e.g., a single piece of art you're creating or a photo image. Artboards are for more general design work, and for its intended purposes, Photo does not really need them.

Well that's a thing of the past, even Photoshop which APh tries to resemble, does support the creation of Artboards nowadays without the need of Illustrator. - Further as APh internally already supports and includes the code to show up and make use of artboards, it's no big deal to let it create them too.

Also the whole was previously for sure more a marketing wise decision, aka in order to sell both APh + ADe for a conjunction usage to people here.

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The Developers wrote the applications, and intended them for specific purposes.

Developers usually do what is on the to-do list (their tickets) that they are working on, they usually don't decide such things themselves, except they are single fighting persons which run the whole business on their own.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

10 minutes ago, Westerwälder said:

It takes less than three seconds to go from designer to photo and back ...

... as far as you have both apps. - Now suppose you've only bought APh in order to have a possible PS replacement.

Sorry, but since there is so much overlap in the programs already so why such small restrictions because it is historically not just?
Where's the progress in these restrictions?
Let me, the user, decide on given project which is the right layout or environment I wish to conduct my work in.

31 minutes ago, Return said:

No, it's what the user wants to use in its creative process, not dictated by the developers.

That argument seems a bit farfetched to me because it could be applied to anything at all, so for instance it could be argued that every app should have complete word processing capabilities, a built-in browser, the capacity to import if not also export every known document format, & so on.

In fact, from that it could be argued that there should just be one ginormous "do everything" app with the capabilities to do anything at all that is even vaguely related to someone's creative process.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Let me, the user, decide on given project which is the right layout or environment I wish to conduct my work in.

You always have that choice -- just get the app(s) that support the layout(s) and/or environment(s) you wish to use.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

24 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Also the whole was previously for sure more a marketing wise decision, aka in order to sell both APh + ADe for a conjunction usage to people here.

Yes, & part of that was to make it possible to set lower prices for each app than would otherwise be possible & still make enough profit to continue to develop & support the apps. That's an important consideration for customers who only need the features of one of them.

Affinity Photo 

Well there remains one question though, how do you hang a picture on a wall?

Depends on the composition of the wall & if you own it or if not if have permission from its owner to put holes in it. :10_wink:

Affinity Photo 

@Zurückkehren 

In dem wir das Werzeug benutzen was ich zur Ausübung meines Handwerk über 30 Jahre jeden Tag benutzt habe. Drei Dinge braucht der Handwerker Hammer, Haubrücke und Nägel! Als Dachdecker war der Hammer mein Täglich Werkzeug!
Da konnte ich auch nicht die Blechschere zum Nägel einschlagen benutzen.

Deshalb wer vor einem Jahr das Einführungs Angebot nicht genutz hatte, selbst Schuld!

By using the tools that I have used every day to practice my craft for over 30 years. The craftsman needs three things: a hammer, a bridge and nails! As a roofer, the hammer was my daily tool!
I couldn't use tin snips to hammer in nails either.

Therefore, if you didn't take advantage of the introductory offer a year ago, it's your own fault!

1 minute ago, Westerwälder said:

The craftsman needs three things: a hammer, a bridge and nails!

That would not be a good choice for stone, tempered glass, or brick walls! 

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, Return said:

Sorry, but since there is already so much overlap in the programs already so why such small restrictions because it is historically not just?
Where's the progress in these restrictions?
Let me, the user, decide on given project which is the right layout or environment I wish to conduct my work.

Exactly! If AP would have NO option to open artboards, it would define this tool as a single canvas, single focus etc. 

As users we see however, that there is an option to do so and the whole point of saving and switching to another tool is a plain frustration from the user perspective.

The confusion and lack of integrity between the apps is exhausting. Designer gives you some raster features, but they are so limited that you need to switch to APhoto and the same goes for Photo and vector features. 

As a graphic designer who shifted into UX/UI design I can understand the defensive stance of some users, especially if they do small jobs or their work is mostly single file focused. Been there, done that, it changes when you have to scale.

As of 2023 I simply can't imagine to work effectively with my designs scattered between hundreds of files. When you collaborate in a team, the more files you have, the possibility of creating inconsistencies increases. Photoshop is going into live design in a collaborative file for a purpose - it's extremely hard to control your brand/design/system consistency otherwise. I've worked in several teams/products where I was a center point at the crossroad between marketing, development, design and sales teams and single source of truth solutions really saved us at the end of the day.

I will only mention iterative design and constant changes & improvements - it's unbelievably hard to update your materials when they are scattered. In the UX/UI field, one of the main points that such revolutionary app like Sketch was overtaken by Figma, was the ability to remove that pain (online, collaborative files). Sketch failed to allow teams to have up to date design files, some third party plugins tried to provide version control - but they worked awfully bad.

That's why artboards in AP would allow us to work efficiently, compare dozens of creations, create variants/versions and decide what works better. Without hundreds of switches between AP/AD.

As a person who creates whole product designs (UX/UI, branding, marketing materials (online & DTP)) I can see that my usage of Affinity suite is decreasing, despite new features being shipped.

Recent examples:
Instead of AP/AD I use Figma for social media and any online content, because I can have everything in one place and find/change multiple elements in a breeze.
Instead of AP I recently switched to Luminar AI (they were giving away free keys) to quickly adjust MULTIPLE raw photos from photo sessions. It can work slowly, but it covers the need to replace Lightroom. Doing it in AP would be way longer.

Oh and about Affinity and being jack of all trades, just look at SYMBOLS feature in AD. Intended for UI designers - is a pure pain & laugh through tears. 

2 minutes ago, Return said:

See the point of having all tools available without running to the shed all the time to find the drill or the screwdriver or a piece of tape or even get current or load the battery first.

The point is you still have to obtain all the tools you need for any particular job. So if you need a drill, a selection of bits for it, screwdrivers for different kind of screws, & so on, it is up to you to buy, rent, borrow, or otherwise obtain them.

Affinity Photo