You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting tool not functioning

• Staff

Hello dobroman,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you have the correct layer selected in the Layers panel (not an Adjustment or Live Filter layer otherwise the Inpainting Tool will not work).  Also make sure you are working with a Pixel layer type. You can identify the type of layer by looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers Panel. If it's identified as an Image layer, right-click on it (in the Layers Panel) and select Rasterise.... You should now be able to use the Inpainting Brush tool in that layer.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

Picking a tool, finding that it doesn't work and then realising I have an adjustment layer selected has been the thing that has taken me the most time to get my head around since starting out with AP about a week ago. I'm getting much better now at remembering to check the layer selected before I start applying tools like inpaint, dodge and burn.

BTW, I'm still blown away by what inpaint is able to do in extrapolating the scene behind the object being removed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I select the inpainting brush,  crete a New Layer, and am in that (Pixel) layer.  I paint the area to be removed, see the progress bar telling me it is doing something.  It concludes, the image has not changed.  I can inpaint on the original layer, but not on a new layer, non-destructively.  I have tried right-clicking the layer and selecting "Rasterize".  This doesn't change anything. 

I select the inpainting brush,  crete a New Layer, and am in that (Pixel) layer.  I paint the area to be removed, see the progress bar telling me it is doing something.  It concludes, the image has not changed.  I can inpaint on the original layer, but not on a new layer, non-destructively.  I have tried right-clicking the layer and selecting "Rasterize".  This doesn't change anything. 

There is nothing in a new layer to rasterize or for the inpainting brush to refer to.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

To inpaint non-destructively, choose "Current Layer and Below" in the toolbar when inpainting on a blank pixel layer.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

To inpaint non-destructively, choose "Current Layer and Below" in the toolbar when inpainting on a blank pixel layer.

I never knew that one! That's really clever. Even though I am a PS user from way back I learn so much here. Affinity has so much tucked away to discover. Without all you guys it would be so much harder. Thank you!