You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I request a vertical writing function.

• 2 weeks later...

For Affinity team.
I am a Japanese designer and I am enjoying using Affinity V2 photo and designer to try out the features included and create brushes.
I am sure that it is a very light and enjoyable tool and I would like to implement it in my work!
Unfortunately, Affinity V2 does not have a vertical writing function.
Vertical writing is used in only a few areas in Asia, so we know it's hard to add a feature for the minorities. However, in Japan, it is a very well-known and frequently used super cool expression technique. Its presence or absence is at the core of cultural and emotional expression.
When Affinity V1 was released in Japan a few years ago, I looked around at the feedback and evaluations from Japanese people, and while everyone praised Affinity V1, the lack of vertical writing was one of the most common reasons why they could not completely switch from Adobe products.
The power of vertical writing is tremendous, even more so than the Affinity team thinks.
Japanese people are good at anonymous twittering, but they are especially bad at sending requests to foreign products. In fact, I am writing this message with a translation tool and wondering if I am getting my message across.
So if my words are being translated incorrectly, I am worried that my passion for vertical writing is being conveyed.
I strongly hope that vertical writing will be implemented in Affinity V2.

Sadly, today on June 24th, 2023, Affinity still does not provide vertical text functionality. Consequently, I have resubscribed to Adobe Cloud Indesign for my Japanese vertical text publishing job.

I implore Affinity to consider the significance of vertical text for billions of people on planet Earth, including Chinese (including mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong), Japanese, and Korean readers. Failure to address this crucial feature results in a substantial loss of marketing opportunities and sharing potential for Affinity.

On 6/19/2023 at 1:25 AM, Shiki Rindou said:

For Affinity team.
I am a Japanese designer and I am enjoying using Affinity V2 photo and designer to try out the features included and create brushes.
I am sure that it is a very light and enjoyable tool and I would like to implement it in my work!
Unfortunately, Affinity V2 does not have a vertical writing function.
Vertical writing is used in only a few areas in Asia, so we know it's hard to add a feature for the minorities. However, in Japan, it is a very well-known and frequently used super cool expression technique. Its presence or absence is at the core of cultural and emotional expression.
When Affinity V1 was released in Japan a few years ago, I looked around at the feedback and evaluations from Japanese people, and while everyone praised Affinity V1, the lack of vertical writing was one of the most common reasons why they could not completely switch from Adobe products.
The power of vertical writing is tremendous, even more so than the Affinity team thinks.
Japanese people are good at anonymous twittering, but they are especially bad at sending requests to foreign products. In fact, I am writing this message with a translation tool and wondering if I am getting my message across.
So if my words are being translated incorrectly, I am worried that my passion for vertical writing is being conveyed.
I strongly hope that vertical writing will be implemented in Affinity V2.

自分にとっては英語版で綺麗に了解しています。ここで色んな人はこんな意見がたびたびに話しておりますが、長い時間にできないとSerifがよく言っていて、残念ですね。Adobe以外のアプリは現在にAffinityが一番いいだし。

• 4 weeks later...

I also support this request for proper Japanese/Chinese layouting:

• Proper character spacing (essentially putting each character in a square)
  • Vertical text
  • Ruby/Furigana
  • "Reversing" the page layout (i.e. starting from the right).

I can imagine that this would require a major refactoring, but it would be at least nice to be able to start with some of the easier features. For example, Gimp and Inkscape can both use vertical text at least in smaller boxes, which would at least be fine for captions.

• 2 months later...

Even if you do not use Japanese text, this is a fundamental text tool. It is elementary, but comes up a fair amount. I went searching for it for the spine of a book but was disappointed to see that Affinity is missing this feature as well. Hopefully, it can be implemented for both Publisher & Designer in V2.3.

8 hours ago, solace said:

for the spine of a book

Most English books I've seen have horizontally oriented text that has been rotated 90 degrees.

If all you are trying to do is stack the letters on top of each other for effect that is a much simpler thing to achieve than general purpose vertical writing: just use an unrotated text frame, set the horizontal alignment to centered, and press return (enter on Windows) after each letter of the text you are trying to put there.

For something like a book title on a spine that should not be a big deal?

Note that I am not saying that the feature request is in any way unimportant or invalid, but simply that it is not essential for this particular effect on something like a book spline which is a one-off sort of activity in the grand scheme of putting a book together.  Try writing entire stories that way and it would get old fast.

8 hours ago, solace said:

Hopefully, it can be implemented for both Publisher & Designer in V2.3.

This is highly unlikely.  Supporting vertical or even right-to-left text is a massive amount of work - much more than even many developers are likely to realize - and Serif has given no indication that they are actively working on this.  While I would not put it past them to add this feature eventually, I would be quite surprised to see it happen that quickly, and if it did, I would be even more surprised if it actually worked correctly.

• 4 months later...

It's 2024, and Affinity Publisher still doesn't have vertical text! That's why I'm excited to share that I've just subscribed to the full Adobe Suite CC. A few years ago, I was convinced Affinity was going to take down Adobe CC, but I was mistaken.

Adobe Photoshop now boasts incredible AI capabilities, and the user experience in Illustrator is top-notch. On the other hand, Affinity has really fallen behind in the last couple of years. So, for now, I'm sticking with Adobe and will wait to see if Affinity 3.0 can catch up in this AI-driven era.

• Staff

I have hidden recent posts within this thread.

It is completely unacceptable for users here on the Affinity Forums to decide what should or shouldn't be said by other users - this is solely a concern of the Affinity moderation team.

If you feel there is an issue with another's users post contents, please report the post and the moderation team will intervene as necessary.

Equally, personal attacks are not welcome here on the Forums. We do not allow users to engage in name calling.

Do not make further posts in this manner, or we will be forced to take action on your Affinity account.

Thank you for providing your feedback here @alanika. I certainly understand your requirements for vertical text support and hope you are able to try Affinity again at a later date, as we hope to implement this feature in a future update :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

On 11/10/2022 at 1:03 PM, rayRyo said:

I'm sorry that I'm not good at English.

I'd like to use the vertical writing in Japanese.

Vertical writing functions are essential in Japanese, especially for DTP software such as "publisher".

Japanese creators are currently hesitant to purchase the product simply because it does not have this feature.

I am afraid that only Japanese are the only users of this system, but please consider implementing it.

Approximately 20% of the global population might expect vertical text orientation in text boxes, as their languages traditionally utilise it as well. This figure predominantly includes the populations of China, Japan, and South Korea, where the tradition of vertical script is prevalent.

Imagine 1,577,000,000 individuals to get the general idea.

Thus, you are decidedly not alone in having a potential or direct interest in vertical text orientation. It is reasonable to assume that this functionality is something both professional and non-professional customers will seek out and base their product choice upon. Indeed, this region offers businesses a colossal potential market share, which ought to be considered in a manner befitting a gentleman. My personal experiences with the culture there, on both leisure and business trips, have been most favourable, ensuring that respect is indeed mutual.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

macOS/iPadOS M1 + M2 (latest)