You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working Between Affinity 2.0 and Photo 1.0 ?

I'm guessing this will only be possible one way, ie. forward?

Just asking because I'm looking at the 40% offer for the V2 Universal licence and this might have been a good package for me last year but as it is now Designer is really the only App that I use. Occasionally I might use Photo but not much and I have no use for Publisher so there is really no incentive for me to take this offer.

The 40% discount on Designer though maybe.

I could honestly count the number of times I've used Photo in the last year on one hand. I don't do photography anymore and haven't yet found much use for it alongside design work on Designer. So maybe D 2.0 and P 1.0 would be enough for me.

I guess if I needed to use photo for some effects on a background maybe then I could do that in P 1.0 and import it into D 2.0 and that would accommodate my needs?

I think I'm probably answering my own question here. 

Other than that, I don't really feel like forking out again for the latest software when (asides from a few minor bugs) the current version serves my needs well enough.

4 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

I guess if I needed to use photo for some effects on a background maybe then I could do that in P 1.0 and import it into D 2.0 and that would accommodate my needs?

The only problem you need to think about is that once you save in V2 you won't be able to use Photo V1 to redo the effects or add/do new Photo related stuff to that document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

That's what I thought. Not a great incentive for me/my purpose and also feels like built in obsolescence to force me to buy both D2 and P2

Or it means I can use P1 to create content for D2, but I won't be able to take content from D2 and apply effects in P1

More specifically though: Will it be possible export jpg files from P1 into D2?

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

Note that you can generally copy between v1 and v2 without issue, that is unless you select something in v2 that uses a v2-specific feature.

Yeah, precisely. I tried this before and it does not have a lot of issue copy+pasting stuff in-between programs as long as no V2 features are present. Had V1 crash when having a Warp Mesh when trying once, for instance.

9 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Had V1 crash when having a Warp Mesh when trying once, for instance.

For me copy/paste works alright so far. All this live warping is simply being flattened to curves on the fly.
Keep in mind though that there's a preference setting General > Clipboard > Copy items as SVG. I'm keeping this turned off. So the clipboard content is converted to PDF.

Another way to exchange stuff is via PDF export. That's what I'll be likely doing on the iPad (v2) while working on El Capitan (v1, obviously).

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 hours ago, loukash said:

Another way to exchange stuff is via PDF export. That's what I'll be likely doing on the iPad (v2) while working on El Capitan (v1, obviously).

I'm considering buying D2 and P2 on iPadOS for now so I can at least have access to the new features, and in the meantime while I work out budgetary constraints find a way to work with that and D1 and P1 on Windows. 

I find performing certain tasks easier on each platform and tend to keep the iPad for brushing and vectoring. My big windows monitor is also vital for viewing work

Thing is though, if/when I later go for P2 and D1 on Windows (assuming there will be another 40% offer) then the overall cost will work out about the same as the introductory full suite offer - but I'll just have to live with that and in any case I'm not ever going to use Publisher anyway

£20 for the latest Designer and Photo Apps on iPadOS is a good deal - can't complain with that

6 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Thing is though, if/when I later go for P2 and D1 on Windows (assuming there will be another 40% offer) then the overall cost will work out about the same as the introductory full suite offer - but I'll just have to live with that and in any case I'm not ever going to use Publisher anyway

It is unlikely that Serif will have another 40% off discount in the future. Their usual discounts have been about 20%.

Too bad about the budgetary constraints, as the Universal license at 40% off is a great deal, even if you don't use Publisher. (And Publisher is a great workflow aid for many of us, as it allows easy working between Photo and Designer for many projects, so you might find it helps your workflow significantly.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It is unlikely that Serif will have another 40% off discount in the future. Their usual discounts have been about 20%.

Too bad about the budgetary constraints, as the Universal license at 40% off is a great deal, even if you don't use Publisher. (And Publisher is a great workflow aid for many of us, as it allows easy working between Photo and Designer for many projects, so you might find it helps your workflow significantly.)

What use is Publisher going to be to me if I'm not publishing anything?

I used to publish crosswords mind and I'm hoping for another gig doing that in the future. 

I might take the hit and go fully monty but not until I've trialled the new versions. So far I've not seen anything other than one minor bug fix that makes it worth my while. 

1 hour ago, awakenedbyowls said:

What use is Publisher going to be to me if I'm not publishing anything?

You don't need to publish anything. But you'll get many typographical features that are not available in ADe or APh.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2