You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Same here. 

It's useful when I write English, but when I type in my own language, it's a little disturbing. 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

There is a spell checker. It can underline mis-spelt words as you type. If this isn't working, check that it is enabled (Text > Spelling > Check Spelling While Typing) and that the caret is not in the mis-spelt word (it waits until you have finished typing the word before checking it). Then check that the text language is set as you expect, at the bottom of the Character Studio tab. Imported text can sometimes get its language set to None, in which case it cannot detect spelling errors. You can also check the document in batch mode if you prefer, using options in the Text > Spelling menu.

The spell checker uses the standard OS X dictionaries. Madame, what do you find disturbing about it?

Just visually. All the underlining under all the Norwegian words. I use Norwegian and English every day.

It's very useful when I type English though. I'll just have to decide if I want it on or not I think.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

There is a spell checker. It can underline mis-spelt words as you type. If this isn't working, check that it is enabled (Text > Spelling > Check Spelling While Typing) and that the caret is not in the mis-spelt word (it waits until you have finished typing the word before checking it). Then check that the text language is set as you expect, at the bottom of the Character Studio tab. Imported text can sometimes get its language set to None, in which case it cannot detect spelling errors. You can also check the document in batch mode if you prefer, using options in the Text > Spelling menu.

The spell checker uses the standard OS X dictionaries. Madame, what do you find disturbing about it?

Thanks Dave. I went back and did my own typing in AD and it works fine. I had copy pasted text from another app and it doesn't spell check that way. Maybe in a future update.

I'm not sure I understand the first part of your question.
It's very useful for me to have the English spell check, not necessary to check the Norwegian.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Each character of text has a language attribute. Words are spell-checked in the language of the first character of the word. You can have English words checked against an English spelling dictionary, and Norwegian words checked against a Norwegian dictionary, if you set each word to have the appropriate language. You can change which language a piece of text has, by using the Character panel. Does that make sense?

• 4 years later...

I'm using Affinity Publisher ver 1.8.3 but spelling errors are not detected think_1.png:
image.png.bf93931798d4ff5bf987b3c9df3ce0cc.png

This is the current spell-check settings:

image.png.4d87ad41edd75267755b5b7eeb182072.png

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

8 hours ago, Elise Kleve said:

I'm using Affinity Publisher ver 1.8.3 but spelling errors are not detected

The more important question is, if you place the text cursor in one of those words, then look in the Character studio panel, what spelling language is specified?

image.png.90bb6efa4f42cc94ce7e097de486d1bd.png

It may also be important to know what OS you use, what language you have your system set to use, and what language you have specified for the Publisher User Interface (UI) in its Preferences (General tab).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

58 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The more important question is, if you place the text cursor in one of those words, then look in the Character studio panel, what spelling language is specified?

I have inserted filler texts all throughout my work and why is everything is now set to Latin?

It's good that Publisher has this option but it's more helpful if the app can automatically detect the language.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

9 minutes ago, Elise Kleve said:

I have inserted filler texts all throughout my work and why is everything is now set to Latin?

The filler text may look like Latin, but it isn’t really! It’s Lorem Ipsum.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

18 minutes ago, Elise Kleve said:

why is everything is now set to Latin?

The reason is the origin of the filler text. (see Alfred's link)
So the purpose is to enable hyphenation for this filler text.

Note: in the apps Preferences > Filler Text you may enter your custom filler text + select its language.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

14 hours ago, Alfred said:

The filler text may look like Latin, but it isn’t really! It’s Lorem Ipsum.

14 hours ago, thomaso said:

The reason is the origin of the filler text. (see Alfred's link)
So the purpose is to enable hyphenation for this filler text.

Note: in the apps Preferences > Filler Text you may enter your custom filler text + select its language.

Yeah, I know what Lorem Ipsum is. What I am asking is why Publisher automatically sets all the subsequent texts that I created into Latin when they are completely written in English?
This is not helpful at all since we naturally use filler texts when we start creating compositions and write the real content afterwards. Automatic language detection for spell-check should work once the content is changed.

Automatic language detection for spell-check should work once the content is changed.

There is no language detection in the Affinity apps. The spellcheck language depends on your (default OS or custom) settings.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Automatic language detection for spell-check should work

I don't have an "Auto" option for spell-check. For filler text it is set to "None". – To me "Auto" is available only in the menus for Hyphenation and Typography.

But I agree concerning the Hypenation language:
In a text frame set to Auto it appears to get set to Latin if filler text gets placed and, – unfortunately – sticks to Latin and needs to get reset manually to Auto if text in a different language got typed with manually selected as spell-check language:

1872659101_spellhypenfilltextauto-sets.jpg.7b3c5b58789ba1e924658359b275399b.jpg

In this screenshot also another issue is visible: although the selected characters in the middle text frame have different Spelling languages assigned the Character Panel appears to show the first only (None, because filler text/Latin).

v183 spell&hyph language Auto vs Latin.afpub

Currently it appears like a bug to me. I haven't tried the Auto option yet with another language change than with filler text and its Latin.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1