You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD - Some fonts missing styles

Latest AD on Win11.

At least one font is missing its styles in AD. Bahnschrift has many styles as illustrated by the Fonts panel:

image.png.e36e6ce18bb75ef3381375315e6ea031.png

AD, on the other hand, shows this:

image.png.b1cba1e58a800eb67841883b6cc63889.png

And the labels aren't kidding - they're all the same style! 

I tested these fonts in a Word document, and they work as advertised. 

Suggestions?

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

Bahnschrift is a variable font, but regardless, it displays correctly in Affinity Designer for Mac. The variable part of the font will not function but will work as a standard font. Really Affinity Designer should still display the fonts correctly.

image.png.54cbc481725ea2ea6948221b8c51b3dc.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Really Affinity Designer should still display the fonts correctly.

The MacOS font manager displays fonts which are not supported. That is not "correct."

Per the OpenType specs when variable fonts are not supported the default master is to be used. So that is what is displayed on Windows - the only font which can actually be used.

Listing a bunch of fonts which cannot be used is confusing to users as evidenced by the multiple posts from Mac users about both variable fonts and color fonts.

It should still display the style names correctly instead of showing 225 regular styles. Installing from Font Book and checking Affinity Designer on Mac displays the style names correctly not 225 regular styles. I know the font cannot be used as it was intended but nevertheless it's not the mess the OP sees on Windows.

image.png.2fbce66c148d90429d5dcc8561d8fed3.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 4/10/2022 at 1:45 AM, firstdefence said:

Bahnschrift is a variable font, but regardless, it displays correctly in Affinity Designer for Mac. The variable part of the font will not function but will work as a standard font. Really Affinity Designer should still display the fonts correctly.

I don't understand - Word displays and uses these fonts properly, why not Affinity products?

Further, Bahnschrift isn't the only font with this issue - Open Sans does the same thing.

How am I supposed to know which Windows-compatible fonts do or don't work with AD?

2 minutes ago, casterle said:

I don't understand - Word displays and uses these fonts properly, why not Affinity products?

What is to not understand? Word supports the variable fonts, Affinity applications doesn't support the variable fonts.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

40 minutes ago, casterle said:

How am I supposed to know which Windows-compatible fonts do or don't work with AD?

Try them. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Variable fonts are not supported i.e you can use the font under it's style such as bold condensed but you cannot change the weight of that style. Affinity also does not support Colour fonts, they will display as a single colour which can be a bit of a mess when the colours define the shape of the font.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:18 PM, Old Bruce said:

What is to not understand? Word supports the variable fonts, Affinity applications doesn't support the variable fonts.

Until yesterday I thought all fonts I installed on Windows worked with all Windows programs, transparently via the OS.

I didn't understand that special support is required for some fonts. Can I assume that none of the Google fonts will work?

On 4/13/2022 at 1:54 PM, walt.farrell said:

Try them. 

That's OK if they're already installed but downloading and installing a font to see if it works only to have to uninstall it (to prevent clutter) is painful.

28 minutes ago, casterle said:

Can I assume that none of the Google fonts will work?

If you mean any of the GF variable fonts, yes, they will not work in Affinity apps.
The GF static fonts work just fine.

Note, the GF variable fonts are designed to have the same instance names as the static fonts.
This is so if the user has either installed locally they will be used (saving the font download).
Because of this it is not a good idea the have both the statics and variables installed.
This will definitely cause conflicts in Affinity apps, and perhaps other applications too.
This name conflict is why font designers generally use a different name on the variable version.
GF does this on purpose as their goal is speed and to save the bandwidth.

1 hour ago, casterle said:

That's OK if they're already installed but downloading and installing a font to see if it works only to have to uninstall it (to prevent clutter) is painful.

Just don't install a font that says it's a Variable font, and you'll be fine.

With Google Fonts, for example, once you have them downloaded you have a choice between Static and Variable.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You can also use a Font Manager to manage fonts better. You can activate and deactivate fonts or groups of fonts based on style, features: variable fonts, folder etc 

@LibreTraining, @walt.farrell Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know the GF fonts offered a choice between installing static and variable fonts. I don't recall being given a choice as to which to install, but I wasn't looking for one either. 

At any rate, I can reinstall the fonts as static and have them work in AD.