You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rotation tool

Doesn’t the rotation paddle work for you when you have the Move Tool active and an object selected? :/

Edit: There’s also the option of scrubbing over the ‘R’ label in the Transform panel if you want arbitrary rotation instead of precise numerical input.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I am sorry, I think I did not make it clear that I am looking for a smooth way to rotate the whole canvas. When drawing on a tablet like IPad you can use a two-finger gesture to rotate the canvas to a suitable rotation when you want to draw a line that is a bit more challenging.

I have setup the hotkeys for rotating the canvas but this has the downside that if you e.g. have to rotate a lot, you press the buttons 10 times. That works much better when looking at the "Move Canvas" Handtool or the Zoomtool... And you only have to link one button for those tools...

1 hour ago, Jensolo said:

I am sorry, I think I did not make it clear that I am looking for a smooth way to rotate the whole canvas.

My turn to issue an apology! I overlooked the fact that you wrote 

6 hours ago, Jensolo said:

the canvas could then be rotated by …

in your original post.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi!

The options that are available to rotate the Canvas, that I am aware of, are:

• Pressing Alt key (Windows) and use the Mouse wheel
  • I created a shortcut for the keaboard, where Ctrl + 4 rotates leftt and Ctrl + 6 rotates right (same as in the View menu). Ctrl + 5 resets the rotation.

Beswt regards!

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2022 at 4:38 PM, Mithferion said:

Hi!

The options that are available to rotate the Canvas, that I am aware of, are:

• Pressing Alt key (Windows) and use the Mouse wheel
  • I created a shortcut for the keaboard, where Ctrl + 4 rotates leftt and Ctrl + 6 rotates right (same as in the View menu). Ctrl + 5 resets the rotation.

Beswt regards!

we don't have wheels on pen tablets like HUION or Wacom tablets!!!!

21 minutes ago, Abdurhman said:

or Wacom tablets!!!!

Wacom tablets (at least some) allow rotation via touch gestures on the tablet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, Abdurhman said:

but I don't think that would help if knowing "some" wacom tablets have touch gestures!

Well, if you have a Wacom tablet, perhaps you just need to enable the function on yours.

And if you don't, perhaps you should get one :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Well, if you have a Wacom tablet, perhaps you just need to enable the function on yours.

And if you don't, perhaps you should get one :)

thanks for the advice Walt!

I'm not going to spend my money on a new Wacom but I'll be investing my money on a different software that have this simple feature.

have nice day!

@Abdurhman If your tablet has buttons you can keybind the rotation operators to your tablet and then hold them down to rotate the canvas. Some tablets support sliding values by having a ring you can drag with your finger, so there's that too. I know Wacom supports scroll up and scroll down, so you can get more fine adjustment rotations that way.

image.png.2212210bcea4b87fbd62a8a2cdef3a1c.png

Personally I use a regular keyboard for rotating using these keybinds for ease of access. I stopped using tablet buttons a long time ago unless it's to toggle between multiple screens. Would be cool though if modern Wacoms actually had a scroll wheel on the pen. Would make things so much easier...

image.png.92360c4b27b80749a49c628cac38897b.png