You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is causing verticle text outside the text frame

Was the text typed with breaks after each character + the text frame has insets set?

961365937_textoutofframe.jpg.4603b66319e52957727db702c60e78a1.jpg

And/or does the image above have text wrap active?

It could be useful to see your layers panel or get the page / .afpub uploaded.

Edited by thomaso

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 hours ago, thomaso said:

Was the text typed with breaks after each character + the text frame has insets set?

961365937_textoutofframe.jpg.4603b66319e52957727db702c60e78a1.jpg

And/or does the image above have text wrap active?

It could be useful to see your layers panel or get the page / .afpub uploaded.

No, I didn't know you could do either of those. I just started typing and it did that. The page is an import from a pdf created in Word that included the images (there were 25 of them). Each sentence turned out to be a separate text frame. Really annoying and it does it all the time. 
It doesn't matter where I create the text frame, on the imported pdf pages, they all turn out like that.
The text really isn't outside the box, just at the very bottom center. It didn't matter how I applied the settings.
here is no text wrap for text or images.
 have attached the pages. The book is 130 pages long and I didn't want to post the entire thing here.
I did a work around and copied one of the sentences in its frame and moved it to the position I wanted and created the text I wanted. I have to move on to other page edits now but would really like to know what is going on.

NOTE:  I just noticed that the text frames are coming up with 4 table/column lines. How do I get rid of that? I am thinking that is the problem.
image.png.5ae6ff3238bf3f036ba754c0f1e10c18.png

what are fossils text frame issues.afpub

1 hour ago, jwardzala said:

I just noticed that the text frames are coming up with 4 table/column lines. How do I get rid of that? I am thinking that is the problem.

image.png.46da83383461fefb7143c5e9cb9ca2d5.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thank  you. I spoke too soon. I don't have the column icon on the tool bar and can't find it anywhere. Why would the text frame now have columns in it. I had the 30 day trial and just purchased Publisher and Designer. The text frame was fine before that. 
I need help finding how to fix the text frame so I doesn't have columns. 

Which application are you using? Publisher supports columns in text frames, but Designer doesn't. 

On the other hand, you can Open a Publisher document in Designer, and then you will have partial support for columns there, too.

Publisher (in the Publisher Persona) also has the Text Frame panel in the Studio (View > Studio > Text Frame) that offers some additional controls (such as insets) that may be relevant to your problem.

If you can provide a sample .afpub or .afdesign file we can probably tell you exactly what's happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

As @Walt already pointed out the Text Frame panel is available in APub only, not in AD. My two screenshots show the related "Insets" option which of course influences columns, that you also can set in this panel.

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panels/textFramePanel.html?title=Text Frame panel

If you open the document in APub you can make use of APub's Studio Link feature. Then a click on the blue AD persona icon next to the APub icon would switch to the interface from APub to AD and there offers AD's specific features, tools and panels, as e.g. the Brush Tool or the Appearance panel. With another click on the APub icon you get back to the APub interface.

1039341989_apubpersonas.jpg.99fdf5d1ff2ec1e41bcc1ee839431069.jpg

2 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

How do I get rid of the columns that are showing up in every text frame I add now??

Click on the "Revert Defaults" icon, shown in my last screenshot, too. It looks like a bright cloud with a red stroke.

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/ObjectControl/objectDefaults.html?title=Object defaults

Affinity apps remember specific tool settings which were last used, so you alternatively can set the properties of this current Text Frame to your needs to get them used for future text frames.

To get familiar to the Affinity interface in general or in particular don't be shy to feel free enjoy reading the Help articles. Although its Search function doesn't know all the Affinity keywords it may be a good start just to look up for interface elements… ;)

18 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Click on the "Revert Defaults" icon, shown in my last screenshot, too. It looks like a bright cloud with a red stroke.

https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/ObjectControl/objectDefaults.html?title=Object defaults

Affinity apps remember specific tool settings which were last used, so you alternatively can set the properties of this current Text Frame to your needs to get them used for future text frames.

To get familiar to the Affinity interface in general or in particular don't be shy to feel free enjoy reading the Help articles. Although its Search function doesn't know all the Affinity keywords it may be a good start just to look up for interface elements… ;)

Thank you very much. I will do that after my book it complete. I have had so many problems with Affinity deleting images, moving images, crashing etc. I am afraid to do that until I am done. I spend hours looking up videos and reading articles before I post here. The problem with the Help is it says go to this panel and go to that panel but never tells you where to find the panels. 

30 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

How do I get rid of the columns that are showing up in every text frame I add now??

As @Pšenda and @thomaso mention above...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 Magic Mouse

21 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

never tells you where to find the panels. 

You find ALL Panels at 1 spot in the interface. @Walt told you already the way to go:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Publisher (in the Publisher Persona) also has the Text Frame panel in the Studio (View > Studio > Text Frame) that offers some additional controls (such as insets) that may be relevant to your problem.

29 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

I will do that after my book it complete.

Aha. A decision for "learning by doing" can create speedy success for one but will be more time consuming for other users – risky in particular if you feel to lack of time. For a fluent workflow it is very helpful to know at least the interface you are in. 

"We don't have much time, we have to go slowly." 
"The interface is the map to a new city".
(Konfuzius ;•)

45 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Thank you for taking the time to do that. My issue is I don't have Columns on the toolbar. I don't see it in customize toolbar. I went to the text frame settings in Studio and put everything to 0 but I still get vertical text. Patience please as I am 70 years old and it takes a bit more effort when I am learning. 
image.png.acab1be5b2687edd6d45476eafc76561.png

You need to select the text frame using either the move tool (the arrow tool) or the Text Tool first before you will see the columns in the context tool bar, when the text box is not selected you won't see columns because the options shown are context sensitive.

Maybe you could select the text frame and then upload a screenshot of what you see, that may help everyone understand what you are seeing a little better?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 Magic Mouse

4 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

My issue is I don't have Columns on the toolbar.

Now you have columns in the Text Frame panel. Again, as mentioned before.

What makes you to prefer hurrying and wasting time instead of opening your eyes & mind?

Just now, thomaso said:

Now you have columns in the Text Frame panel. Again, as mentioned before.

What makes you to prefer hurrying and wasting time instead of opening your eyes & mind?

Excuse me but I don't need shaming. I know it is popular right now but I don't appreciate it one bit. If you don't have the patience anymore to help or are having a bad day then move on please.
You have no idea how many hours I have spent watching videos and how many articles I have read before coming here. Hours and hours. This program is full of bugs and there is a learning curve. I am not in a "hurry" other than I would have had this book out a month ago in time for Black Friday had it not been for the crashes and the program deleting images and moving them around and stuff like this happening. You don't know me. I was employed in tech support for many years for large companies.  I currently build  and host websites. I have a successful SEO business of 20 years getting websites to the first page of Google. One of my customers currently is Bally's. I program in HTML and used to create database programs in Access using VBA. I learned DOS, Fortran and Cobol when they first came out. I graduated with a BSBA from Colorado Tech Suma Cum Laude. IQ of 140. I am not a stupid woman or in a hurry. If I was, I never would have accomplished everything that I have. 

So we can just end this now. The only reason I purchased the program, Publisher and Designer, is because my book is not completed yet.
Once my book is completed I will try the Return to Default and maybe that will fix the problem with the text box showing up with columns, which never should have happened. Nor do I want to have to change the settings every single time I create a text box.  

14 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

Once my book is completed I will try the Return to Default and maybe that will fix the problem with the text box showing up with columns, which never should have happened. Nor do I want to have to change the settings every single time I create a text box.  

Make a text frame.

With that text frame selected in the layers panel open up the Text Frame Panel.

Set the number of columns to 0 (zero).

Set the offsets to 0 (zero).

With that text frame still selected in the layers panel go to Edit > Defaults >  Synchronize from Selection

With that text frame still selected in the layers panel go to Edit > Defaults > Save

you should now be set.

264433667_ScreenShot2021-12-04at8_50_10AM.png.8d5494ebc2567e1705156d38f09642d5.png

1909139143_ScreenShot2021-12-04at8_50_31AM.png.43679b038d5eb5136627e1769fb3d69f.png

949893918_ScreenShot2021-12-04at8_50_39AM.png.100702273a809dbd85dafda71720db1f.png

Easy only once you know how to do it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

41 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

Once my book is completed I will try the Return to Default and maybe that will fix the problem with the text box showing up with columns,

Just in case: This button does not reset all tools or the entire app but got specially developed for situations like yours with the unwanted 4 column text frame's default which you want to get rid of. If you want to fix a problem it will hardly be successful to ask for help, then ignore the help, then postpone the implementation until later, and then ask again in the hope a different answer would become reality.

One different answer would be: Adjust the Text Frame settings in the Text Frame panel for this and/or all other affected Text Frames. Depending on the number of text frames this workflow will work, too, but may be more time consuming then using the Revert Defaults option.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Make a text frame.

With that text frame selected in the layers panel open up the Text Frame Panel.

Set the number of columns to 0 (zero).

Set the offsets to 0 (zero).

With that text frame still selected in the layers panel go to Edit > Defaults >  Synchronize from Selection

With that text frame still selected in the layers panel go to Edit > Defaults > Save

you should now be set.

264433667_ScreenShot2021-12-04at8_50_10AM.png.8d5494ebc2567e1705156d38f09642d5.png

1909139143_ScreenShot2021-12-04at8_50_31AM.png.43679b038d5eb5136627e1769fb3d69f.png

949893918_ScreenShot2021-12-04at8_50_39AM.png.100702273a809dbd85dafda71720db1f.png

Easy only once you know how to do it.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help. I will do that. 

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Just in case: This button does not reset all tools or the entire app but got specially developed for situations like yours with the unwanted 4 column text frame's default which you want to get rid of. If you want to fix a problem it will hardly be successful to ask for help, then ignore the help, then postpone the implementation until later, and then ask again in the hope a different answer would become reality.

One different answer would be: Adjust the Text Frame settings in the Text Frame panel for this and/or all other affected Text Frames. Depending on the number of text frames this workflow will work, too, but may be more time consuming then using the Revert Defaults option.

Right another bug with a fix that doesn't work for everything. I can't waste my time on a bug right now. When I am done editing the book and it is in PDF form without losing any images, which happens consistently, I will go back and follow Old Bruce's instructions on how to fix the issue. 
I don't know what your problem is but I certainly am not ignoring help. I tried everything that was explained and then asked another question. Maybe you aren't paying attention to what I am saying. Please don't respond to me anymore. I will get help from others. 

8 minutes ago, jwardzala said:

Maybe you aren't paying attention to what I am saying.

Aha. Where? Currently you seem to agree to the hint using the Defaults, this time recommended by another community member. So, you changed your mind about using the Defaults, that's fine so far. Nevertheless that doesn't allow the conclusion I would not pay attention to what you are saying but rather implies yourself doesn't pay attention to what you are saying. Consider the first response in your thread was asking for possibly assigned insets to the affected text frame, with your first response: "No". Then it required several posts of several community members to detect that actually your issue was indeed caused by text frame settings, one of them the insets.

4 hours ago, jwardzala said:

Excuse me but I don't need shaming. I know it is popular right now but I don't appreciate it one bit.

Ja. Me too.