You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Make text frame flow around a round object

Dear Community,

I have been working with Affinity Publisher for some time now as part of my final thesis. I have already asked one or two questions and you have answered them without any problems. 

I'm preparing posters for a school field trip and in order to deviate a bit from the rectangular text frames, I'd like to put a round element in the middle and have the text frames flow around it. 
You can find an example in the attachment. I would prefer that the text frames would not be under the Fairtrade logo, but just before a round course would take and so the entire contour is also present. 

Is that possible?

Thanks a lot :)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Liebe Community,

Ich beschäftige mich seit einiger Zeit im Rahmen meiner Abschlussarbeit mit Affinity Publisher. Ein oder zwei Fragen habe ich auch schon gestellt und sie wurden anstandslos von euch beantwortet. 

Ich bereite Poster für eine schulische Exkursion vor und um etwas von den rechteckigen Textrahmen abzuweichen, würde ich gerne mal ein rundes Element in die Mitte setzen und die Textrahmen es umfließen lassen. 
Im Anhang findet ihr ein Beispiel. Am liebsten wäre es mir, wenn die Textrahmen nicht unter dem Fairtrade-Logo sein würden, sondern kurz vorher einer runden Verlauf nehmen würden und so auch die gesamte Kontur vorhanden ist. 

Ist das möglich?

Vielen Dank :)

Fairtrade.pdf

Select your graphic that is over the text frame and then "Text" - "Text Wrap".

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

You can make an object with the pen tool and then use that as a text frame by clicking inside it with the text tool. Note that if you want a border or colour in the frame and you use Designer you'll have to double the object first. Have one as the text frame and the other as the border frame and background colour.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 4 months later...
43 minutes ago, MikeK36 said:

I'm trying to do the same in Designer - is Wrap Text only possible in Publisher? Seriously??

I tied drawing an "L" shape with the pen tool and can't find anyway of getting text inside it....

Wrapping text around an object is indeed only possible (other than manually) in Publisher, but if you want to put text inside an object in Designer you can simply click on the object with the Frame Text Tool to convert it to a shaped text frame.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Continued from @Alfred's hint for Affinity Designer: There you can combine the option of placing text inside any "(Curve)" shape with the Geometry option "Subtract" to force simulate text wrap around a larger object. Limitation: with this workaround you can edit the wrapped object with the Node Tool only once it got merged by a Geometry option.

784142483_textwrapforcesimulateAD.thumb.jpg.a76a8837d0f463d305bab955a8593203.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1