You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Rectangle Mask on Face to Change Skin Colour Not Happening ?

I am trying to do this step as shown in this Video from Affinity Revolution.  https://youtu.be/AevrCI1DzIg

Which is basically to change the Skin Colour of a Subject by drawing a Rectangle on the face and then masking it. It is a very quick, easy and effective way of changing skin colour.

But I am facing an issue while doing it on the Desktop App This is the screenshot of my Layers Panel-

Blend-Mode.jpg

As shown in the Video when I draw a Rectangle, Pick a Colour, in Blend Mode choose Multiply then Mask it. The Video says to use  Paint Brush and paint over the face area selecting the Rectangle Layer. But when I am trying to do it, I cannot paint it, nothing happens what is going wrong ? Where am I failing ? In the above screenshot it shows Pixel layer selected, but I have also tried selecting the Rectangle and Mask Layer aswell, it is not working.

Edit : If this matters I have done Merge Visible and converted it in a Single Pixel Layer and I am doing this Colour changing with a Rectangle on that Layer.

You should definitely be painting ion the Mask layer

Check the brush is a basic brush
Check brush colour is white and opacity is 100%
Check Protect Alpha is OFF

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

29 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You should definitely be painting ion the Mask layer

Check the brush is a basic brush
Check brush colour is white and opacity is 100%
Check Protect Alpha is OFF

Which Mask ? Do you mean the Mask which is nested with the Rectangle Layer or do you mean any other Mask in the Layer Studio ? I have Quite a few of Masks in my Project ! lol !

Yes, the mask that is nested with the Rectangle layer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 minutes ago, augustya said:

Which Mask ? Do you mean the Mask which is nested with the Rectangle Layer or do you mean any other Mask in the Layer Studio ? I have Quite a few of Masks in my Project ! lol !

Just wondering why you have more than one mask, only one is used in the video. I'm wondering if one of your other masks is hiding the one you need to paint on.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 minutes ago, augustya said:

I have done quite a few things before to this same Photo, where Mask was used.

The thing is that if you don't start with the same set-up as in the tutorial, that may well affect how the tutorial works for you. I'm sure if you follow this tutorial with a new photo it will work properly. 🙂 (or copy the one you have and flatten the copy: Assuming you want to keep the version with the other layers.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

The thing is that if you don't start with the same set-up as in the tutorial, that may well affect how the tutorial works for you. I'm sure if you follow this tutorial with a new photo it will work properly. 🙂 (or copy the one you have and flatten the copy: Assuming you want to keep the version with the other layers.)

So Merge Visible and Flatten the Copy are not the same ? What does Flatten Copy do ?

3 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I have already done "Merge Visible" It is still not working !

Can you do a screen recording on the iPad? (to upload it to the forum)

I don't have an iPad, so cant check that

Also, can you upload the document to the forum?

13 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Why are you asking for a screen recording on iPad? :/

2 hours ago, augustya said:

I am facing an issue while doing it on the Desktop App

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

21 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Also, can you upload the document to the forum?

I am doing this time on the Desktop APP on my Windows Laptop.

on the iPad with a Single, Fresh Copy Photo it works like a charm !

19 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Why are you asking for a screen recording on iPad?

Because I am stupid. The video example was done on an iPad, I made the wrong assumptions from that point forward

1 hour ago, augustya said:

I am doing this time on the Desktop APP on my Windows Laptop.

on the iPad with a Single, Fresh Copy Photo it works like a charm !

You said it works like a charm - what solution are you looking for?

26 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

You said it works like a charm - what solution are you looking for?

Why people are getting confused?? I wrote very clearly in my first post.

I said It works on an iPad when I just have one layer in my photo.

I am trying to make this work on the Affinity Photo Desktop APP !! On my Computer not on my iPad

It is not happening here on the Desktop APP with all these layers !!

As I said, it probably isn't working because you have all these other layers/masks. If you are trying to follow a tutorial you need to start from a similar image (i.e. a single layer no other masks etc) as is being used in the tutorial. (As, apparently, you are doing on your iPad.) If it works on the iPad but not on your desktop, then it's obviously down to the fact that you're not using the same starting image! Unless we can see a video of what you're doing, have a look at the actual file you're working on, and know exactly what all these layers and masks are doing, it's very difficult to tell you how to make it work on the image on your desktop. Have you tried following the tutorial, on your desktop, with the same (or similar) picture to that being used in the tutorial? Or, come to that, the same one that works on your iPad.

2 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

As I said, it probably isn't working because you have all these other layers/masks. If you are trying to follow a tutorial you need to start from a similar image (i.e. a single layer no other masks etc) as is being used in the tutorial. (As, apparently, you are doing on your iPad.) If it works on the iPad but not on your desktop, then it's obviously down to the fact that you're not using the same starting image! Unless we can see a video of what you're doing, have a look at the actual file you're working on, and know exactly what all these layers and masks are doing, it's very difficult to tell you how to make it work on the image on your desktop. Have you tried following the tutorial, on your desktop, with the same (or similar) picture to that being used in the tutorial? Or, come to that, the same one that works on your iPad.

Maybe what you are saying is true, maybe it is not working because of all these layers that I have. And I am not saying it is not workable on the Desktop. I am asking for help to get it going/working on the Desktop even with all these layers, other members here have helped me in the past to achieve my goal even when there were all these layers in there. For e.g. I was trying to apply a adjustment layer I was told to make it in one single layer by merging all the visible layer. Which I did and it worked.

So I am assuming it will work even this time, since I did the same step of Flattening the Layer. But it isnt.

Hence I am asking what can be done.

No veteran and expert of Affinity Photo will tell anyone to come out of the project and to achieve one another goal start a new Project altogether. That is defeating the whole purpose of Layers in Affinity Photo. would it be not ?

Sorry, but I thought you were trying to follow a particular tutorial. Apparently you want to achieve the same result but with a completely different setup. That's fine, but from the screenshot it's very difficult to see what the problem is. It looks like it should be working, so I think MEB could well have hit the nail on the head!