You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke alignment isn't working :-(

• Staff

Hi Barrowman,

This is working for me in 1.10, however Stroke Alignment can only worked on closed curves, so its likely your curve isn't actually closed. If you enter the Node Tool you should find the 'Close Curve' button is active. If you click this it will close the curve and should allow you to adjust the alignment of the stroke. If that is still causing issues then please attach the file you're using.

10 hours ago, Barrowman said:

This isn't working in 1.10 😞

6 hours ago, Barrowman said:

No unfortunately not. It was a convert from illustrator though, if that helps?

My take on it is that the curve is not closed. At some point it was broken.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Barrowman said:

That's all well and good, but ultimately a user would not expect that a line needed to be closed for the alignment of a stroke to work.

A line does not have an inside or outside. Those are properties of closed objects.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes but then those options should be greyed out in the settings, as Illustrator does. A stroke however can have a base from where a user would wish it to expand from, so I can easily see a usability reason for the option to exist to chose the base/alignment of a line irrespective whether it was closed or not.

Either way if it isn't an option it should NOT be able to be clicked. So it's a bug.

• 1 year later...

Reached this post with a very similar issue.

Although I was certain I had the endpoints correct (it SNAP, so why would it be wrong), I reasserted the endpoint again.

VOILA! It works. So if it is a bug, it is that it does not detect endpoints correctly sometimes, and not an issue with the stroke.

• 3 months later...

@Sean Pthank you so much!  This solved my problem.  I have been a long time Affinity user (at least 8 years or so now) and I have run into a handful of logos over the years that won’t allow me to adjust the stroke alignment.  I ran into this problem today and decided to search and I found this thread.  You are right…I found three open points in the logo that was preventing me from offsetting the stroke.  This is a huge time saver for me as I use this process often for machining on our CNC router and in the past, the workaround I have come up with is time consuming.  

Just wanted to say thank you and leave a comment so others may find this thread and solve similar issues.

• 1 year later...
On 8/12/2021 at 4:17 AM, walt.farrell said:

A line does not have an inside or outside. Those are properties of closed objects.

Respectfully, a 350-degree arc is an example of a curve with an inside and an outside. That said, what is needed is a way to align the stroke to one side or the other side - the nomenclature is not important. what is important is that we can easily do what all of us understand is missing. Now I have to manually move the curve to simulate a stroke alignment and if I change the stroke dimension then I have to do it all over again. Not fun
You can see in my image that I need the stroke aligned to the inside on this open curve.
Thank the powers to be for this forum I appreciate the dialogue

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 9.15.08 PM.png

Edited by Kaz Maslanka

Please look for the most current thread in the feedback section covering this topic, and add your voice there.

This section where you answered is about bugs of the legacy V1 version, and 1. the behavior is not rated as bug and 2. V1 will not get any new features or bug fixes except for installation on new OS releases.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 1/6/2024 at 12:33 AM, NotMyFault said:

Please look for the most current thread in the feedback section covering this topic, and add your voice there.

This section where you answered is about bugs of the legacy V1 version, and 1. the behavior is not rated as bug and 2. V1 will not get any new features or bug fixes except for installation on new OS releases.

Thank you!
Kaz