You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apply Master Page To Pages with New Layer and Set New Layer on Top of All Other Layers

Hey everyone, 

I'm new to Afiinity Publisher and I'm trying to edit a pdf. I've uploaded a PDF that has an old logo that is existent in over 200+ pages. 

Instead of deleting each old logo in each layer piece by piece I thought I would add a white square over the old logo and then apply the new logo over it. 

However, each time I apply this to all the other pages with the Master Page, the new layer does not cover up the old image underneath. How can it so that I can apply a layer and make sure it's at the TOP of all the other layers. 

Thank you!

Master page content is located at the bottom of the layer stack on production pages. Since the original PDF content isn't in master page elements it's going to be above anything you add via master pages. This isn't a bug, it's just the way elements are organized on a page.

What you can do after adding the master page is, on each individual page move the master content to the top of the layer stack. Select the master page layer group and Ctrl (Command on Mac) + Shift + right bracket key will move it to the top.

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)

If you search the site for Global layers you'll find three or more threads concerning the subject that would make your job far easier. 

Feel free to add your voice to any of those threads with this fairly common need case. 

If you open a PDF, the images are embedded.

You can test on a duplicate file and try to link the images, they'll be exported in another folder, and you'll be able to modify the logo to a transparent image. (If it doesn't create 200 logo... I didn't test if APub was able to replace different images by a same one.)

5 hours ago, Nikonslash said:

However, each time I apply this to all the other pages with the Master Page, the new layer does not cover up the old image underneath.

Master pages are automatically added to the bottom of the layers stack but there is a way to move them to the top on all pages in one operation

1. On any page that you have the master page applied, right-click the Master Page Layer in the Layers panel and select Edit Linked

2. With that Master page Layer still selected do Layer > Arrange > Move to Front (do not use the mouse to move the layers)

3. Click the Finish Button at the top of the screen

Now all pages that have that same Master page will have the Master page at the top of the stack

Note: The thumbnails in the Pages panel may not visually reflect that the Master page has been moved until you save, close and reopen the document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I added a B&W Filter instead of adding text. Strangely the B&W filter is not applied to any of the pages. When however adding a shape in to the Master Page, the same shape will appear on all subsequent pages.... The Black & White Filter is ONLY APPLIED to the Coloured SHAPE added in the MASTER PAGE.

But I want to apply the B&W filter to all pages, not ONLY the master page...

Any Help? Thank you

Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 18.57.14.png

Edited by JP-C
made a mistake

On 12/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, JP-C said:

But I want to apply the B&W filter to all pages, not ONLY the master page...

There are a couple of tricks needed, which I mentioned here:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Just now, walt.farrell said:

There are a couple of tricks needed, which I mentioned here:

Thank you, that reply was FAST (!!!) and helped. Indeed now it works.

I have a color scan of a music score. With B&W Filter it Affinitiy Publisher, it now gets GreyScale. Is there a way to make the grey color white while leaving the black as black as it is?

Thank you!

You're welcome.

16 minutes ago, JP-C said:

I have a color scan of a music score. With B&W Filter it Affinitiy Publisher, it now gets GreyScale. Is there a way to make the grey color white while leaving the black as black as it is?

I'm not sure. Perhaps also adding a Threshold Adjustment? But playing with the B/W Adjustment settings might also work. I'd need to play around some, but I can't right now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5