You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure this is the correct way, hopefully some of the "pros" will jump in. What I done, was just create empty layers, 1-ea for Red, Blue, and White. Then moved the respective groups into the layer. Then ungrouped the groups inside the layers. I left the Text group alone.

Sorry don't know anything about Cricut machines.

FREEDOM_2 CORINTHIANS_LAYERS.afdesign

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Hi @phoenixjen,

We have the following FAQ available for exporting documents to Cricut, please make sure to use these document/export settings for the best results - 

As Ron has mentioned, the easiest way of doing this in Affinity is simply creating empty layers and 'drag & dropping' the colour objects into their own respective layers.

I hope this helps :)

Hello Dan and Ron-

Thank you for the response.  My layers are perfect but when I select all my layers and then try and go to geometry and then to merge curves it isn't available. Also, when I upload the SVG into Cricut nothing happens. 

Now- I took the PNG exported file into Convertio.co and exported it as a SVG and it uploaded into Cricut but no color on the layers.

Edited by phoenixjen

10 minutes ago, phoenixjen said:

but when I select all my layers and then try and go to geometry and then to merge curves it isn't available.

If you select all your layers then you're including a pixel layer, and it's possible that's the reason you can't merge curves.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, phoenixjen said:

I am guessing that is the problem. Doesn't look like I can convert it to curves though.

Select it and use Layer > Convert to Curves?

Don't know if that will let you accomplish what you want, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

22 minutes ago, phoenixjen said:

Unfortunately  it still won't upload to Cricut Design Space. =(

I give up. 

Does Design Space give an error? Or, can you tell us what is wrong?

Is the live text an issue? Or that the blue hasn't had the white stars subtracted from it? Or...

8 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Does Design Space give an error? Or, can you tell us what is wrong?

Is the live text an issue? Or that the blue hasn't had the white stars subtracted from it? Or...

When I try to upload it to DS I choose the file then it goes back to the 'upload' window.  Nothing happens.  I did get it to upload by converting the PNG in Convertio.co and then uploading that SVG. When I uploaded that SVG it comes in grouped. I ungroped it but it was not separated by color/layer (the butterfly specifically) I think the text came in OK.  See attached (I moved the grouped things in the butterfly so you can see how it came in).

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 11.17.17 AM.png

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Select it and use Layer > Convert to Curves?

Don't know if that will let you accomplish what you want, though.

As far as I understand it's a pixel layer. You can't autotrace bitmaps in Designer ( I think you know that). In Designer you could only vectorize the graphic by hand, drawing curves. But there are other Apps that can do it automaticaly. The free Inkscape for example has the feature "Trace Bitmap" in its "Path" menu. That works pretty good. Even separated by colours.

Sorry, seems that I was wrong, as far as I see there are no pixel layers, but curves. I think you have to merge the curve layers of the different colours to one each colour: one layer for all blue curves, one for all red ones and one for the black ones. And even one for the white ones. Then you have to subtract the white curves form the blue ones. Finally you should only have three layers, I think: blue, red and black.

But I have to confess that I am not experienced with Cricut.

I think you should unpack all Groups first. Then merge the blue layers to one layer (Geometry: Add), the red layers to one, the black ones to one and the white ones to one, so you have four layers; Black, White, Blue and Red (from top to bottom.

9 minutes ago, phoenixjen said:

A few questions:

How did you do this.

Second- YES it did come in as separate layers.

Third- you forgot my bible verse- can you add it in for me?

You are the BEST!!!

Oops. I didn't notice the Bible verse vanishing. I've attached both the AD & .svg files.

The blue was traced so now is vector. The box around the "F" was converted to curves (Expand Stroke). The black bits were combined to a single object. The white stars/stripes were combined (forgot whether they were already).

FREEDOM_2 CORINTHIANS_LAYERS-4.afdesign FREEDOM_2 CORINTHIANS_LAYERS-4.svg

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Oops. I didn't notice the Bible verse vanishing. I've attached both the AD & .svg files.

The blue was traced so now is vector. The box around the "F" was converted to curves (Expand Stroke). The black bits were combined to a single object. The white stars/stripes were combined (forgot whether they were already).

FREEDOM_2 CORINTHIANS_LAYERS-4.afdesign 74.02 kB · 0 downloads FREEDOM_2 CORINTHIANS_LAYERS-4.svg 54.86 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you so much!! I really do want to learn how to do this stuff so this will definitely help me!!

Just now, phoenixjen said:

Thank you so much!! I really do want to learn how to do this stuff so this will definitely help me!!

One of these days we might tap your shoulder for help...

My wife walked by me when I was modifying the file and asked what I was up to. When I told her what the design was for, she walked over to her desk and grabbed an advert to show me the ad for a Cricut machine she had been looking at. So these exercises may be put to use if she decides to purchase on!

So thank you!

Mike

Just now, MikeW said:

One of these days we might tap your shoulder for help...

My wife walked by me when I was modifying the file and asked what I was up to. When I told her what the design was for, she walked over to her desk and grabbed an advert to show me the ad for a Cricut machine she had been looking at. So these exercises may be put to use if she decides to purchase on!

So thank you!

Mike

She will love it! I have the Cricut Maker. They just came out with a new Cricut Maker about a week (?) ago. I say you get it for her. ;)