You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just installed Designer on my mid 2015 MacBook Pro running Big Sur.  My masks are not coming through opaque (please see attached screen shot).  I've checked that my brush is 100" hard and opaque, the color is H0 S0 L0.  What am I missing?  Thank you. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 3.12.42 PM.png

Without knowing anything about your layer structure I doubt anybody will be able to help you much.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1. Change the Blend Mode in your first screenshot from Darken to Normal

2. Check the brush you are using is one of the basic solid brushes

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Ok, I changed the blend mode to "Normal" (why would it default to Darken instead of Normal-that doesn't seem logical)?  I've indicated the brush I was using, though I had changed the size.  I "erased" on the mask, using white, so the dog's leg was exposed, then switched to black to hide the leg again.  Same result as before-incomplete masking.  Thank you for your help. (Screen shot attached).

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 9.36.37 PM.png

Ok, the quickest way to see what the problem is would be for you to upload the Affinity document to the forum

Can you do that?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Your document is CMYK

Goto the colour Tab and switch to the CMYK sliders, then max them out to get full black

Painting on the mask should then work OK

Not sure exactly what is going on as I never use CMYK documents

dogs.png

Why even use a mask, why not keep it vector and just block it out with a curve

image.png.d59a9f4ee243cb0fdd0dd3ea81e40f09.png 

image.png.3cbdead85b8e5702d90809b4ec40dbee.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Is this a project/excercise or a job?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Why even use a mask

Exactly.

@RoywithaT, unless you are going to export only to a pixel format anyway, avoid masks in vector design. Anything affected by a mask layer will be rasterized on export. And since some parts of your design would be unaffected by the mask, some parts would be rasterized, some not, and a printed result might thus end up looking pretty ugly…
Use clipping objects instead.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

carl123, thank you, that took in-depth research.  I appreciate the effort you put into this.  After sleeping on the matter, I recalled that I have had similar issues in Designer before this-though previously it has been the white that did not completely provide masking.  I considered the history of this file-I originally created it a few years ago in Designer on this Macbook Pro when it was running Sierra (I would have to research further, but I think the very original file is from long enough ago that I may have made it in Illustrator then coverted to Designer), I moved the file to my 2020 iPad Pro where I did some work, then transferred the file back to the MBP after it was upgraded to Big Sur. So I considered that perhaps the history of this file may have left too many artifacts from the various versions it has traveled through.  I made a clean empty file on the MBP, copied my elements into it and the masking works as it should.  The transition to Big Sur has not been seamless, so part of the challenge is trying to figure out if the problem is within Affinity or with the laptop OS.

As for why CMYK-it is a project destined to be printed, and since CMYK colors are more limited than RGB I prefer to work in that color space so I can better judge my end results. (yes,even though I viewing them in a RGB environment).

Thank you again for all you help.

firstdefence, at this phase of design I am noodling options.  For me, masking is faster than fussing with clipping.  I have accepted that I have to make a pass at the end of my design process to make everything delivery ready.  I have to do this anyway because Affinity does not currently offer a way to translate my pixel layers into vector (I do miss Illustrator’s blob brush and vectorize capabilities).  Other than the issues I mention in my response to carl123, this process has worked well for me over the years. Thank you for your assistance,

14 hours ago, carl123 said:

Not sure exactly what is going on as I never use CMYK documents

I don't know what is going on either but it seems like setting K to 100 is enough to make painting on the mask 100% opaque in a CMYK document, regardless of the settings for C,M, & Y. 

This assumes all the brush settings are appropriate -- 100% brush hardness & opacity, wet edges not set, a solid untextured brush selected, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, RoywithaT said:

masking is faster than fussing with clipping.

Then invest some time and learn to understand how Affinity vector clipping works. Once you've got a grip on it, you'll be wondering why you'd even wasted so much time and effort on pixel masks… ;)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

11 hours ago, RoywithaT said:

firstdefense, responding to your later post, I don’t mind answering your question, but I’d like to see if there are any unforseen results of my answer so I am wondering what prompts you to ask me this? Thx.

Curiosity, just being nosey lol!  

firstdefense, lol, fair enough.  Project for a long-term client www.lifeisgrruff.com . Their main logo mascot is a drawing by the owner’s sister-the challenge for me was to create designs that stay somewhat true to her original drawing.  I have done about a dozen t-shirt designs for them over the years.  This set of projects is labels for subscription boxes.

On 5/31/2021 at 2:06 PM, R C-R said:

I don't know what is going on either but it seems like setting K to 100 is enough to make painting on the mask 100% opaque in a CMYK document, regardless of the settings for C,M, & Y. 

This assumes all the brush settings are appropriate -- 100% brush hardness & opacity, wet edges not set, a solid untextured brush selected, etc.

R C-R yes, generally K stands for black.  Here’s an article that explains more https://gearside.com/color-black-represented-k-cmyk/. Puzzles me why out-of-the-box settings for Designer would be anything less than 100% K.  As I explained, this is the first project in a new installation of Designer on a recently upgraded laptop, so the challenge has been sussing out which element (hardware, OS, software) is causing me difficulties.  But I do find Affinity’s mask tools to be somewhat persnickety (or could be it’s something I am regularly doing wrong, lol).  Just yesterday, masking a jpg in Photo (on the iPad Pro) when I changed from black to white the tool didn’t work-instead of revealing that which was masked it continued to cover as if I had not changed colors.  But I’ve been running into this for years, both on the laptop and on the iPad, both Photo and Designer.  It’s annoying, but restarting usually fixes the problem so I’ve never bothered pursuing it until now. Thank you for your time.

Then invest some time and learn to understand how Affinity vector clipping works. Once you've got a grip on it, you'll be wondering why you'd even wasted so much time and effort on pixel masks ;)

loukash, yes, ongoing learning is always good and I appreciate the intent of your advice is to be helpful.  But this is a forum for technical support so, in my opinion, your comment is beyond the scope of the thread.  We all work differently, despite using the same software. Thank you for your time and skills.

6 minutes ago, RoywithaT said:

your comment is beyond the scope of the thread

Not at all. Much like you can sometimes repair a wrist watch using a Swiss Army knife and a bit of luck, it is in fact the wrong tool, and many times it simply won't work the way you'd expect. So the correct advise in that case is: Use the right tool for the job. :)
Same here: If you're working in the vector domain and intend to print, avoid pixel masks whenever you can.

38 minutes ago, RoywithaT said:

Puzzles me why out-of-the-box settings for Designer would be anything less than 100% K.

Just a guess but probably because a "rich black" is considered more appropriate for everything except text.

But it is a bit surprising that painting on a mask would use a rich black in a CMYK document.

Affinity Photo 

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But it is a bit surprising that painting on a mask would use a rich black in a CMYK document.

It seems to me that the program is just using the Black that the user chose from the color wheel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell, on the color wheel, the HSL sliders were all at 0 with 100% opacity (you can see this in the first screen shot I posted).  I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect the results of using this color on a mask to be complete coverage.  Having to dive over to cmyk setting to check the k seems like an overly fussy step. But I dunno, haven’t heard from anyone at Affinity on this thread (not that you-all aren’t awesome ;-).