You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.9.4.2: Selecting "same color"

When is a "same" color the same color?
Apparently not just by sheer numbers alone:

So, the generated swatch has exactly the same color value as the object from which it was originally pulled by using the Create Palette From Document command, yet when applied to a different object, it is not considered the "same" color because it's now being applied as a swatch?

Looks definitely like a bug to me. Otherwise what would be the purpose of Create Palette From Document when they are being treated as different colors then?

While this is just an example which can be easily fixed by applying the swatch to object 1, the real trouble begins if you create a palette from documents with hundreds of colors, then attempting to find all objects where they come from and possibly reassign different (global) colors to them via Select Same. As outlined e.g. in

Or is this possibly related to

ADe 1.9.4.2, El Capitan, MacBookPro9,1

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

The Colour panel and Colour Chooser panel show identical colours but the colour picker shows different colours (weird)

Tested with 3 different colours

colours.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I see the same thing on Windows, in the 1.9.4.1048 beta. Also in the 1.9.2 retail version, so it's not a beta problem.

If I:

1. Create a new document.
  2. Set a color.
  3. Create two shapes.
  4. Select > Select Same > Fill Color will select both of them, as expected.
  5. In the Swatches panel, Create Palette from Document as Document Palette.
  6. Select > Select Same > Fill Color still selects both objects.
  7. Clicking on either shape to select it individually shows the color in the palette as highlighted:
    image.png.959f9c3018ac77930ff03140c9828f99.png

8. Click on that highlighted swatch to assign it to the selected shape.
  9. After that, click on the other shape to select it. The swatch is no longer highlighted. And Select > Select Same > Fill Color no longer selects both shapes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Also in the 1.9.2 retail version, so it's not a beta problem.

I thought so but haven't tried. Bug is a bug…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

The Colour panel and Colour Chooser panel show identical colours but the colour picker shows different colours (weird)

I see the same thing. Also, I noticed two swatches showing up in Recent, which agree with the color-picker values shown for the objects.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, carl123 said:

the colour picker shows different colours

The plot thickens!

When the padlock is enabled in Colours panel, you cannot be sure of the colour model of a colour's definition - it will show a conversion from its real definition to the padlocked colour model. You need to disengage the padlock to see the actual definition of an object or swatch's colour.

Create Palette From Document is creating LAB swatches, and so the colours in the created swatches do not precisely match the original colours in your document.

Even if your original colours are defined as LAB in a LAB document, the created LAB swatches are not guaranteed to match the original LAB colours. There appears to be a conversion from original colour definition to a mysterious colour space and then to LAB.

18 hours ago, carl123 said:

Tested with 3 different colours

colours.png

These blues are visibly different, anyway.

50 minutes ago, anon2 said:

You need to disengage the padlock to see the actual definition of an object or swatch's colour.

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, anon2 said:

There appears to be a conversion from original colour definition to a mysterious colour space and then to LAB.

And that's ultimately not a "feature"!

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Thanks!

You're welcome!

Another thing to keep in mind is that the swatch editor is not a reliable indicator of a swatch's definition.

The editor will open in the previous mode in which it was used, regardless of the colour model of the definition of the selected swatch. Say the editor was last used in HSL mode and now you decide to edit a swatch which currently has a CMYK definition. The editor will re-open in HSL mode and show a conversion of the actual CMYK definition to HSL.

• Staff

This is something that has been reported before and logged with development 

On 5/8/2021 at 2:15 PM, anon2 said:

The editor will open in the previous mode in which it was used, regardless of the colour model of the definition of the selected swatch. Say the editor was last used in HSL mode and now you decide to edit a swatch which currently has a CMYK definition. The editor will re-open in HSL mode and show a conversion of the actual CMYK definition to HSL.

This does sound especially wrong for editing swatches! I'll get this logged - thanks. :) 

7 hours ago, Sean P said:

This does sound especially wrong for editing swatches! I'll get this logged - thanks. :) 

Thanks!

I hope it was logged 6 months ago when I wrote about it in somebody's bug report thread.

• Staff
1 hour ago, anon2 said:

I hope it was logged 6 months ago when I wrote about it in somebody's bug report thread.

Best to keep to one problem per thread, as we are not perfect

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

50 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Best to keep to one problem per thread, as we are not perfect

Blame me, of course.

Sorry for assisting a fellow user.

Must have stepped on someone's toes.

One of your colleagues thanked me at the time for the information, by the way. A bit nicer than a reprimand.

I'd be more inclined to resume posting bug reports if I thought there was the remotest possibility of fixes this century.

• Staff

anon2, We are grateful for your original missed report and this subsequent one.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.