You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New appreciation for AP

Well, that was interesting ...

I'm composing this on returning home from the weekly meeting of the camera club.  Tonight, about 60% of the evening was given over to a tutorial on "Photoshop", which was actually PS Elements.  Running on a pretty beefy laptop, with W7.

I wasn't going to go but the presenter asked if I'd like to turn up with the MBP and non-PS editing software, just to have another perspective.  Sure thing guys ... just give me a thumb drive with the sample images, which they did.

It was horrific.  The presenter knew his way around the program but I got better results from APB in less than half the time for every technique they showed - and all the "beachballs" were on the W7 machine.

This was my first exposure to any PS/Adobe variant, other than a couple of 30 day trials of LR5 some months ago before settling on Capture One, and a nasty time with PSE about 6 years ago editing images for a book.  If this is what a consumer or "prosumer" PS can do, I don't know what all the fuss is about - APB knocks it out of the park.

Final comments:  it is pretty clear that the full version of PS has rightly earned its place in the toolkit of professional photographers because of what it can do for them.   For those in this category - the "New appreciation" is at the level of serious hobbyists, so no need to post replies that you couldn't live without CC6 etc ;).  And yes, I know PSE has its limitations, but it was still an eye-opener about how good AP is.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

• Staff

Thanks billtils,

That's a very interesting read for me - Elements has always been a strange beast.. sometimes they seem to bless it with their newest and shiniest tech, sometimes they actually seem to take things away from it, in new releases, to pronounce the gulf between it and the full PS..

I often find it difficult to prioritise new features for AP - to focus on the consumer, prosumer, or outright pro stuff. So far, I have leaned towards pro - and that's likely to continue. The aim of the whole Affinity range is to implement pro stuff, but hopefully make it as accessible as possible to the prosumer guys..

I'd certainly like more feedback from the folks in that camera club meeting, if that's possible!

Thanks,

A

Andy

Just a couple of problems re the feedback ... the club is heavily Windows and PS dominated.  I only know of 3 other Mac users, one of whom has just upgraded to full PS and one who already has, and likes, AP.   One of the others is nibbling and has asked for a demo, which leads to another question: is no longer having a free-trial period losing you potential customers?

I appreciate your difficulties in prioritising where to go with AP features.  I don't know much about marketing beyond the saw of "identify a want, create a need", but wonder if part of the above very small sample could be relevant:  hard core pro photographers are likely to be wedded to PS, will have invested time and money in it, and won't feel inclined to move.  "Prosumers" on the other hand neither need nor want all that comes with PS and the complexities of using it and would be more likely to switch to a powerful yet user-friendly app.   The flip side of that approach is, to paraphrase what M Thatcher said many years ago, if you aim for the middle of the road you will get run over from both sides.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

• Staff

billtills,

Thanks for the extra info - I agree that "middle of the road" is often a bad thing to aim for. We'll most likely continue to develop AP as a pro-level app which remains accessible for the prosumer community. I think there is a niche there (especially on the Mac) which we fill quite nicely at the moment.

As far as I understand it, we do still offer a free trial of AP - from our website!

Thanks again,

Andy.

billtills,

Thanks for the extra info - I agree that "middle of the road" is often a bad thing to aim for. We'll most likely continue to develop AP as a pro-level app which remains accessible for the prosumer community. I think there is a niche there (especially on the Mac) which we fill quite nicely at the moment.

As far as I understand it, we do still offer a free trial of AP - from our website!

Thanks again,

Andy.

Andy, it would be much more reassuring to say that you'll would be 'definitely' rather than 'most likely continue to develop AP as a pro-level app'.  We're seriously investing our energy into this new (and wonderful) product...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.