You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop Tool: dynamic handles needed

Hi,

The crop-tool offers 8 handles:

image.png.3d449f667fe82d297eac4bf756e1accd.png

But if you zoom into the image because you want to align the crop to an image-element, it may happen that the handles are off-screen:

image.png.3e6f715fe17688c227fbde235124b820.png

Suggestion:
* either make the position of the handles "dynamic" so that every visible crop-border offers one visible handle
or
* make the whole border act as a handle.

currently grabbing the border just moves the whole frame, which is nice but useless since moving can already be easily accomplished by grabbing anywhere inside the crop-frame.

I used to suggest this.

This would be useful for all handles (object size, position) in general, not just for the Crop tool.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

17 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

make the position of the handles "dynamic" so that every visible crop-border offers one visible handle

15 hours ago, Pšenda said:

This would be useful for all handles (object size, position) in general, not just for the Crop tool.

+1

Meanwhile, until it gets implemented which may apparently take, erm… a while, we can use guides to mark the desired position, zoom out until we see a handle, and then snap to the guide.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, loukash said:

use guides

Hm…
Just noticed an odd bug:
When you try to place a guide by dragging it from the vertical ruler with the Crop tool active, this action disables and enables guides.
Dragging from the horizontal ruler does nothing.
Duh.
So the "ugly workaround" is:

Set your crop guides with the Move tool first, before enabling the Crop tool.
Oh well… :/

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

After you've zoomed in, just drag out a crop box where you want it!

Unfortunately that wont work if the crop area is larger than the visible on-screen area.

The request, as I read it, is to be able to create a rough crop area and then zoom in to make sure the crop is ‘pixel-perfect’, and this cannot be done when the crop handles are not visible (because they are only in set places around the crop area).

As Pšenda has mentioned above, this would also be useful in ‘non-crop situations’.

As GarryP says, "Just drag out a crop box where you want it" doesn't solve the problem if you need to adjust the crop box to be pixel perfect and also large enough to extend off screen when zoomed in far enough to tell if it's aligned to the pixel.  Neither does using the keyboard.

I've explained the issue in a similar post here with images that make clear why you can't do what was suggested.

Sorry guys, I think I understand what you're trying to do now! I was assuming that you just needed to align one side accurately, then you could drag the others  once you zoom out - no use if you need to see the whole thing!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

For pixel perfect work have Snap to guides turned on as well as Force pixel alignment. draw and adjust the Guides and then crop.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.