You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

tools disappeared using separate mode

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @weiter,

Our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we're currently working through a backlog of tickets, so many thanks for your patience and understanding.

I suspect you have since resolved this issue, but should you have any further troubles with the Toolbar, it's most likely that it is 'behind' another window in your screenshot, as in separated mode the toolbar 'floats' wherever you wish on screen and this can occasionally be sorted behind other panels, making it seem as though the toolbar is not there.

Should you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

but should you have any further troubles with the Toolbar...

Just a minor point but @weiter said the tools disappeared, not the toolbar. Same advice applies thought -- the Tools panel is/was probably hiding behind another window.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

My experience is that in separated mode both tools and toolbars tend to get lost at some point. Not hidden behind panels but LOST. Only way to get them back is reset UI by starting app with ctrl key.

10 hours ago, Fixx said:

My experience is that in separated mode both tools and toolbars tend to get lost at some point. Not hidden behind panels but LOST.

I have never had that happen, but I do not use separated mode much.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for your reply. I found out that the problem occurred in the combination of separate mode and working with two screens!
It's not behind or so, it's rely gone, exactly what @Fixx said. I have to detach the second screen and reset.

I often noticed disappearing panels, bars and tools when switching these window modes with 2 monitors. The missing items seemed to be placed outside of both screens, then deactivating + reactivating them via View > Studio made the panels appear as part of a group with other panels (not in my custom set combinations) with a few pixels at the edge of the larger screen. For bars and tools it often helped to choose "Customize Tools…" / "Toolbar" which made them pop-in from the lower edge of the smaller screen.

Since the savable presets for custom UI arrangements I don't get such issues any more. The only left issue is the document background color (missing page white with workspace gray instead) when switching from Separated to Non-Separated Mode.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

21 hours ago, weiter said:

the combination of separate mode and working with two screens

When switching back to one-screen environment, temporarily change your display resolution to gather the hidden toolbars and panels. Works on MacBooks, at least.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 11 months later...