Jump to content
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Uninstall old versions of Affinity Photo on iMac


Recommended Posts

Hi again;

Today i realice that i have at least one old version of Affinity Photo on my iMac, when i tried open a RAW file with right bottom and use "open with" appear the current version 1.8.4 and an older version 1.7.3 as you can see in the screenshot who i attach..

Just for test i clicked on old version and still works so i understand that its installed on my HD .

Do you know if i can uninstall old version??

Thanks 

Ricardo Sandoval

Captura de pantalla 2020-10-21 a las 13.46.58.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Have you checked your Applications folder for multiple versions of Affinity Photo. If you do, right click > Get Info and check the version number, if it shows as being 1.7.3 you can move that icon to the Bin. You can also do a Spotlight Search for Affinity Photo to know if another version exists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ricardo Sandoval said:

Just for test i clicked on old version and still works so i understand that its installed on my HD .

To detect if there is indeed an additional version 1.7.3. installed:
Open APhoto with a right-click on a document > choose version 1.7.3.
Does it appear in the dock as an icon of its own (additionally to a second icon for v.184)?
– If yes: cmd-click this icon in the dock. This will open a finder window and show the place where the app is stored.
– If not: with APhoto active click in the menu bar on "Affinity Photo" > choose "About...". This will open the app's info ('splashscreen') and show the version number under the app name. Does it show "1.7.3" ?

macOS 10.14.6, MacBookPro Retina 15" + Eizo 27"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 12:37 AM, thomaso said:

To detect if there is indeed an additional version 1.7.3. installed:
Open APhoto with a right-click on a document > choose version 1.7.3.
Does it appear in the dock as an icon of its own (additionally to a second icon for v.184)?
– If yes: cmd-click this icon in the dock. This will open a finder window and show the place where the app is stored.
– If not: with APhoto active click in the menu bar on "Affinity Photo" > choose "About...". This will open the app's info ('splashscreen') and show the version number under the app name. Does it show "1.7.3" ?

Look the attach image when i open the version 1.7.3 is all ready run but i cant found the path of the installation folder.

721642718_Capturadepantalla2020-11-02alas13_51_47.png.785a6ed880bb0b6eb0dae0437c6ed2d6.png

after did this test I tried found the installation folder with CMD+Click but only appear one AFFINITY PHOTO folder look the next screenshot

976441262_Capturadepantalla2020-11-02alas13_52_47.png.4328c319f281ac53570362b0dcd5b99a.png

as you can see in the second file there is the 1.8.4 running to after close the older version.

1497237217_Capturadepantalla2020-11-02alas13_54_50.png.b2193fe981c4d8240ec57cf4d8eb0d4a.png

Thx for you time but i still without solve the problem??

Any other ideas

Regards Ricardo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Ricardo Sandoval said:

Any other ideas

As @thomaso suggested, open a document with version 1.7.3.

On the Dock there should be an AP icon. Right-click on that icon to pop up a menu & look for a menu item named "Options" with a submenu item named "Show In Finder." Select that. What happens?

All 3 1.10.6, & all 3 V2.03 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.6; Affinity Designer 1.10.6; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

As @thomaso suggested, open a document with version 1.7.3.

On the Dock there should be an AP icon. Right-click on that icon to pop up a menu & look for a menu item named "Options" with a submenu item named "Show In Finder." Select that. What happens?

Hi R C-R

I tested. your suggestion and appear the same in the v 1.7.3 as you can see in the next two screenshots appear this version you can chech in the second one the file is dated on 09/26/2019

1578579904_Capturadepantalla2020-11-03alas9_53_03.png.bb6d796d1db7349859fb2ad26094820b.png604793019_Capturadepantalla2020-11-03alas9_50_17.png.e9a448d9f1fb68c377589aa8aff73890.png

while in the last version 1.8.4 the same file was dated on 07/30/2020

128440199_Capturadepantalla2020-11-03alas9_54_24.png.476c4bfc397fce1f8626dcf863b490f1.png

882024480_Capturadepantalla2020-11-03alas9_54_48.png.adf07c6dbe73e7e73f09c09b783780b3.png

 

this dates was when i installed this versions so i suppose that two version were installed on my Imac

 

thx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(The Right-click > "Show in Finder" menu command appears to cause the same as a CMD-click on the dock icon)

If you open the info.plist in a text editor app:
What app version number / details do you see in the info.plist for "CFBundle(...)"? For instance to me it shows "1.8.4" and "1.8.4.186":

42973535_APinfoplistversionnumbers.jpg.e43d2b2f21a8b38892a9f4e3c2ef8846.jpg


EDIT: If you have the version 1.7.3 opened and 1.8.4 closed: Are there two AP icons? Does one or both show a white dot below the icon? Can you show a screenshot of your dock icons together with the app's "About" info screen?

macOS 10.14.6, MacBookPro Retina 15" + Eizo 27"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, thomaso said:

(The Right-click > "Show in Finder" menu command appears to cause the same as a CMD-click on the dock icon)

If you open the info.plist in a text editor app:
What app version number / details do you see in the info.plist for "CFBundle(...)"? For instance to me it shows "1.8.4" and "1.8.4.186":

42973535_APinfoplistversionnumbers.jpg.e43d2b2f21a8b38892a9f4e3c2ef8846.jpg


EDIT: If you have the version 1.7.3 opened and 1.8.4 closed: Are there two AP icons? Does one or both show a white dot below the icon? Can you show a screenshot of your dock icons together with the app's "About" info screen?

I follow your steps and with version 1.7.3 open the versions as you can see at the screenshot attached were different the first one is 1.7.3 but the second one is 1.7.155

80198620_Capturadepantalla2020-11-03alas19_39_16.png.6ee447a9df9bb7815a1785a8829a07c5.png

 

thx for your great effort to help me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, thomaso said:

In macOS another option to detect the file path of a running app is the macOS "Activity Monitor.app":

Selected a list entry > "Info" button > "Open files" (...):

758756506_activitymonitordetectappfilepath.jpg.2013c83a5723c70e51340a57d606017d.jpg

Hi;

I did your test and they have differents path as you can see in the 2 screenshots

Version 1.7.3

653950393_Pathv1.7.3.png.edc346dcc6e0d43785a4ade1957a4739.png

Version 1.8.4

948224547_Pathv1.8.4.png.287e9e0a5b63668c9a459cc11f531e36.png

thx for your help and your patience with my problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you able to have both apps launched at the same time? For instance via right-click two different image files > "Open with..."
If yes, do you get two app icons in the dock, which possibly guide you to different app files via cmd-click the icon?

The file paths in Activity Monitor mention "Library/Containers" at first. Are they installed via the Apple App Store? I wonder if there is a corrupted system entry somewhere. Also the two different "1.7.3" vs. "1.7.155" within one info.plist appear strange.

How about deleting the apps + all their related files? For instance via "AppCleaner".
To keep custom preferences you could copy (or rename) first their according folder
Apple Store:  ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/
Serif Store:  ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo

+ its related .plist file (I don't know where it's stored for Apple store installations / for Serif store it's ~/Library/Preferences/com.seriflabs.affinity[app name].plist )

macOS 10.14.6, MacBookPro Retina 15" + Eizo 27"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Ricardo Sandoval

Your screenshots show two folders named Applications. One contains the apps which come with macOS, Affinity Photo (1.8.4 ?), Photoshop 2020 and other apps you have installed. The other contains no macOS apps, Affinity Photo (1.7.3 ?), Photoshop 2018 and other apps you have installed.

Uninstalling AP 1.7.3 is a simple matter of moving it to Trash.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the 1.7.3 Activity Monitor screenshots the Path starts; /Volumes/Macintosh SSD - Datos/Applications/Affinity Photo.app etc…
Do you have other partitions on your drive or any other drives connected to you iMac?
The fact that 1.7.3 path starts with the word Volume dose suggest this to me. Perhaps a connected backup drive containing a clone of you system? Perhaps made with something like SuperDuper for example?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I share markw's assumption that the second installation is on an external drive or another partition, because in one of the screenshots showing the sidebar there is the drive "Macintosh SSD - Datos".

But I would like to mention one more thought, which probably does not apply to your problem, but is still worth checking.

In macOS there is the possibility to install apps for all users of the Mac or only for a certain user.
So there can be two Applications folders in the system where apps are installed:

  • in the root directory of the system in "Macintosh HD/Applications"
  • in the user's home folder in "Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Applications"

Therefore my suggestion: Check your home folder to see if there is an Applications folder and if there is an installation of Affinity Photo inside.

Based on the screenshots I have come to the assumption that there is an installation of Affinity Photo in the Applications folder in the root directory and ianother installation of Affinity Photo in the Applications folder inside the Home folder. With CMD + I you can find out the version and then delete the old version.

As written, this is just a thought and does not have to apply to your problem, but I didn't want to leave it unmentioned and I think markw's hint ist more accurate.

Affinity Photo V2.0.4 | Affinity Designer V2.0.4 | Affinity Publisher V2.0.4

Mac Mini 2020 | 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 | 32 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD | macOS Monterey 12.6.3 | EIZO CS2740 4K UHD
MacBook Pro Retina, 15", Mitte 2015 | 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB SSD | macOS Monterey 12.6.3

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, anon2 said:

@Ricardo Sandoval

Your screenshots show two folders named Applications. One contains the apps which come with macOS, Affinity Photo (1.8.4 ?), Photoshop 2020 and other apps you have installed. The other contains no macOS apps, Affinity Photo (1.7.3 ?), Photoshop 2018 and other apps you have installed.

Uninstalling AP 1.7.3 is a simple matter of moving it to Trash.

 

thx for your help Ill try this afternoon

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Ricardo Sandoval said:

Ill try this afternoon

You can try to identify the path to an applications folder in the macos finder with right-click on the title bar. This would show its related disk (partition/volume/container)

507772822_pathtoapplicationsfolder.jpg.d7c8bb6fd6c32ec350a805ad48c847d6.jpg

macOS 10.14.6, MacBookPro Retina 15" + Eizo 27"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi i 

12 hours ago, Kaffeepause said:

I share markw's assumption that the second installation is on an external drive or another partition, because in one of the screenshots showing the sidebar there is the drive "Macintosh SSD - Datos".

But I would like to mention one more thought, which probably does not apply to your problem, but is still worth checking.

In macOS there is the possibility to install apps for all users of the Mac or only for a certain user.
So there can be two Applications folders in the system where apps are installed:

  • in the root directory of the system in "Macintosh HD/Applications"
  • in the user's home folder in "Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Applications"

Therefore my suggestion: Check your home folder to see if there is an Applications folder and if there is an installation of Affinity Photo inside.

Based on the screenshots I have come to the assumption that there is an installation of Affinity Photo in the Applications folder in the root directory and ianother installation of Affinity Photo in the Applications folder inside the Home folder. With CMD + I you can find out the version and then delete the old version.

As written, this is just a thought and does not have to apply to your problem, but I didn't want to leave it unmentioned and I think markw's hint ist more accurate.

Hi reading your answer i realice that last year I upgrade my HDD to an SDD drive and the apple support made me a backup partition .... today i uninstalled that partition because i have allready backup in an external disk .... and all the problems with the old version dissapear.

Thx all for your great help.

Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

You can try to identify the path to an applications folder in the macos finder with right-click on the title bar. This would show its related disk (partition/volume/container)

507772822_pathtoapplicationsfolder.jpg.d7c8bb6fd6c32ec350a805ad48c847d6.jpg

i have double installation of all software because i upgraded the HDD to an SDD and in the service did a backup

thx for your constant help 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.