You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

brush from pixel selection

thx for this new feature to create a brsuh from a selection. But, this brush will allways be an "image brush" - if i change the brush-color it dosent effect the brush. Is this behavior  a "feuture or bug? I would like to decide if i want this brush as a pixel- or as a instensive-brush. Any possible to change this?

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• Staff

You can create an intensity brush from a mask layer—bear in mind however that it will use the document bounds for the brush unless you make an active selection of the mask contents first (CMD-click). I’ve queried this behaviour as I can’t think of any scenario where you would want the entire document bounds being used for the brush contents..

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

On 10/21/2020 at 1:51 PM, James Ritson said:

You can create an intensity brush from a mask layer—bear in mind however that it will use the document bounds for the brush unless you make an active selection of the mask contents first (CMD-click). I’ve queried this behaviour as I can’t think of any scenario where you would want the entire document bounds being used for the brush contents..

True... i can also use a FX with "peplace color".... but thats also too long-winded! I would prefer to have the option to have a "one-click-possibility". In 80% i will use it so or so, without any "un-nessary" extra steps.  Maybe thats "small-minded", but im a "fighter" for efficiency and "less-click-as-posibble" and i believe its not the the "feature itself", its often the "shortest way" to get MOST  of features, why people prefer this APP for another app with (quiet) similar features!  I "accept" new long-wided features just by REALLY new stuff... like DESIGNER would get the possibility of the FREE knob-man inside (i´m a VST-GUI Designer... and would BUY Designer hjuts for this... without this, there is no reason for me, to buy....) ... but small thinks like "take brush-dip" from selection".... is not really new/unique...! 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, I'm exploring this feature.

I've figured out how to create a New Intensity Brush, but I do agree with both MEB and Polygonius... It is a bit "hidden" feature...

I have clear the reason why you decided to focus on Image-First approach (AP is a Photo Editor) but for the same feature I guess in AD a user should expect the very opposite.

Why not placing a Setting to swap this behaviour in Preferences?

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.