AntiqueFlaneur

How can I surround a text frame with a visible black border?

I'm putting a caption below a picture and would like to surround the text frame with a solid black line on all sides. I'm sure this functionality is in Affinity Publisher, but I just wasted a good 30 minutes looking through menus and searching google with no luck (probably don't know the right words to search). Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

If I understand you correctly you are looking for the Stroke option in View > Studio > Text Frame

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

It is very confusing and not logical in Publisher. If text frame is selected, fill must color the background (not text) and stroke must change the thickness of the frame (not text). Just like in InDesgn. It's a good idea to add "T" icon in:

1. Swatches panel and if it is activated then you can add fill and stroke fill to the selected text, otherwise you can fill the text box background or text frame, and to the
  2. Stroke panel were you can control if a border/outline is added to a text frame or to a selected text.

Dell Inspiron 7559 i7    Windows 10 x64 Pro
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )    16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive    UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display

3 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

It is very confusing and not logical in Publisher.

Not too confusing if you consider that Text Frames are objects in their own right, separate from the text inside them.

Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 40GB RAM; macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 14.0.1

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Not too confusing if you consider that Text Frames are objects in their own right, separate from the text inside them.

OK then, InDesign is confusing. :)

Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )    16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive    UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display

1 hour ago, Petar Petrenko said:

OK then, InDesign is confusing. :)

InDesign? Or Designer?

Designer simply does not have the function to put a stroke or a fill on a Text Frame; those are both Publisher-only functions.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.903 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.903 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.902 Beta.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

InDesign? Or Designer?

InDesign.

6 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

It is very confusing and not logical in Publisher.

+1

The problem with those contextual mini-panels for colour/tint/gradient is that sometime it make it difficult to choose the colour or swatch you want when you're able to do this easily for other item relying mainly on the same option.

Because you've got a contextual colour | tint | gradient and inside it, if you want to modify or set a colour, you'll open a sub-mini-colour | tint, etc.

Sometime, it seems like there are colour panels everywhere...

Edited by Wosven
Forget the quote!

12 hours ago, Wosven said:

Sometime, it seems like there are colour panels everywhere...

Yes. For the start they could join Colors and Swatches paletes like Paragraph and Character styles and put all boxes, sliders and wheels to be visible all the time. So, we can use what we want at once, and decide in which format to save the colors named like:

• C25 M25 Y15 K0
  • R253 G120 B80
  • H20 S5 L18.