You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inaccuracy

See screenshot: I export a document and get an extra pixel (You can see the dimensions at the left and right (in the studio))

Also: I export a png that has a black rectangle at the bottom which goes 3mm off the artboard because I also need it for print. When I open the png in Photoshop I find a 1pixel transparency around the image borders making the rectangle not going fully to the border.

674012864_Screenshot2020-05-07at16_25_34.png.28b702375188c271f1652fdf8d11ca14.png

27 minutes ago, abra100pro said:

I export a document and get an extra pixel (You can see the dimensions at the left and right (in the studio))

Note the X position in the Transform studio, which is at 3134.67 px. That will result in you getting an extra pixel in your output. You need to ensure that objects are placed on integral X/Y pixel coordinates and have integral W/H pixel values.

If you enable snapping, and have the Force Pixel Alignment option on, and Move by Whole Pixels off, you can nudge that jobect to get it to an integer pixel position. Or you can simply set the X value to 3134 via the Transform panel.

For your Artboard and rectangle issue: When you setup the document, did you specify a bleed value? If not, I think that nothing outside the artboard will export.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt

Hmm, I must say, this is a mayor p**a - no need to worry about that in Photoshop, Illustrator - this makes no sense to me. 2560px are 2560px.  I export the artboard and I really don't care where it is on the canvas. Serif might rethink that, please.

Secondly: The artboard has a bleed of 3mm and the rectangle does not even go to the border - see image as seen in Photoshop. 

Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 15.11.13.png

44 minutes ago, abra100pro said:

I must say, this is a mayor p**a

Many have complained about it. But if you start out with Snapping enabled, and Force Pixel Alignment enabled, and are careful not to override snapping when copying or moving items, it should work out reasonably simply.

46 minutes ago, abra100pro said:

Secondly: The artboard has a bleed of 3mm and the rectangle does not even go to the border -

I would need to see the actual .afdesign file to comment further on that.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff
On 5/8/2020 at 2:12 PM, abra100pro said:

Secondly: The artboard has a bleed of 3mm and the rectangle does not even go to the border - see image as seen in Photoshop. 

Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 15.11.13.png

As Walt has said we'd need to see the AFDesign file, however have you ensured that your black background is extended into the Bleed Area? If your document has bleed enabled, you still need to ensure objects are placed in the bleed area for the bleed to work.

• Staff

What format are you exporting too?

There is a known issue that the Bleed does not show in-app on documents that use artboards - this is with development to fix. As for exporting what format are you outputting to? It is being output for me when exporting to PDF with Include Bleed enabled in the export dialog.

• Staff

Thanks Oval! I may have missed that - I did have a quick look above, but didn't realise it was mentioned in the OP. 😩

I believe there should be a checkbox to Include Bleed, but for some reason, that only seems to be visible for JPG and PDF. Ideally it should also be there for both TIFF and PNG as well. I will get this passed on to development.

Thanks for your feedback. My expectation would be the app to export to the last pixel of the documentborder when it is the same (or even extending borders with bleed) whether I have bleed included or not. Actually with bleed included I expect the png to become larger in its dimensions.

• Staff

Hi abra100pro,

It turns out there is a Bleed option under 'More' options for PNG. However with an Artboard this will export the bleed area, but fail to export the objects in the bleed - this is something we do have reported. If you remove the Artboard (Click Keep Objects) and then export after clicking 'Include Bleed' under 'More' you should be able to export your document to PNG with bleed.

• 9 months later...

This bevaviour (I call it a bug!) is still there in 1.9.1.

This situation cannot be that exotic: I have a bunch of artboards with (in this case) two sizes: 1080x1080px und 1080x1920px - I can't manage to export them in this very size!!! Some are ± 1px of their effective size. It drives me nuts!

I placed each of the artboards on integer numbered x-/y-positions (no decimals) - which is in itself absurd as canvas is canvas - artboard is artboard! But nevertheless they don't come out as they should. This cannot make any sense in any way! I must admit I am very disappointed to see this bug still in there. It literally costs me a ton of time.

I exported them via export persona. The only workaround is that I set width and height in this insanely small size-field of each slice separately (36 slices with different dimensions!.)

My document: See image.

Please, Serif, fix this terribly annoying bug.

many-Artboards.png

18 minutes ago, abra100pro said:

I placed each of the artboards on integer numbered x-/y-positions (no decimals)

How did you do that, and how did you verify the positioning? Have you set your Preferences so Affinity will display at least three decimal places for px units?

Can you share a document where you're sure you've placed an Artboard properly but it comes out the wrong size when you export it?

-- Walt
PC:

I don't know if this is related, but I'm getting precision errors when making an artboard from an existing document.  I have an A4 document with a bunch of logos on it.  These are all drawn to a millimetre grid, so vertices snap to the grid, object centre points/pivot points snap to the grid etc. I then want to isolate a single logo on it's own artboard so I draw an artboard with snapping enabled, carefully making sure it is exactly placed on the grid. The resultant artboard is the expected width/height dimensions, and inherits the millimetre grid system, but the objects contained within are not aligned to that grid, having shifted in position by a fraction of a millimetre.  I would have thought this could not occur unless the origin of the artboard has shifted from it's initial placement. I'm currently getting around this by moving everything to illustrator and separating the logos onto artboards there, but would like to be able to do it in Affinity.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

8 hours ago, AndyQ said:

I don't know if this is related, but I'm getting precision errors when making an artboard from an existing document.  I have an A4 document with a bunch of logos on it.  These are all drawn to a millimetre grid, so vertices snap to the grid, object centre points/pivot points snap to the grid etc. I then want to isolate a single logo on it's own artboard so I draw an artboard with snapping enabled, carefully making sure it is exactly placed on the grid. The resultant artboard is the expected width/height dimensions, and inherits the millimetre grid system, but the objects contained within are not aligned to that grid, having shifted in position by a fraction of a millimetre.  I would have thought this could not occur unless the origin of the artboard has shifted from it's initial placement. I'm currently getting around this by moving everything to illustrator and separating the logos onto artboards there, but would like to be able to do it in Affinity.

If you can share a document it would probably be useful, Andy.

I have one thought: A millimeter grid will not be aligned to the pixel grid, and if you have Force Pixel Alignment active in your Snapping settings that might be related to what you're seeing. Also, I have a vague memory of one of the Serif staff saying something about a 1.9 enhancement to force artboards onto the pixel grid. I have not seen anything more about that, nor done any experimenting, but if that memory is correct it might be playing a part in your problem, too.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I have one thought: A millimeter grid will not be aligned to the pixel grid, and if you have Force Pixel Alignment active in your Snapping settings that might be related to what you're seeing. Also, I have a vague memory of one of the Serif staff saying something about a 1.9 enhancement to force artboards onto the pixel grid. I have not seen anything more about that, nor done any experimenting, but if that memory is correct it might be playing a part in your problem, too.

I don't have the pixel snapping enabled, just snap to grid and guides. The artboard can't be snapping to anything else. It certainly looks as though it's snapping to the visible grid intersections when I create the artboard. I'm currently finishing off the job after a work-around (just making a load of separate documents and adjusting the document sizes) but I'd like to see if anyone else can reproduce this - i.e. setup a document with a coarse grid to make it easy, add an object that snaps to grid points, create an artboard by snapping to grid intersections around that object and see if the the object moves "off grid" in the resultant artboard (you need a few decimal places displayed to be sure). I'll get back to some more testing myself when I get a chance, to see if there's something I've overlooked. Cheers!

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

1 hour ago, AndyQ said:

I don't have the pixel snapping enabled, just snap to grid and guides. The artboard can't be snapping to anything else. It certainly looks as though it's snapping to the visible grid intersections when I create the artboard. I'm currently finishing off the job after a work-around (just making a load of separate documents and adjusting the document sizes) but I'd like to see if anyone else can reproduce this - i.e. setup a document with a coarse grid to make it easy, add an object that snaps to grid points, create an artboard by snapping to grid intersections around that object and see if the the object moves "off grid" in the resultant artboard (you need a few decimal places displayed to be sure). I'll get back to some more testing myself when I get a chance, to see if there's something I've overlooked. Cheers!

It might be good to start your own topic somewhere, rather than trying to attract attention (especially from Serif) in this old one :)

-- Walt
PC:

On 3/1/2021 at 10:46 PM, walt.farrell said:

How did you do that, and how did you verify the positioning? Have you set your Preferences so Affinity will display at least three decimal places for px units?

Can you share a document where you're sure you've placed an Artboard properly but it comes out the wrong size when you export it?

Hi Walt, no file needed - I explain it in my post above this one - 100% replicable.

• Staff

Hi @abra100pro,
The issue with artboards on non-integer X,Y values was already fixed for the File > Export command so if you use it with one of the artboards (don't forget to set the Area dropdown to that artboard) it should export with the correct dimensions. I understand that's not applicable/practical with files with such a high numbers of artboards - I'm just informing you about it.The Export Persona however wasn't fixed yet, sorry, but this is logged with the developers.

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @abra100pro,
The issue with artboards on non-integer X,Y values was already fixed for the File > Export command so if you use it with one of the artboards (don't forget to set the Area dropdown to that artboard) it should export with the correct dimensions. I understand that's not aplocable to files with such a high numbers of artboards -I'm just letting you know about it.The Export Persona however wasn't fixed yet, but this is logged with the developers.

Hi, Thanks a ton - really great to hear. I'm glad it is addressed and hope that it finds its fix, soon.